Ford Forums banner

What are these worth?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  WAXBFAR 
#1 ·
XB GT sedan rolling body only.Originally an auto with power windows in sky blue with a black cloth interior.No engine,gearbox,diff,wheels,seats or steering wheel.Body has rust which looks repairable and is painted the wrong colour.Compliance plate & shock tower numbers match and the tramp rod bolt holes are there.I'm thinking it's almost scrap.Are GTs worth anything with no engine?

XA Falcon 500 coupe.6 cylinder column auto.Lime glaze with brown interior.Complete but needing FULL restoration.Would turn every head on the road once restored.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

#3 ·
The GT is definately worth saving, I wouldnt be too concerned about the motor as most GT's these days dont have the original motor anyway. To give you some idea I know of a Mullberry sedan that was sold recently that was a basket case, had been in a fire and needing a full resto..tho it did have an origial block ............for $3500

Whats the asking price ?

The coupe also sounds good,...highly sought after colour

#5 ·
Anthony P said:
XB GT sedan rolling body only.Originally an auto with power windows in sky blue with a black cloth interior.No engine,gearbox,diff,wheels,seats or steering wheel.Body has rust which looks repairable and is painted the wrong colour.Compliance plate & shock tower numbers match and the tramp rod bolt holes are there.I'm thinking it's almost scrap.Are GTs worth anything with no engine?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
That shell is still worth something to someone keen enough to restore it from this condition. It'll need a heap spent on it but it may be worth it as a project. Sky Blue is a rare colour too. People are a bit more tolerant of having the original engine missing, after all it's becomming a big ask having all numbers match after 30 odd years!! It would be great if this GT could be saved.

There's a site which is a registry for XB GT's. Check it out and maybe submit the details of this shell on it with a for sale link. There's one or two guys advertising GT engines so you never know your luck although finding the original engine for it would be more arse than class!!

www.xbgt.info/index.html

Check it out, it's a great read.

Cheers...........

#6 ·
I'd talk him down a bit from 3k, though that said I havent seen it. I'd have thought around 1500-2000, from your description would be reasonable..with an original block 3k wold have been fair..

just my opinion

got any pics by chance ?

#8 ·
I know of a XA GT sedan that sold for $1000 rolling chassis that only needed a fuel tank/engine and box. It sold 2 years ago. I am spewing I got told by the owner 12 months later, when he knew I was looking for a good rolling chassis. Paint work was very clean, no rust either. My fuel cell plate and straps (mounting) etc were originally in the XA GT.

I personally wouldn't pay highly for a rusty car as usually it ends up being structural (unregisterable). Especially X series cars. Look how many people here have given up on projects due to never ending rust repairs. Then bought a car requiring less work. It's had to get rid of rust permanently.

I purchased my XB Fairmont for $2300 (had SA rego) and sold majority of the parts from it. When that last bits are collected, I'll have unofficially paid nothing for it. It had a few dints (repairable) and a small amount of rust in the rear pillars (just starting). Also a bad rust repair on a repair pillar. Person who did the welding was rough as guts. That was a V8 (supposed 351 haven't checked it yet), auto (c4) runnninf a 3.5 9" LSD disc brake diff. It's only bad point? I hated the color. So I painted and restored anything that needed it while I was there. Was I in the right places @ the right time? Nope. I knocked $700+ off the price as I knew it was run down. There are plenty of cars like mine awaiting owners to advertise them.

They aren't worth much unless they have a desirable driveline or are pretty rust free. Will looking for my car I looked @ supposed good cars and none we're anything near in condition of the car I bought.

I also looked @ a XB coupe. It was straight but probably weighed about 200kgs more than factory due to all the bog that had been put in the roof, doors, parcel shelf (non existant) and 1/4's. The amount of bog scared me. I perfer to see the rust to see nothings hidden.

If they are repairable ie not requiring $1000+ of rust repair? They are worth something.

I personally think rust in:

Front 1/4's is okay
Doors okay
Bonnet or boot okay

Rust that aint okay is:

Rust behind the front 1/4's leading into the footwell and chassis. (structural)
Rear 1/4 rust (repair able but expensive)
Parcel shelf rust (structural)
Bailey channel rust (structural)
Foot well rust (repairable)

It's a shame that a GT owner and a coupe owner let them get run down. As they are classics worth owning.

From my experience very few people have $5000-$10,000 to dump on a chassis/restoration. So most are looking for a car that requires minimal repair or otherwise the car doesn't get a second look. They also don't have the knowledge to rebuild the car themselves. Due to that they really need $20,000+. They also look immediate things. Like what does it need to get it roadworthy/registered immediately?

Without seeing the cars we can only assume the worst though. There maybe surprises? I got a few nice surprises finding go fast bits in my car. Some of the worst advertised cars are often the best. The way I buy a car is I usually look @ least twice. On the second viewing I take notes and not down whats required to get it on the road. Next to each item I write a price down also. I show this to the owner and negotiate the price. I have a little benefit as my dads a licensed r/w tester and is picky as hell. I guess some of it rubbed off on me?

I still stand by my thoughts of never buying from an enthusiast. I screwed up with this new car and are having to shell out a few extra $ on small things. Like the wiring loom repairs I have done.

Brenden

#10 ·
Anthony P said:
The first guy wants $3000 for the GT with a rough GS V8 Fairmont sedan thrown in.The other bloke wants about $2000 for the coupe.It also drives which I think I forgot to mention.
I have found XB Fairmonts to have the same seats and door trims as XB GT's. The GS Fairmont could supply you with dash and steering wheel etc...Then a rusted out 1974 Ford LTD with 351c and 9" Diff etc... could supply you with running gear. Does it really matter to you if the engine numbers match??? Final cost could eventually get out of hand though...so watchout !!!

#11 ·
3FIVE1 said:
anything is repairable just take a look at this resto of an XAGT

http://au.msnusers.com/XAGTRestoration
Sure are. It just depends on how many $ you have in your pocket or what skills you have. To the right people any cars worth something. Most of us who have restoration skills just get too old to bother and/or don't get paint enough to pay someone else to do it.

Last small rust repair I had done cost me $500 about 8 years ago. The time I spent earning the $500 I decided I'd learn to weld. I'd like to learn how to lead fill. As that could come in handy.

Brenden

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.