Ford Forums banner

Who thinks the BA Futura looks basic and bland?

4K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  AUForte 
#1 ·
Id like to know who thinks the BA futura looks boring?

#3 ·
Not at all. I was behind one the other day and was quite impressed on how European and clean it looked.

The round sensors on the rear bumper had me stuffed until I realised that it was the reversing warning sensors.

#4 ·
Sweet, because ive got one on order with the 17 inch alloys, fog lamps and side airbags. And a few blokes that come to this forum are saying they look basic and that a Commodore Executive would look better. My only reason for getting the Futura was the waiting period for the XR6.

#5 ·
XR6MAN said:
Sweet, because ive got one on order with the 17 inch alloys, fog lamps and side airbags. And a few blokes that come to this forum are saying they look basic and that a Commodore Executive would look better. My only reason for getting the Futura was the waiting period for the XR6.
Umm shouldn't you be buying the car because you like what it looks like, and not what anyone else thinks? If you need to rely on other peoples opinions of the car to justify your purchase you are really buying the car for the wrong reasons IMO

#7 ·
People on the forums have nothing better to do than bitch now IMHO. Ford have put together a brillent package and this forums should be a place of praise not one of complaint. I realise that the car's not going to be perfect but it's a fair step up.
The car seams to get rave reviews every were except for here!
Perhaps us Ford lovers arn't used to supporting our own product
I love the XT's mate and I think your one lucky bugger enjoy your purchase.

#11 ·
im not picking on the car ( i totally love it and i cant wait till 10 years time when ill be able to actually afford 1 lol ) but i think, in stock form, the BA XT and Futura look a bit bland in white. ive seen a few (pre-release - no badges) and thought hmmm any other colour than white lol

on a different note ive seen a couple of Fairlanes getting around now in cammo

looking good i must say

#12 ·
The Futura looks the goods and to compare it to the Exec, well IMO there is no comparision. XR6Man, in the latest Ford Performance Mag, Herrod has a pic of an XT with their wheels and lowering kit. Check it out if you haven't already, I think you will be impressed.

#15 ·
The Futura is fine and for daily driving i think it would ride much nicer than the XR, much mroe plush and tyres don't cost a fortune though if it's a company car thats no trouble.

#17 ·
I think Ford have done a brilliant job of making the entire range look enticing...its not too often you see a "dunga" model that looks boring, and the base model XT does look the goods IMO. Drives well and has good interior features too. I like the darker headlights of the XT over the futura, but then again the futura has a few more goodies for a bit more $$$.
I'm sure you will be more than happy with your purchase once delivery is done

#19 ·
Ok, firstly XR6MAN it was me that stated that i thought the Futura was bland.

You don't have to agree with me, its just my opinion. You should be buying the car for yourself to be impressed, not others.

Secondly, i wasn't putting the car down. Its just an assessment i made in regard to the look of it and the other cars in the BA lineup.

And also, the only reason i was comparing it to an XR6 was because i was talking about how great the XR headlights looks, and how much more aggressive and attractive they make the car look. That is why i think the Futura looks a bit bland. Even the XT appeals more just because of the headlights.

I'm not bitching here guys, just saying what I think. I don't mind people disagreeing with me, but saying i'm bitching (and whoever else comments on the cars looks) is not right.

#20 ·
none of the BA range looks boring....and as posted before, you buy a car because you like it not becuase everyone else does. anyway dude best of luck with ur car and hope u enjoy it :)

#21 ·
I think the whole BA range looks great, especially after considering it was based on AU.

Still, if I ever bought a Futura, the first thing I'd do would be to replace the headlights with those from the XT / Ghia. Would IMO give the car much more of a personality from the front, as well as making it look a whole lot better.

Hopefully the dark headlight surrounds will be standard across the BA2 range - they definately make the car stand out from the crowd - giving it a more muscular appearance.

#22 ·
Hey XR6MAN,

The Futuras and XTs look bloody good in my opinion, a vast improvement over the AU series (although IMO, the AUs weren't too bad). I wouldn't be worried about other peoples' opinions. You are buying the car for yourself, not someone else.

Sundeep

#23 ·
This comment is really interesting ....

Why would a Futura look "bland or boring" next to an XT, Fairmont or Fairmont Ghia???

Moreso than in previous Falcon's the diiferences between XT, Futura and the two Fairmont's .... are pretty minor "jewellery" type items. You know ... things like different alloys, some chrome highlights, auxiliary lights (on Ghia) etc etc

The metal sheetwork is all identical ... same bonnet, boot etc.

I'd suggest that any perceived "boring" (I think I prefer the word conservative or elegant to boring) or "exciting" aspects of any of the cars was planned by the Ford stylists to cater for the tastes of the different customer groups that would be attracted to each individual model.

Taking a reasonable extreme .... the XR and the Ghia. The XR needs to be an obvious stand out to say "hey look at me" ... the bodykit, the colours, the interior fabric .... the Ghia needs to be luxurious and as elegant as possible, conservative even, so gets the chrome and all the toys in it to attract the buyer who is perhaps into all that for $50K.

I would guess that the Futura would be targeted at the "value for money" guy but who wants a bit more luxury and style than the entry level ...

The targetting (of customer types) for all the models would be quite specific I'd suggest ... and the people who are calling the Futura "boring/bland" ..... are merely people for whom the Futura is NOT targetted at.

Perhaps these people would buy an XR or maybe an XT V8 with the sports suspension and the 17 inch alloys????

I wouldn't worry whatsoever XR6MAN ..... you picked a winner and I reckon adding the Ghia auxiliary lights as you've suggested will give the car an extra bit of style that will really suit it.

#24 ·
It's interesting, I showed my missus the first press shots of the futura, when i showed her the side shot of the silver futura, she said: ewe. thats ugly.
Then i showed her the front shot, and she said: That's nice! it looks like a beemer.

Point is, the side shot? It would have to be the worst press shot that i have ever seen.

Having seen the car in the flesh (futura) I find it hard to beleive they took such a bad photo!

#25 ·
Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The BA range looks good, it caters for different tastes, but it looks good, clean and european. Futura reminds me an awful lot of the audi a4, as thought it was almost cut from a solid piece of metal. Thumbs up !
It looks polite, its got a classy look to it, and it looks better than the commodore !

Im not one for putting a wrx bonnet scoop on an rx (off topic), but if your concerned if its "boring", change the grill. Plenty of statesman owners have caprice grills. If not that how about a unibar and a couple of spotlights ?...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.