Ford Forums banner

What's needed for a Smartlock conversion and who's done it?

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  EFJase 
#1 ·
Eh guys,

I am converting to a EF Dual Runner Manifold very soon, and was just wondering whether anyone here has done the Smartlock conversion on their EA to get the runners functioning properly through an EL ECU. I know a member has done it, Robertjp I think, if you're around let me know how you did it!

Just a run down on a)What parts and b)What wiring will need to be added and where. If anyone has any associated diagrams that would be great as well.

I know this is going to end up putting my car off the road for a while lol, I'll have to change all my gas stuff to EF/L factory gas now *yay*

Sundeep

#3 ·
That's a bit too pricey for me ;) I like to do everything on the cheap cheap :eek:)

Sundeep

#5 ·
if you want a eb/d smartlock wiring
jr's has got an eb fairmont -it's a wagon though but i guess wiring would be the same it's just that i'm unsure wether it was series 1/2
only thing i san say to help find out if it's series 1/2 is it's silver (fully colour coded) and i got a silver trip computer out of it

#8 ·
ok so now i know how to tell the differance from the interior :D
cause it has a light grey interior thats where i had my doubts

#9 ·
JRs have at least two EBII/EDs with smartlock. Poly green ED classic and blue EB II wagon.

#10 ·
My EA now has smart lock

We just stuffed a complete EB2 Fairmont wiring loom into it, along with EB2 ECU and there ya are.

If u have some basic knowledge about the looms and what the different bits look like then u should be right.

I have no idea, so I enlisted the help of mongrelEB (wont be round here again) and he got it working fine.

The only things that may be a problem is things such as instrumnet clucter plugs, and maybe if you have climte control...i actually have no idea, but u should know what plugs/sensors are different between the 2.

I cant really remember as i also put a EL dash and cluster in at the same time and we had to swap a heap of shit of that

But basically if u get a EB2 onward engine bay and dash wiring it should be a straight swap.
U may also want to get the body wiring so u have the complete conversion. It will save a little bit of stuffin around, and u get to pul the interior out n give it a clean :p .. or get it re apolstered

So have fun with the dash.

And also another tricky bit is behind the heater box. It is a bitch to get the wiring though the hole with the box stil there.

#11 ·
The engine bay and dash loom is a piece of piss to change, I have no problems with that. I don't really want to change all that though, as I'd rather just 'add' the wires I need for Smartlock. Looks like I'm going to have to though. If I change that wiring, can I 'adapt' the loom that goes to the rear tot he EB2/ED loom? Like cut and shut the matching wires?

And Rob, how's your EL ECU going with the EB-2 loom? Is everything working OK? I remember your trip computer being retarded and your trans not shifting right, but that's all ok I guess. Are your runners switching like they are supposed to be??

Sundeep

#12 ·
Sundeep said:
If I change that wiring, can I 'adapt' the loom that goes to the rear tot he EB2/ED loom? Like cut and shut the matching wires?
Sure can.
I dunno anythin about it as alex is the one that done it all :)

#13 ·
silly question....

can someone please tell me what the benefit of installing smartlock is if yo ualready have an alarm system?

#14 ·
So you can run later model fuel injection maps and control the runner operation in the dual plane manifold.

Sundeep

#15 ·
Only reason i cansee in doing it it so that you can run EF/EL BBM intake and thermo fans of a EL computer(which needs smartlock). Rather than trying to wire them up seperatly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.