Why are base tunes so inconsistent? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2005, 23:38   #1 (permalink)

Why are base tunes so inconsistent?

No doubt the custom tunes iron out all the bugs and glitches but I'm sure Ford don't custom tune all of their PCM's from factory to suit each individual car, so why would a base tune always be so inconsistent yet the factory tunes are nearly always faultless?

I have been trying to work this out for a long time and still cant, is there something wrong with the base tune for them to be so inconsistent and in some cases just plain useless.

For example, has something been overlooked in the base tune itself which might just make things work properly. Reason I ask this is because I have the base tune and I have the same type of problem whether I'm using the 8psi tune or the 10psi tune, but set it back to standard and the car is perfect.

The reason why I havent gone a custom tune is because the nearest tuner to where I am is 16 hours away by car.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2005, 05:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: Why are base tunes so inconsistent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
No doubt the custom tunes iron out all the bugs and glitches but I'm sure Ford don't custom tune all of their PCM's from factory to suit each individual car, so why would a base tune always be so inconsistent yet the factory tunes are nearly always faultless?

I have been trying to work this out for a long time and still cant, is there something wrong with the base tune for them to be so inconsistent and in some cases just plain useless.

For example, has something been overlooked in the base tune itself which might just make things work properly. Reason I ask this is because I have the base tune and I have the same type of problem whether I'm using the 8psi tune or the 10psi tune, but set it back to standard and the car is perfect.

The reason why I havent gone a custom tune is because the nearest tuner to where I am is 16 hours away by car.
Well there is a fair bit of inconsistancy in the ford cars from factory hence the huge power differences from standard, YOu might put the 10 pound in a freaky car and its running lean by 4800 rpm and cant actually take the full poundage. There is alot of variables in any engine and climite, ive been in a couple of cars that had the serge standard and the base program has fixed them. (Turbos)

I will fix your car Glen.....

The Typhoon has a surge standard, well the 2 i have tunes did anyways Not now but
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 14:17   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
Well there is a fair bit of inconsistancy in the ford cars from factory hence the huge power differences from standard, YOu might put the 10 pound in a freaky car and its running lean by 4800 rpm and cant actually take the full poundage. There is alot of variables in any engine and climite, ive been in a couple of cars that had the serge standard and the base program has fixed them. (Turbos)

I will fix your car Glen.....

The Typhoon has a surge standard, well the 2 i have tunes did anyways Not now but
So slight manufacturing tolerances in the build of the car along with Fords base tune can make the vehicle surge and do all sorts of stupid things.... Is this what you mean?
Old 03-25-2005, 16:24   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
So slight manufacturing tolerances in the build of the car along with Fords base tune can make the vehicle surge and do all sorts of stupid things.... Is this what you mean?
Basicly yer, you have mass produced turbo components, engine components, ive seen turbo cars vary in power by 30 rwkw's ive seen N/A Bosses vary as much as 40 rwkw's, To me thats kinds wrong, its hard to believe any engine thats made the way these things are has blowen me away, i mean 40 rwkw's is shocking in my book.

I mean seriously, ive had a couple of Boss engines that with the exact same mods as mine yet they cant take the same amount of timing filled up at the same garage i use day in day out. All it can be is Comp or cam timing. I think thats seriously wrong right there.
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 16:47   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
Basicly yer, you have mass produced turbo components, engine components, ive seen turbo cars vary in power by 30 rwkw's ive seen N/A Bosses vary as much as 40 rwkw's, To me thats kinds wrong, its hard to believe any engine thats made the way these things are has blowen me away, i mean 40 rwkw's is shocking in my book.

I mean seriously, ive had a couple of Boss engines that with the exact same mods as mine yet they cant take the same amount of timing filled up at the same garage i use day in day out. All it can be is Comp or cam timing. I think thats seriously wrong right there.
Simon I've heard some boss motors cam timing has been out up to 10 deg.
if so thats shocking im guessing but the cam timing must be a big factor in the variences we have seen in power.
Lowride260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 16:59   #6 (permalink)
Go Nuts in Your Falcon

Maybe this is off topic a bit, but I believe that no car when advertised as 240kw's (or whatever) should leave the factory with less than that. More YES, but not less. I think there is no excuse for giving someone an XR6 turbo that only has 160rwkw. as GTP-330 has said, IT IS WRONG.

oh and glen, I hope your problems are sorted soon. These problems hopefully don't send you back to the darkside.
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 19:53   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordACE
Maybe this is off topic a bit, but I believe that no car when advertised as 240kw's (or whatever) should leave the factory with less than that. More YES, but not less. I think there is no excuse for giving someone an XR6 turbo that only has 160rwkw. as GTP-330 has said, IT IS WRONG.

oh and glen, I hope your problems are sorted soon. These problems hopefully don't send you back to the darkside.
You'd call it false advertising wouldn't you.
Lowride260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 20:23   #8 (permalink)

Quote:

I dont think I will be going back to Holden just yet, when the car is due for changeover in another 2 years or so, who knows it might be on the cards. Especially if Holden ccome out with something rank.
Old 03-26-2005, 15:15   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

They quote flywheel figures,my 260 dynoed 184 stock,a 240 turbo pulling 160 is loosing 80 thru drivetrain,about 30% loss seems to be the general consensus
Old 03-26-2005, 16:02   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedflute
They quote flywheel figures,my 260 dynoed 184 stock,a 240 turbo pulling 160 is loosing 80 thru drivetrain,about 30% loss seems to be the general consensus
There seem to be really big variances in the base tunes as I have noticed. The norm for an Auto T seems to be between 160 to 190rwkw, but there are alot of variables also to take into consideration. These figures are quoted all over Australia, different dynos, climates, dyno operators, and the odd bullsiht artist.

There seems to be way too much variation in the standard cars. Maybe we should dyno the cars before we take delivery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons