Ford Forums banner

what it will look like..... maybe

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Troutman 
#1 ·
K&N air filter

Can anyone advise me on the best air filters for an EF.......

I am thinking of a K&N Pod, but have heard from a mate that they are illegal??? but I can't see why....
I've also heard they can clog up the valve that lets in extra air when at high RPM (because they're oil based the oil travels up the snorkel)

now this all sounds like bullsh*t to me so.....

who has what and how good are they?

#2 ·
Hmmm... those are some HUGE rims...

#3 ·
Ive had a Finer Filter 65mm pod on my EA for the last two years
when I use to clean it and put thier special blue goo over the outer dust cover I found after a while the stuff gets all the way to the throttle body ,the inlet tube was full of the crap and I didnt use that much just followed like it said to do it.
After a while I didnt bother as it was sticky after I had cleaned it and it didnt drop the stuff every were like before
(dont know if its illegal cause never been pulled up in this car TOUCH WOOD)
I also recently took it off for a few mods to the bracket/piping and fitted factory gear back in and to be honest it felt better with factory gear ,the pod just has good induction noise because of the alloy body and this cross inside it to disturb the air, also it makes exhaust a bit louder.

IMO this is a cosmetic upgrade not performance buy what looks good to you unless you have big piping from front of the car and even then what do you get a couple of KW's my pod cost $259 three years ago(hmmm maybe I should of got a cam instead?)although stiil cheaper than the amount of paper ones you would use in a few years

#4 ·
I found on my EF XR6, that with the pod filter, the car wasn't as efficient nor as fast.

Putting a K&N Panel Filter back in solved this problem and it wasn't only faster or more efficient, I found that there was not as much latency when putting your foot down, as the design of the panel filter enclosure took air straight from the front and didn't rely on trying to suck air in from the pod filters general environment.

I think the car was faster due to more cold air getting into the engine bay. So if you can modify it so that your pod filter gets sufficient direct cold air (hard to do on EF and EL due to ABS sensor), even then you'd see barely any difference at all - performance wise.

Just my 2c...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.