Why don't ford make an SV8 competitor? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2002, 01:31   #1 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Why don't ford make an SV8 competitor?

After using the configurator on the Ford website, and optioning up an XT to have LSD, V8 Manual, Sports suspension, and rear spoiler it all comes out to $38,640. This is around the same price as an SV8 yes? I was told they costed less than 40 grand.

So anyway, You can basically make your own by optioning it up, but why can't Ford make a specific model with all these? Unless I buy new and option what I want, it will be pretty hard to find a second hand V8 Manual XT with LSD and sports suspension.

I will not be able to afford a new car for a while and would probably look at buying something like this in the future. But If Ford had a designated model, whcih was basically what I am talking about - an optioed up XT, it would make finding one alot less of an arduous task later on.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2002, 02:32   #2 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

Maybe Series II will have a Falson S or SR or something else with specs like you describe.
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmatic™) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothman™.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 02:39   #3 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

I think it's a good idea but something Ford will develop later on as the need arises.
Maybe as a run out edition.
Holden need to start with there runout editions early :-)
Old 11-06-2002, 03:31   #4 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

Enter the Falcon SR.

I would imagine Geoff and crew are waiting to see if the SV8 will sell, before they commit resources and $$$ and make their own permanent competitior in the line up.

Ford don't need an SV8 competitior anyway, the only reason the SV8 exists is because they (GMH) removed the V8 option from the Executive.

Perhaps what they should be doing instead is pushing the fact that you can get XT with V8 and manual trans - instead of the SV8. But there will always be those who want just a little 'more' than an XT or Exec, ie a better name or badge than just the run of the mill fleet car.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:44   #5 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

Ford make cars brand new to sell to new car buyers, they dont design cars so they are good for second hand buyers if ya know what i'm saying. Of course their good etc, i dunno it's hard to explain what i'm trying to say.
Hope ya get what i mean.
Cheers.
Mason.
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 15:53   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Don't forget that if you're optioning the sports suspension you have to get the 17 inch rms with it. This adds about $1300.
HO HO HO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 16:19   #7 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

Considering the amount of SV8 talk thats going on in LS1 land (not much), I don't know if the SV8 is necessarily doing well in sales anyway.

I don't really think we need an SR or S or any other models to confuse people. We have sporty models (XR's) and we have a mainstream model (XT) and we have luxury models (Futura and above). I think thats plenty dont you?

XT buyers have a myriad of options if they want to turn it into a sports car.

I don't think we need to match Holden model for model. Our cars are already superior... what more incentive do we need?
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 19:21   #8 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

sorry fellas, anyone wants a performance ford, go and get XR6T or XR8, no performance engines in crappy ugly packages.
Old 11-06-2002, 20:09   #9 (permalink)

The SV8 is an odd model... think about the conversation you have with even your best mate:

Version 1.
Person A: "I bought myself a Commodore, it's a V8, with a rear spoiler and big road hugging wheels, she drives great. I love it. Wow!" etc
Person B: "Sweet ride!"

Version 2.
Person A: "I bought myself a SV8, it's a V8, with a rear spoiler and big road hugging wheels, she drives great! I love it. Wow!" etc
Person B: "Couldn't afford the SS eh?"
Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 20:33   #10 (permalink)
Phantom XR6T

Would I be right in saying that you can no longer get a Holden V8 with regular suspension until the upper class models, and that anyone who would want to go towing would not want a car with FE2 suspension.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons