Ford Forums banner

what should i buy?

3K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  galaxy xr8 
#1 ·
howdy people, i am preparing to get myself a new car in the next couple of weeks. I just wanted owners opinions on what i should do. I can afford to get myself a new BA, but i am limited to an XT with a few options. My other thought was what if i purchased an au series 2 or 3 fairmont or XR8 with low kms, for about the same money?

What would people recommend? Is there a big difference in AU to BA? I havent driven an AU but get to take a BA out this week.

Any opinions would be great, thanks.

#2 ·
What do you want - a newish car, power, handling, from a to b... Depends on wether you want a 6 or an 8 and manual or auto.

Personally, I'd go for an AU3 XR falcon over a BA.

There are a lot of differences - engines, weight, interior, gearbox....

What options were you looking at in the BA XT??

#3 ·
judging by the fact that you say u'd be limited to an XT i guess you have about 35k?
find out what u can afford on insurance, i'd look into an AU 3 prolly.

#4 ·
well at the moment i am driving a 1982 mitsubishi scorpion (the shame, sigh) so either of these cars will be new to me. It will be a daily driver. I like the shape of both. It would be nice to have a car with a bit of power that handles ok. I will be holding on to it for about 3 to 4 years. The options i am looking at are cruise control, rear power windows, rear spoiler, auto and few other things to personalise it, probably alloys.

#6 ·
With every thing you described as option's in your 2nd post I'd say go the AU II/III XR8 as they come with all these as standard,and I personally would go the XR againt's XT,noithing wrong with an AU XR8 that's for sure.

#9 ·
Advantage of new: Chose the options, history, warranty, choose the colour, new car smell...

Advantage of 12- 18 months old: cheaper (get better equiped car for similar money), warranty (not as much as new though!), can put some options on...

#14 ·
i went to local ford dealer to have a chat today about my options. He told me of a limited edition model, apparently only 300, i forget what he called it. Anyways, for an extra $1500 you get 17" alloys, rear spoiler, side skirts, different front bumper, control blade IRS. I think a couple of small things i cant remember. But sounds like a pretty sweet deal, i am leaning towards new, i think i have made my mind up.

Cheers all for the input.

#17 ·
mutlley said:
i went to local ford dealer to have a chat today about my options. He told me of a limited edition model, apparently only 300, i forget what he called it. Anyways, for an extra $1500 you get 17" alloys, rear spoiler, side skirts, different front bumper, control blade IRS. I think a couple of small things i cant remember. But sounds like a pretty sweet deal, i am leaning towards new, i think i have made my mind up.

Cheers all for the input.
The price on the XT mentioned above is $36,000 in Adelaide and you can buy a BA XR6 non-turbo for $36,800 at the same dealer in Adelaide.
Find out the price on the XR before you sign anything.

#19 ·
mutlley said:
mate, i dont know where you got your info from, what i have states the xr6 is 38585 plus any extras, and apart from a bodykit and trim the n/a xr6 isnt that different is it?
Stillwell Ford.Main North Rd.Medindie

#20 ·
Re: Re: what should i buy?

taximan said:
The price on the XT mentioned above is $36,000 in Adelaide and you can buy a BA XR6 non-turbo for $36,800 at the same dealer in Adelaide.
Find out the price on the XR before you sign anything.
There is no way you can buy a new xr6 for $36800! Privilage club excluded.

#21 ·
There is never "no way"!! Push your luck and your welcome, if necessary. You'd be surprised at the margins. Go in and say "if you sell it to me for $XXXX, I'll sign on the spot". Unless you are being outrageous, your chances if getting what you ask for are good. Also, it establishes a low bargaining point.

zeke

#22 ·
zeke said:
There is never "no way"!! Push your luck and your welcome, if necessary. You'd be surprised at the margins. Go in and say "if you sell it to me for $XXXX, I'll sign on the spot". Unless you are being outrageous, your chances if getting what you ask for are good. Also, it establishes a low bargaining point.

zeke
There is a "no way".
I'm not surprised by the margins because I know them.

#26 ·
Well i went and ordered my car today, Woo Hoo! Cant wait to get it. It should be ready on Thursday. Its an XT with a freedom pack i think they call it, sports suspension, 17 inch alloys, rear spoiler, side skirts, different bumpers all in mercury silver. Sure its no xr but its my first brand spanker and im EXCITED!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.