What to do... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2004, 06:31   #1 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

What to do...

hello boys and girls

Finally got a straight answer as to what the Fairmont needs in the front end. Radius rod bushes (or inner control arm bushes i think) are shagged, both inner and outer. Have had a Pedders special quote of 210 supplied and fitted. 170 from another decent suspension shop

120 including wheel alignment to remove my front struts and adjust the shocks (koni reds)

And a possible sticking brake caliper. 190 bucks to overhaul the front pair (wont do one cause of the ABS, have to have the pair done) and another 55 each side to machine the disks. Im not so sure about this one the car doesnt pull to the left at all...

Now, im in two minds as to what to do. I have no tools to do any of this work myself. I cant say I have ever tried doing this work myself. But after having worked the past few months on stuff totally foreign and reading lots of manuals on how to go about things, and reading thru my Gregories manual, i reckon i could give it a shot. The problem is I'll have to guess as to exactly what tools im going to need, and im not going to have the car available to go get stuff I have forgotten. Or if i stuff it all up, i wont be able to really move the bastard.

Are the bushes im talking about press fit? if not, i should be able to tackle that one easily enough, especially with some FF expertise :) The front struts are more of a concern due to the shims in my camber kit. But on 2nd thoughts, I'll need a wheel aligment anyway so that wont matter....hmmm.

So, who reckons i should give it a go myself? Wanting to hear from dudes who have done this before...and if anyone can give me a more definate way to go about it (in regards to tools, what i should undo first, pitfalls etc) i would be most appreciative.

Oh and yea, almost forgot. Is it wise to try overhauling my calipers myself assuming the are binding and the piston might be a bit of a biatch to get back in???????

thanks all.

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2004, 08:40   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: What to do...

The bushes are dead easy. Bolt over covers, for the most part.
Dunno about adjusting Koni shocks.
Calipers can definitely be rebuilt by you, just as long as you have a vice to squeeze the piston back in.

The big thing is not to tighten the bushes up fully until the car's on the deck. Otherwise you lock them in the wrong position = extra stress = shagged bushed pretty damn quick

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 17:53   #3 (permalink)
EB wagon

Hey garth, if you end up doing the bushes yourself, let me know how you go coz i gotta do mine too!! Calipers are shit easy.. (ABS tho, hmm) pistons dont give much trouble.

Brent
EB1 3.9L MPI Falcon Wagon with converted T5 / Pacemaker & 2.5" Redback sports exhaust / 2" lowered blocks at the rear, Kings lows up front / ED Tickford Head and Cam / K&N panel filter with XH intake Snorkel / Full EL Fairmont interior with woodgrain

89 EA1 3.9L TBI Falcon Sedan with 3 speed auto / currently being upgraded...
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 18:29   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Vice? Use a g-clamp!
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 22:06   #5 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

Ok thinking about it more today

The powers that be here in my unit block arent going to take kindly me ripping apart my car in their clean underground carpark. A big tarp will fix.

I dont have chassis stands, or a decent jack, let alone the spanners i need.

I reckon I'll just pay this mob to do the bushes, and pull the Konis out, and I'll go to a wrecker and buy some calipers and overhaul them myself while off the car. This is pretty much the last suspension item i need to do, and I cant really justify the cost of buying stands and jacks when paying someone to do the work is comparitive $$$ wise. When i manage to buy myself a house, and a garage, then I'll be able to go gun ho pulling shit out.....till then, i'll put food on a tradies table :)

but in all seriousness, after looking at the Gregories, its a pretty piss easy job to do (the bushes) im yet to look too hard into the calipers.....do repco sell a overhaul kit?

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 15:36   #6 (permalink)
-

im going to try and rebuild my EF's rear calipers soon.. anyone got a scan from a gregories or a haynes manual for me? :D

Jase
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 05:12   #7 (permalink)
E-Series wagon owner

mmmm..... i got an ea gregories manual i could scan if it'd be any help

Mods to come: 2.5'' lukey cat-back mandrel bent exhaust with 1 resonator and 1 straight thru muffler, EF cam, Clear indicatros all round, AU3 XR snorkel, 17" Keizzer rims, EDxr front,12"sub,sports wheel

In Progress: EF door trims

Pics Here: www.edwagon.tk
mad_ea_spac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons