Ford Forums banner

what are your problems??

7K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  arnetnz 
#1 ·
Ok. i started this thread because there is something similar on the XR turbo page.
What i was wanting to know is. What problems have you had with your BA?
What caused the problem?
How many Km,s were on the clock?
How did your dealer handle the problem?

From what ive seen is there are quite a few common problems accuring, mainly front disks warping.

The problems i have had so far are
* wind noise from the sunroof. (Started day 1)
* shuddering front brakes.( started around 3000km)
*high pitch squeal that comes in only when you reach a certain speed. sounds like a wind whistle.(only noticed this around 2 weeks ago)
*window tint starting to bubble.( noticed this around 3 weeks ago)
*a vibration noise comming from the transmission. only present when the car is stationary and in gear.(about 2500km asked them to look at it when the car was in for a 3000km service, noise still there.)
*my wheel nearly falling off the first day my car was purchased, but thats another story.( still don't know what happened)

I am having all this looked at when the car goes in for its 15000km service.

See less See more
#2 ·
OwnaXR6T said:
The problems i have had so far are
* wind noise from the sunroof. (Started day 1)
Apologies to Webasto and 'Tickford', but my AU2 sunroof was a noise disaster that wasn't fixed even after numerous attempts to sort it out. NEVER will I get another sunroof of this kind! :whoaa: :bigeyes:

Good luck OwnaXR6T! :sparkles2

#3 ·
what brand sunroof. I had a problem with mine (holandier i think)when i first got my au11 xr8 with a wind noise problem that sounded like a poping noise/gurgling noise. Had the thing go back to tickford ..sorted it out, was a problem with the drainage hose hose, had a s bend in the pipe that ran down the A pillar. All fixed( mind you after a few calls to Tickford heads of) and no more problems.

#4 ·
Webasto import Hollandier which go to Tickford (now FPV) for fitment to all Falcon series vehicles.

#5 ·
I don't have my BA yet, but some family friends of mine say that the ones that the in-laws have got have a problem of drinking too much fuel, and being gutless as hell. Supposedly Ford have done a recall on some if not all BA's (not sure my self) too fix this problem. Anyine else heard of it or experianced it?

Alex

#7 ·
god doesnt sound good for the sunroof. anyone else got a sunroof in their ba? well i want mine fixed. not sure on the brand but it was two grand extra!

#8 ·
it is a pity you live in Syndey, otherwise you could do what i did and that was to get a tickford technician out to the local dealership so he could have a look at the cars sunroof, they then took it back to tickford for the guys to completely look a the sunroof ( i guess they removed all of the trims ect) and after that it was all fixed, but i did not get any wind noise from mine, only the bubling/gurgling sound when it was open and had either rained or i had washed it.

G
#9 ·
well i only had one problem, no 5th gear in my manual xr6t

the gearbox has been sent back down south in one piece and a replacement sent up. thats only after 200kms so i think it was a defective gearbox from the factory. other than that no problems.

#11 ·
I was talking to a guy last night who picked up a new XR6T last week and it has spat some seal in the diff. He reckons Ford are going to replace the whole diff. He was still driving around in it so I'm not sure how serious the problem was or exactly why the diff is being replaced just because of a leaking seal. Maybe the diff housing is warped or bent?

#12 ·
That was me

Full story is that the diff seal was leaking in 3 places and may be have been creased on assembly (Xmas build car).

Ford Service may be replacing the whole diff because:

a. its quicker to replace whole diff, or
b. Ford needs to check whether it is a assembly quality issue

I first noticed the problem when I went for my first cruise and the entire back of the car was covered in oil

I am still driving it because they didn't tell me not to and I assuming that while it was on the hoist that they ran a bead of silicon or similar over it to stop the leak.

#13 ·
maybe they arn't too concered about you damaging the diff seeing that its being replaced.by the way the sunroof i had installed was done by the dealer, they said i would of been waiting for a extra few months to get it done at the factory, i was told it would be exactly the same.

#14 ·
BUCKS71 said:
it is a pity you live in Syndey, otherwise you could do what i did and that was to get a tickford technician out to the local dealership so he could have a look at the cars sunroof, they then took it back to tickford for the guys to completely look a the sunroof ( i guess they removed all of the trims ect) and after that it was all fixed, but i did not get any wind noise from mine, only the bubling/gurgling sound when it was open and had either rained or i had washed it.
Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have wasted my time with Ford trying to get the roof fixed. Webasto is at Caringbah Sydney and they're the importers and install experts for Hollandia roofs.

If you REALLY want a roof I suggest getting webasto to do a proper rolled edge installation which gives a proper sheet metal edge to the roof hole. It's the proper way aka BMW Merc etc etc. It costs more though :ft:

#15 ·
Gutless performance and fuel consumption with the XR6T have been asscociated with VCT issues. Apparently the solenoid actuator or somesuch has an issue. A ECM update is available.

Basically the car fails into limp mode=default cam retard causing the problems. Can also cause stalling from what I hear.

There is a thread on it somewhere with more details.

#17 ·
mmm how gutless do you mean. my car has stalled a few times but not that much and its only when stuck in traffic jams with the aircon on. i also get pretty poor fuel consumtion. about 15l everuy 100km. might bring that up with the dealer as well.

#18 ·
OwnaXR6T said:
mmm how gutless do you mean. my car has stalled a few times but not that much and its only when stuck in traffic jams with the aircon on. i also get pretty poor fuel consumtion. about 15l everuy 100km. might bring that up with the dealer as well.
Dude, my BA XR6 NA drinks at about 17L/100km. I consider that normal. If your BA XR6T is only slurping at 15L/100km i'd consider that good.

How can you think that 15L/100km is poor?

#19 ·
My car probably still doesn't have any seats in it yet, the body is a shambles because FPV probably haven't put the body kit on yet and the dealer doesn't know when I will get it.

I want my GT "NOW"

#20 ·
Picked the wifes Blueprint XR6T up from the dealer on New Years Eve, and have had a problem with the gear box making a grinding/vibrating noise when in first or second gear or when the car is under load, and also had a problem with the car stalling with a massive clunk when reversing or taking off. We have had the car back twice now to have the problem fixed, but both times have been told that this is how the gear box in the XR6T is, and we basically have to put up with it. Not happy Jan. This is a problem that they have said they had with the AU series, and didn't fix for the BA. They have also said that you need a stronger box for the turbo and as a result you are left with a noisy box. Any suggestions from members would be good, cos I tell you this, if there had have been a manual XR6T at the dealer for us to test drive we would have never brought it. It is rediculous.

The window tint is bubbled and on all the windows there are big scratches from each time the window gets wound down, it's as if it is rubbing on the inside. Again Not Happy Jan.

Had the quiktrak installed only to find out 5 weeks later that we have no coverage from the day we brought it cos apparently the quiktrak doesn't work passed Mooney Mooney, so have had to have it ripped out. Again Not happy Jan.

If there wasn't these few quibbles the car would be perfect. It drives like a drive although is as thirsty as they can get with fuel consumption. It is actually thirstier than my XR8! The gear box problem needs to be fixed as we are severly fed up with it. Lisa drives around with the stereo up so she can't hear the grind. You certainly don't expect that from a brand new $45K car.

#21 ·
Another Typical Fault with no solution by the sounds of it, tell them to get you another Turbo Manual to test drive, if its the same then you have to put up, if it doesnt make the noise then demand a new BOX.

Ford are good at telling customers that nothing is wrong, i think its about time they started to fix things the first time, not the third or fourth.

#22 ·
Dealers are always your best mates when your buying the car, but don't know who you are when you bring it back for warranty. XR8MATT,
that this is how the gear box in the XR6T is,
my ass, they think your idiots and hope they don't have to replace it. Same bullshit was said to us with my old mans XR8, could be why he will never buy another ford.

G
#23 ·
First experiences with XR6T Manual

I've had my XR6T Manual for about a month now. Within three hours of collecting it form the dealer, it was going back to the dealer on a tray back tow truck - just stopped, because battery went flat after positive lead from alternator to battery just fell off. Luckily my wife was driving and I was behind her in the Holden WB van I had been using - so the van saved us from a long walk!!

Then, after about five days of perfect motoring, it backfired on starting and then ran as rough as guts. Loaded up with fuel and so rough I rang the dealer and said come and get it again. Which they did very promptly, and got it back to me that day. Seems if the throttle pedal is touched before starting, they can backfire, which blows a vacuum hose off.

Even given those troubles, I am impressed. I knew to expect the 5 speed to be slow on changing, which is not too much of a bind, given the burst of power it can produce. Fuel consumption has worsened though, from initial 13 litres per 100km down as far as 17. Have to drive it very gently to get anywhere close to 13 now.

Had a quick drive through the Hills out of Perth one day, by myself, and 4th gear is fantastic for winding uphill roads - very sweet!!

Throttle by wire has heaps of free play - very hard to heel and toe to double de-clutch (old habits die hard). Hope they can adjust that at first service. Had an AU Faimont b4 this, and it was very thrifty on fuel (neraly 900 to a tank at highway cruise).

Overall, I am quite happy with this machine - it will be interesting to hear of others comments as time goes on.

#25 ·
XR8MATT said:
Picked the wifes Blueprint XR6T up from the dealer on New Years Eve, and have had a problem with the gear box making a grinding/vibrating noise when in first or second gear or when the car is under load, and also had a problem with the car stalling with a massive clunk when reversing or taking off. We have had the car back twice now to have the problem fixed, but both times have been told that this is how the gear box in the XR6T is, and we basically have to put up with it. Not happy Jan. This is a problem that they have said they had with the AU series, and didn't fix for the BA. They have also said that you need a stronger box for the turbo
There is nothing special about the XR6T box. All it is is a AU V8 box with a new input shaft, bellhousing and no speedo sensor. AU XR8 did not suffer from these noises, so it must be an assembly problem. The clunk will be from the diff.

#26 ·
Re: First experiences with XR6T Manual

EHPerth said:
I knew to expect the 5 speed to be slow on changing, which is not too much of a bind,
Why would you expect this? A correctly set up T5 will shift quite well. Biggest problem with the BA is incorrect oil recomendation and incorrect clutch set up. ( I was going to say adjustment, but there isn't any)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.