Ford Forums banner

What Kw Increase do Different modifications hold?

3K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  b-juggles 
#1 ·
Im interested to find out what modifications people have done to thier cars, and what Kw increases they were promised/looking for.

For example;
Performance Air Filters - Up to 3 Kw increase
Cold Air induction System - Up to 7 Kw Increase

Just wondering about the gains from chips, xorst's, bigger injectors, etc

G
#3 ·
this is what i know..

Extractors + 2.5" system should give you a 20% increase in power. So, if fitted to an EF-AU Hp XR6, You *should* get from 164 kw's to around 190kw's.. Add a nice cold air induction system and maybe a bigger camshaft, and you might be looking at about 200kw's at the flywheel..

Though, 200kw's on a straight six does require those mods above which ain't cheap.

Extractors ~$500
Exhaust ~$600
Cam ~$800?? help me out here guys, i'm not sure of the cam..

Cold air unduction can be done yourself with a little knowhow :)

Good luck

-------------------------------------------------------------
After reading your post again for a second time, i realised you asked what people had done to THEIR OWN cars, and i haven't done the cam or extractors yet. I've only done the 2.5" exhaust system, with the extractors coming soon..

As for the cam, i'm not sure as i have the XR6 model already, which has a performance camshaft and bigger exhaust valves, so maybe just a nice cold air induction using the bonet scratches and some kind of sequential scoop..

I'm looking for 200kw's at the fly, but, i'm not the kind of person to get their car dyno'd.. if i'm happy with the drivability and responsiveness, i don't need to prove it by putting it on a machine that is only partly accurate anyway..

Cheers,
Yagz

#5 ·
And if you pay that much for exhaust and extractors you should be getting a damn fancy exhaust and the best mirror finish extractors

#8 ·
If you get a decent exhaust and extractors fitted in a good place your probably looking around 15 to 20 kws @ the wheels. Depending on the car. Filters dont give you a lot of power but they are a good investment. Depending on the brand and style (panel or pod) it can give you around 2 to 5 max at the wheels. A good chip can give you some decent power and also economy. A chip works best on a car that has a couple of mods already. It can probably give you from around 6 to 20 kws at the wheels depending on the car and what mods have been done.

My Ef 6 cyl. has 150RWKW + more to come hopefully when i get some cash. :)))

#9 ·
What mods have you done to get 150RWKW?
I'd like to get that much out of mine :p

#10 ·
Would steer clear of off the shelf chips (powerchip and the like) a guy in the tickford club did a dyno run before and after the chip. The car produced more power WITHOUT the chip.

I also spoke to the guys at POWERCHIP as i was interested in powerchip gold....the guy could not provide me with a dyno chart of falcon they had tested the gold chip on...when asking how they verified this figure I was given no response and that was the last time I ever heard from them....wouldn waste my time IMO.

unless you get a chip that is programed in real time on the dyno (eg UNICHIP) dont bother.

SICk-EF-II do you have a mock dev kit to get that power? if not what mods have you done?

also those of you with generic off the shelf chips, how have you verified increased output....on a dyno/down the 1/4 or just by what the car 'feels' like......

#11 ·
Hi All,

I was chatting to Mick Webb at SVO today and asking him this type of thing. The basic figures he mention (i have an AUIII) was :
Tickford snorkle and K&N filter was good for about 2 - 3 kw
Full exhaust system - extractors right to the end 2.5" about 20kw.
Hope this helps

Scotty

#12 ·
I am very skeptical about this '20kw' increase an exhaust gives you. I think at most it would be 15kw and because no one hear has a new 4.0 most have done some clicks the chances of getting that are lower still.

You see, my ED fairmont is totally stock as far as the power plant goes. And before my mate bought his XR6 T he had a EBII with extractors and exhaust and intake. Not to mention a 3.27 diff.

I raced him many times and to say the least, his car was a fair bit slower than mine. At ALL times. Off the line, throught the gears and top end. All the exhaust did was make it louder.

I think the only way to get you car to go faster is to look into the head in more detail. Starting with at least a cam!

20% increase in exhaust isn't strictly true. If it is then its all top end where you won't notice it because I have yet to see the results of making a pipe bigger! :1poke:

#14 ·
Hi all,

Just a quick one irt a stage 2 crow cam. Do you have to do anything to the ecu, or can you just fit it straight in.

I inquired about this last year and was advised not to do it. Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew..........

#15 ·
I think the problem with this question is that on different setups, different mods work better or worse.

If you have a clapped out old engine (250,000km or more say), you're not gonna get anywhere near as much power from extractors or even a cam as a new engine of the same kind. Also, the newer engines benefit less as far as I can see, because the parts they use are already more performance oriented. This is why someone like JMM with the DEV kits will offer the same rwkw from an EA as a AU, cause the AU already has most of the stuff required, so the performance boost is minimal, and obviously the EA gets a huge boost.

#16 ·
Tomorrow, my 92 model 5.0L goes in to receive $2300 worth of exhaust. This entails 'Pacemaker Competition' headers, new 'Hi-Flow' cats, and a single 3" system with Lukey mufflers.

It will be interesting to see what difference this makes on the dyno. After this is a UniChip and performance air induction. Originally my target was 200Kw at the motor, but it's looking like up to 215+.

#21 ·
Guys... I was recently at my local "Oak Flats Muffler Men", they have a poster on the wall there that is advertising a full exhaust system for the VT, VX, and VY. It is a Humax Ehaust that advertises from the cat back in Stainless steel, and I quote "up to 44kw power increase", with dual 2.5 inch Mandlebend system" I assume this is with the Headers too. I just called them up to make sure that I got the quote right. So that's an interesting bit of info, although it is on GMH not Ford

Mike

#22 ·
Well, got the system on. For the $2300 I got the system outlined above, except it is one muffler, not two, but it is twin Hi-Flow cats. I believe the piping is stainless (I saw it before they painted it as the car wasn't quite ready). Keep in mind that the 3" pipes are from the competition headers back, not just the tailpipe...man that's a big pipe!

Sounds excellent and seems a little better performance-wise. Best guess (until it goes on the dyno) is that the system has picked me up 15 to 20Kw. I know it's a lot of money, but there is no half baked attempts on this car, like I have done in the past.

The advantage of this exhaust setup will really show when I get the UniChip and airpod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.