What to look for in an EB - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2004, 05:49   #1 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

What to look for in an EB

Well guys looks like I may be upgrading

Shes a EB series 1 wagon. I have had a quickish look over her & shes straight as and the paint is schmick.

There is a smallish oil leak which I think is a front seal on the gear box but I will check it out more tommorow........

What else should I be looking at ???????

:fairy

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2004, 06:00   #2 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

Re: What to look for in an EB

If its a 4 speed, have a good drive. Listen and feel for the box. If its a bit harsh on changes, or feels like its slipping a bit, expect a service (or even reco)

Look at the block for coolant stains. Look at the radiator overflow bottle to make sure it has coolant. Check oil for milkiness. Check front of engine for leak at half mood (where rocker cover meets head). Listen for noisy tappets. Listen for a poofy sound from the exhaust (a hole). Look for smoke when you rev it. Have a look at the tyre wear, if its wearing on the inner edge it needs wheel alignment (we have always got camber kits on all our Eseries cars as soon as we buy them). Also, make sure the shocks arent stuffed, and the wagons also have their front springs sag (our EB is doing the head down bum up act at the moment actually). But basically, I'd be looking at the head first, make sure it hasnt blown a gasket.

Oh yeah, make sure that Fuel pump works too MN :)

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:10   #3 (permalink)
E-Series wagon owner

look for sagging doors like my wagon has
and just for general leaks and rust bubbles , even in the tailgate area

Mods to come: 2.5'' lukey cat-back mandrel bent exhaust with 1 resonator and 1 straight thru muffler, EF cam, Clear indicatros all round, AU3 XR snorkel, 17" Keizzer rims, EDxr front,12"sub,sports wheel

In Progress: EF door trims

Pics Here: www.edwagon.tk
mad_ea_spac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:14   #4 (permalink)
No longer around

dont you have a sedan tommi? ea with smashed front from memory....
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:26   #5 (permalink)
E-Series wagon owner

nup ea goes soon and wagon comes
oh and btw the front ain't smashed no more but it's been converted to stock
oh and what do you mean by smashed? it was just a little scratch and bent uni bar

but any way back to topic look out for any shifty noises comming from the engine too because they usually lead to problems

Mods to come: 2.5'' lukey cat-back mandrel bent exhaust with 1 resonator and 1 straight thru muffler, EF cam, Clear indicatros all round, AU3 XR snorkel, 17" Keizzer rims, EDxr front,12"sub,sports wheel

In Progress: EF door trims

Pics Here: www.edwagon.tk
mad_ea_spac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:10   #6 (permalink)
wants a manual!

just make sure everything works too. and dont be afraid to give it a hard time when test driving it as this will show up problems which might not be recognisable in normal driving.
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:35   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Why the 'upgrade'? Its not really that much of an upgrade in terms of interior styling/ features, The only thing it has over your EA is the 4 speed and possibly MPI
Old 06-17-2004, 03:09   #8 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Mother Nature]Well guys looks like I may be upgrading

Shes a EB series 1 wagon. I have had a quickish look over her & shes straight as and the paint is schmick.

There is a smallish oil leak which I think is a front seal on the gear box but I will check it out more tommorow........

What else should I be looking at ???????

[/QUOTE
------------------------------------------------------------------
You don't mention how many K's its done but it's probably 250,000+ or thereabouts?

Apart from all the usual appearance things on any car.. (Doors/guards/bonnet gaps are even and alighned, bumpers fit properly etc.. with a wagon especially make sure the tailgate seals when it closes. Do a paper test on the tailgate seals if you have any doubt.

Check around the latch on the tailgate for any signs of fatigue cracks (can indicate misalighment or a hard life on gravel roads)
Check that the gaps down both sides and around the tail lights are even.
It's a bugger to fix if it's out of alighnment, and it'll suck dust on gravel roads like you wouldn't believe if it's not alighned.

If it's been a country car get it up on a hoist and check the underbody.
Look at the 'K' frame, sump, trans pan, tailshaft, crossmembers, exhaust, rear shock mounts, hand brake, etc.. for damage.

Check if the leak you've found is engine oil or transmission oil.
If it's transmission oil (out of the bell housing) check the end float on the crankshaft (It can 'float' enough to damage the trans front seal, but the engine still runs fine)

Others have covered some of the following but it's worth a repeat..

Road test the car long enough to get things well and truely up to temperature (maybe half an hour or more) and note the trans shifts ok when hot. Flairing on changes when hot can be expensive..

If you can find dusty roads for the road test, all the better.. check around the 'gate and all doors for dust leaks.

And of course make sure the fuel pump is ok.. : )
---------------------------------
rawlinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 03:30   #9 (permalink)
E Series Chick Supremo

Thanks guys,
I will be looking at it in daylight hours tomorrow as I got home too late today ......

I know the guy whos selling it & hes only had it a few weeks, he got it from a dealer & its already had a 'heart' transplant as the engine blew up on the way home......... I can remember from when he got it & bought it over to show me that it has low k's on the dash for a car of this age but will know more on this tomorrow, I really have no idea where the new engine has come from but they assure him that is a fully recon engine.

The only reason hes selling it is cause hes really a holden fan & got himself a SS when the gear box leak appeared after the engine replacement. Personally I think its only a minor thing that the dealer stuffed up when he put in the new engine.

It is a 4spd auto but I spose beggars cant be chosers

I have a mate comming around tomorrow to check it out with me & I know he wont let me buy with my heart ...... I will have to use my head this time

The reason the EA is being retired ............ On the way home last night I had really bad light failure ........ Ive had enough & she can be relegated down for the kids to use as a feed/watering cart for the aminals here......... although I may sell all the working parts that I have put in her over the time ....... not sure yet

:fairy

Check out the OzECruisers Inc. website HERE

FF Lynch Mob BITCH
O.F.R #65
Mother Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons