Ford Forums banner

Where to get a practical Katana?

3K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  juarez 
#1 ·
I know we're all car nuts here, not sword nuts (except me :p), but I'm just wondering, has anyone in Victoria had any luck in purchasing a usable sword (as in, not for display purposes only)?

King of Knives has let me down.. they only stock display swords now, and the lady there didn't really give me any good ideas for places to find practical swords

So, if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them

#2 ·
who you planning to kill? lol :s3:
(try tradeorama in waverly gardens (mulgrave))

#4 ·
do u do martial arts juarez??? if so what type? im into zen do kai, but we do not work with swords, but sometimes with boes (sticks), sorry i couldnt help ya out but i was just curious :p

#5 ·
i was thinking the same think,

bloody nutcase is gonna kill someone lol :s6:

cheers.joe.

PS. i wouldnt know i havent had the urge to kill some one in melbourne so i wouldnt know ehere to get one :p

#6 · (Edited)
pffft, what a stupid assumption.. And dont forget that cars can be a lot more deadly than swords when used incorrectly.

Anyway, no, I don't do any martial arts, I just like swords, and running around chopping up trees with them :)

I'd like to take up some sort of martial art at some point, but I dunno when I'll get around to it :(

#9 ·
Watch Out Mad Man Loose In Melbourne!

juarez said:
Anyway, no, I don't do any martial arts, I just like swords, and running around chopping up trees with them :)
what the hell is going on in ya head running around chopping up trees?:spitlol:
do you do this as a hobby or something? do you just go to people's front yards or something and "prune" their trees LOL :spitlol:

#10 ·
hahaha, I live on 4 acres and the place next door has 3-4 acres of (highly illegal, but the local council wont force them to remove) blackberry bushes.. it's just something to do..

#12 ·
well at least ya not doing it in the city or in the residentual streets of dandenong if you were then i'd think your crazy!

#14 ·
Yeah, theres only one real problem with that.. well, two really

Firstly, it takes SERIOUS time to grind off the excess metal
Secondly, I don't really have the means required to temper the steel at all, let alone to the specifics required (somewhere around a Rockwell hardness of 60 for the sharp side of the blade, something lower, like HRC40 for the rest.

#15 ·
mad_ea_spac said:
well at least ya not doing it in the city or in the residentual streets of dandenong if you were then i'd think your crazy!
bwhahaha that call cracked me up!

I hope you eat those blackberries! I used to live in a property that heap HEAPS of the stuff behind it and we sat there all day eating that stuff some days. Ah the memories.

#18 ·
XR8 Lamah said:
Hmmm . . . you weren't down in the melbourne cbd the other night were you ? ;)
Hahahahahahha I was reading this thread & was thinking of my uncle who collects swords ........ then just before I read your post had started thinking exactly the same thing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#19 ·
Don't worry, my current (home-made) katana is pretty harmless.. What happened in Melb CBD, by the way?

Also, I've just found a place in boxhill which sells swords, and with any luck some of their (cheaper) swords are for practical use.. I shall be ringing them tommorow to find out :)

#22 ·
some dude got kicked out of "the bubble" night club, so him and his buddies went and got some weopons. One dude had a sword or some shit and ran after someone out the front of the club and chopped up his car while he was in it trying to escape. One of his other buddies had a sawn off. fukin wankers.

#24 ·
Well, I went and bought some steel today.. 2meters * 4mm * 65mm or so, and I'm currently working my way through the haxor stage, then I'll grind it down a bit, build a kiln and temper it, and finally prepare it for use.. could take a long time, but it'll work out a hell of a lot cheaper than a decent practical sword ($1200+ is the best I've found so far, as far as the local market goes.. $375 or so for a base-line practical from the US, but then theres shipping).

It will turn out to be a 29" blade, 13.5" handle, and if I can get the tempering right, somewhere around a 60HRC cutting edge, with a 40HRC spine. Then I'll have to think about making a scabbard, as this is something I really miss, with my current sword.

#26 ·
theres a shop in perth that sell all kinds of swords made by toledo in spain.. circa 200 bucks for average size ones.. i think katanas went for about that aswell..

medievil emporium is the name i think..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.