Ford Forums banner

What colour XR6?

4K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Shaker 
#1 ·
I am about to buy a 1 year old XR6 so it'll be an MKI. Question is, what colour.

I have narrowed it down in my mind to blueprint and silver/mercury. Any opinions on these two or perhaps suggest another?

I want something that looks sporty but not too out there (ie. yellow), and would look nice with black leather seats and 18" XR8 alloys in the future.

Not black either, too hard ot keep clean.

I cant make up my mind whether or not silver looks good or too bland.

#3 ·
Don't go for the Mercury Silver if the car is more or less standard (wheels, etc)...I think that colour looks a bit bland without other features to help it.

Blueprint certainly stands out, but if want something that can also be subtle, then I would add Phantom, the dark green (name?) and Envi.

#7 ·
I have a mercury silver XR6T - yes it is a little bland, but it does not need constant cleaning and it does not show up any scratches or dirt. That is why we chose it for an every day car. If you want to spice it up, put bold stripes or big wheels on it. My GT-P is Blueprint and looks better, but shows up dust, swirl marks etc. A Friend has the purple colour and it is the worst to keep clean and scratch free.

#9 ·
conan said:
My GT-P is Blueprint and looks better, but shows up dust, swirl marks etc. A Friend has the purple colour and it is the worst to keep clean and scratch free.

Agreed, I had a phantom XR8 and it was just as bad as black to keep looking nice. Like black however when it was clean it looked fantastic!! I'd go Blueprint, it's just a very special colour that always looks fantastic IMO.

#12 ·
I think you have chosen well draculr, the Blueprint and the Mercury Silver are both very good colours. I prefer the Mercury Silver, being on an XR6 that colour looks very classy even with the standard 17 inch wheels. Someone mentioned Envi but that is a Mk II colour and not available on the Mk I models.

#17 ·
draculr said:
What do you guys think of red XR6's?

Is it tacky to have black stripes on a red XR6 or do you think it's ok?
The red in the Mk I XR6 is different to the Mk II colour, I wouldn't have stripes on it unless Ford put them on originally, I reckon it would devalue the car if you did. It would be alright if it was on a $1500 shitbox, but you're talking about a car that's still worth mid $30's

#18 ·
draculr said:
I am about to buy a 1 year old XR6 so it'll be an MKI. Question is, what colour.

I have narrowed it down in my mind to blueprint and silver/mercury. Any opinions on these two or perhaps suggest another?

I want something that looks sporty but not too out there (ie. yellow), and would look nice with black leather seats and 18" XR8 alloys in the future.

Not black either, too hard ot keep clean.

I cant make up my mind whether or not silver looks good or too bland.
Aghh.......... It's your car make your own mind up!!!!

#19 ·
The only thing I dont like about silver is the fact that it blends in with the
bitumen and makes you hard to spot on the highway and in the rain.
Had a few close calls with a silver fairmont I used to own and people would
say " sorry mate but I didnt see you coming "
Just something to think about.

#20 ·
Mercury silver changes a lot with the light - can look very light sometimes, but on dull days just looks grey. I ALWAYS have the foglights on if the sun isn't shining! But I think it suits the XR and it's a good colour if you don't want to wash your car every week.

My favorite XR colour would be Vixen Red, but not sure if you can get it on a 1-year old car. Envi is really a Territory colour and looks a bit pale on the Falcon.

#22 ·
3984cc said:
Mercury Silver is the colour of my XR6 MkII.
Yours ..or your dads?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.