What box for me?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 00:40   #1 (permalink)
XC_1978

What box for me??

hi all,
i own a ford falcon XC 1978. im restoring it and im looking for a gearbox.
im after a automatic. the motor is a 302 clevland. it has had a little work done to it. nothing crazy. im looking for a box that would suit it. i want to cruise it not drag race it. if i did race it then it would be in a road rally. help please!!!
XC_1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 03:41   #2 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

Re: What box for me??

Early V8 Falcons came out with the Ford C4 transmission or the Ford FMX. Either of those should be ok if your just wanting a standard type setup. The Ford C6 was a stronger version that came out on higher horsepower engines.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:15   #3 (permalink)

Re: What box for me??

I agree with the previous post. C6 is a really good option for automatic, it's also within the range of standard equipment. Let's face it, the relative rarity of even late 70's falcons (compared to the relative abundance of the mustang) will mean they will ride the wave that almost all australian cars of yesteryear have. Keeping your falcon in close-to-original-standard may pay dividends.

I had a C6 on my f100 ambulance (351cleve) which ran a tunnel ram setup, and the gearbox was stock(for an ambo), yet bulletproof. Not so the diff (9inch).

On the Manual end of the spectrum - it's got to be fmx. but you have to love manual too. It's no modern 5 or 6 speed, and traffic snarls will quickly end your love affair with the falcon.

If you are not afraid to depart from the original equipment there are heaps of mods and adapter setups for all sorts of gearboxes, especially on the 302 block basis. Go see a gearbox refurbisher and get some pro advice, or be super cheeky and call up classified ads with similiar age resto cars and ask them what they are running.
ltrehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons