Why aren't BA Futura and Fairmont headlights tinted ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2003, 21:37   #1 (permalink)
Soon to become: Jake_XR6

confused Why aren't BA Futura and Fairmont headlights tinted ?

I am curious as to why the XT and the Ghia were given tinted headlights - which I consider to look better - and therefore be "High Series".

On the other hand the Futura and Fairmont, have the non tinted headlights. I would have presumed that logically, the Fairmont, and Fairmont Ghia should have received he tinted headlights.

The only conclusion I could come to, was that the XT is the volume seller and hence Ford wanted the better looking variant to be seen more on the streets ?

Slightly off the subject, but I thought the LTD tinted tail-lights of the '80s (don't know the model name) looked great, hope we see a comeback of this in some variant for differentiation purposes rather than 'circles' ala Holden!

Jake.
Air Intake: T-Series, K&N Filter.
Brakes: Calipers painted red, DBA slotted rotors & Lucas pads.
Windows: Tinted.
Gearstick: Shortened.
Fuel: Dual Fuel.
Dyno: 143 rwKw (Dynodynamics - shootout mode).
Heathcote: 15.87 @ 89.1 Mph.
BLACK XR6-VCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2003, 21:46   #2 (permalink)
Ford Tickford Experience

My sentiments exactly mate, though last time I mentioned this nobody agreed :( What is two more cars seeing the rest of the range has it? This whole conservative line doesn't stick for me, old grandpa will buy the car with or without black lights, which might sound like I'm contradicting myself, but then the car will look better anyway with the tinted lights so all the more good. From the front, you'd rather look at an XT than a Futura or Fairmont, doesn't make sense to me?

The VY SS has tinted rear lights doesn't it? Certainly makes the circle style rear lights look nice, or better I should say :)
Old 01-15-2003, 21:57   #3 (permalink)
falconS

Because the XT is supposed to fit into the 'sports' image with the XR's. The Futura is the family car and the Fairmont is the Grandpa/retirees car and therefore they are more conservative. The Fairmont Ghia is supposed to be 'Sports Luxury' ala BMW/Mercedes and therefore gets the tinted sports headlights.

Personally i think it looks good because it provides model differentiation. eg.

XT and Futura look the same from the FRONT except for the tinted lights, therefore you can pick them.

The Fairmont and the Fairmont Ghia look the same from the front except for the tinted lights on the Ghia, therefore you can pick them apart.
Old 01-15-2003, 22:03   #4 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Sport's themed cars get the blackout headlight treatment;

XT - entry level
XR - mainstream sports
Ghia - luxo sports
GT - mega sports (& Luxo)

Nice Family car range gets the chrome light treatment;

Futura - target entry level for the family buyer
Fairmont - luxo well off family buyer.

This was explained by the head marketing guy on the FF raid.

It is a deliberate attempt to connect the XT with the XR's and banish the Forte name and image of the base car being a fleet special. That's also why it is called XT rather than Forte. Also, with Forte being strongly aligned with the unloved AU series it was another reason the name was dropped from the BA lineup.

beat me to it falconS
Old 01-15-2003, 22:06   #5 (permalink)
Ford Tickford Experience

I liked the good old days when they went up in class properly. The stock Falcon looked like one, the Futura had the few extras, then with the Fairmont you started with chrome etc. I know this whole XT means linked to XR is a positive thing, purely for marketing though, I don't like it :( Looking at the EF, the Fairmont had a nicer front bumper including slots for the fog lamps whereas the Gli and Futura had the plainer bumper. I'd prefer something like this than making the base XT look better than the Fairmont from virtually every angle! Using what you said above, shouldn't the Futura have the tinted lights seeing it's above the XT? Hehe, I know I'm whinging, but I don't like this Commodore, if you can't beat them, join them path.
Old 01-15-2003, 22:07   #6 (permalink)
Soon to become: Jake_XR6

Thumbs up

Thank guys, that all actually makes sense.
Air Intake: T-Series, K&N Filter.
Brakes: Calipers painted red, DBA slotted rotors & Lucas pads.
Windows: Tinted.
Gearstick: Shortened.
Fuel: Dual Fuel.
Dyno: 143 rwKw (Dynodynamics - shootout mode).
Heathcote: 15.87 @ 89.1 Mph.
BLACK XR6-VCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 00:11   #7 (permalink)

Depends what colour car you get i reckon. Some colours look good with the black headlights and others look not so good. I find that narooma looks good with the silver headlamps.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 00:50   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

I think the XT looks completely bad arse!!

Ford definately have done what was needed with the XT. The XT is baby XR. It lifts the whole range up, even the Futura and the Fairmont. It was a brillant decision by Ford to do it that way. Ford no longer has a crap car in the Falcon range. They just have cars with diffrent values.

I do have to say the the XT/ghia lights look better than Futura and Fairmont.

If you really want sporting intentions in a fairmont then get the Ghia! If you want grandpar transport the Futura and Fairmont are there waiting for you.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons