why so slow?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2004, 07:33   #1 (permalink)

why so slow??

Apart from my ford, I also own an old 240 volvo. I use it for work because it sits outside all day. it has plenty of dents from weather (and losers). It is reliable (360000kms never had the head off, still uses no oil), it has the standard 100kw, 200nm 2.3litre 4, 1280kg, 3.54:1 diff ratio, 6500rpm redline). it is auto. Mechanically fine, ugly and unloved (hey, why waste my ford!). Anyhoo, I've raced a few ea's eb's (auto's) and square pegged them to 80kph (we don't go over the limit) and tonight I raced an immaculate eb falcon s xr6. a black one. I beat it!

Manuals leave the line much quicker and I have no chance. My wife's 2000 vt bommodore (they have a much lower first gear) also spanks the falcon autos. is this because of the tall first gear in the ford auto? maybe a tune up for the ford. diff ration change?

I love my fords, this is NOT anti ford. it is just a puzzlement to me. any thoughts?
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2004, 09:46   #2 (permalink)
"Steve has a car?"

Re: why so slow??

The main culprit is the tall first gear in the auto's, and also a low diff ratio especially in the 3 speeds...

Last edited by Rmyers; 02-19-2004 at 09:52.
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 17:23   #3 (permalink)
EA-S MPI 5-Speed

hehe
again i love my 5-speed beats auto vn's n shit =)
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 17:29   #4 (permalink)

lol yeah i would have to agree and say that the ultra tall first gear is a killer, try and take a commodore box to 90 in first and see what it does, woot. A diff change is the only way to combat the suckiness.
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 18:31   #5 (permalink)
{';'}

But will the diff change make a big difference - ie. 3.7-3.9s from a 3.08?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 19:17   #6 (permalink)
400 kg ego

In my personal opinion... the Ford autos are a curse to us all!!! You can put in a shorter diff ratio but you'll only equal the Commodore's take-off at the expense of low rpm highway refinement. That Ford continues to curse even its latest models with that 1st gear is a disgrace.

An interesting fact to consider - if you compared a 3 speed/2.77 EA to a 5 speed/2.92 model, you'll find the 3 speed's gear ratios are somewhat similar to gears 2, 3 and 4 in the manual. In other words, it's like having the manual but taking off in second gear, and cruising on the highway in 4th!

/me looks forward to my Commodore transmission.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 21:19   #7 (permalink)
{';'}

But is the Commo a decent HWY cruiser anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 21:53   #8 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

The TH700R box isnt the best for high HP cars who dont need an overly low 1st gear to get moving. JT id be looking to go for a BTR4speed

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 00:11   #9 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Xrated, the 4 speed Falcon and Commodore have pretty much identical highway cruising rpm and similar 3.08 diff gears. Axeman produced the figures in the "what diff to shove between the legs" thread.

Walky, I'd like that except that the 4 speed is electronic, which could be a bit of a drama. Also, I understand BT-R mods are more costly and the boxes are (I think) more fragile...

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 00:31   #10 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

Even the BA has piss weak take off, the first gear is far too tall, I've managed 90km/h in first gear... Once moving though they're good. The EA autos especially the 3 speed are the slowest things on the road, but are awesome highway cruisers, and that is really all that matters (to me anyway).

Anyway, if you want better take off, put in a manual with a higher diff ratio, and you'll be fine.

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons