Ford Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why are we not driving VN's!?

6K views 59 replies 38 participants last post by  Troutman 
#1 ·
just curious... why'd u pick Ford over Holden?

#27 ·
b4 i bought my first car i asked around to find out the pro's cons of cars that were in my price range (3000) a lot of people said go a commo but when i asked why most of them would shrug the shoulders and just say cos they are better. a few did mention to me a xf or the like. these were ford people but as most (and my self) know ford people love their fords but can still see the short falls of the car. but a holden person (not all i know, but most i have met are like as i will describe) will just blabber off all the good things about their cars but will hide the short falls and then just bag out a ford.

in the end i got a xf

it was bodge stock but it was a helovalotafun. i gave that car shit. every day after work i would head down to my local dirt bowl and do skids till my heart was content. tho many times the car would reach the h on the temp gauge it just kept going i evently droped 3 cylinders but still managed to drive the car round with no 2nd as well for 2 months. ever since that car i have had a strong faith in fords reliability and also enjoy talking and dealing with fellow ford owners.

rather long i know but hey the question was asked....

cheers.joe.

#28 ·
Me: I picked up the Falcon cheap off my sister :)
Also the Commos have a very light front end - not too good on the gravel where I live!

G
#30 ·
I used to own a VN, then one night it decided to catch on fire for no obvious reason. Had it taken back to the dealer and he said "yeah they have a habit of doin that."

Not good enough.... Now I own a Ford....

#31 ·
I got mine for $8500 with 100Ks on it and A1 condition, it came with 12 months warrenty etc blah blah blah... you try finding a V8 Calais for that price. I think not.

I mention V8 because you need one in the Calais to keep up with the six!

#32 ·
You people must just be talking about the V6 VN's are you???? Cause the first car I ever bought was a VN SS V8 Manual that had had the HSV enhancement's, it had 207rwkw's, a lot of mod's both engine and computer and apart from servicing never cost me a cent and never missed a beat. Personaly I still feel it was the best car I've ever bought apart from my COBRA. Not all VN's are shit and not all EA's-EB's are good.

Cheer's

Nathan.

Just my two cent's

End rant....

#33 ·
yeah what he said, I know a fair few people with V-series cars which have served them well. Most of them can't understand why people go on about oil leaks/usage: they look after their cars and the cars look after them.

Exactly the same as a Falcon I might point out to the knuckle-draggers reading this thread :)

#34 ·
hmm ... Had a VN wagon for a number of years. Few troubles aside from a battery. Not a lot to say that stood out about the car, but it was good, reliable transport.

Traded it on a Forester GT. That was a nice vehicle. Kid came along and the boss stopped working so couldn;t afford the repayments anymore, so downtraded on a NC Fairlane Ghia.

The Fairlane is a very nice car. Boss reckons it is the best car she has had.

Bought a V8 EB Ghia to replace my POS XF Ute. Haven;t looked back. Love both of these cars, although one of the new Fairlanes would be nice ...

#35 ·
The only thing that I have to bash about my ED is that fact that it drink coolant like there's no tomorrow. Fill it up then a couple of days later, the light is on again. That's the only that ticks me about mine. I just ignore it but I check it every so often.

#36 ·
argh, it shouldn't be drinking any coolant.
any idea where its going?

#37 ·
I would not have a clue. Everything's in place and looks to be good. I drive a fair bit I might add also (14,000 kms since March) but the amount that I put in is rediculous. I fill up then three or four days later bang, the light bungs on again.

#40 ·
Sounds like your head gasket is leaking. You'll have to replace it or get it replaced :S

Sundeep

#43 ·
check the colour of the oil
make sure no water in it.
also make sure water don't have oil in it.
apparently you can get stuff to check if the exhaust gases are getting in contact with the coolant, i'd look into that.
stupid gasket

#44 ·
what put me of a VN, as NZ said, its a big shell on a VL chassis. it took untill VPII iirc to get the track up to scratch.

However as people have said above, a very well maintained VN can be a good car, esp with the 5.0L, damn they were quick.

#45 · (Edited)
Spaniard,

Since you said your not too technically minded, I'll explain it as if you had no clue, sorry if it sounds patronizing...

I guess any good mech will be able to tell ya, I had the exact same symptoms as have countless other people. Your obviously filling it with tap water yeah? If you leave it it'll just get more and more expensive to fix, filling it with tap water corrodes the head (top half of your engine) and it'll eventually need to get recoed/replaced, around $400-$500.

The headgasket is simply a seal that's put between the head and the block. If you change it yourself, it'll set you back round $50 (provided the head isn't too corroded already), getting a mech to do it will set you back around $1000 :/

The reason they charge so much is that it's a cvnt of a job, not so much hard, but very time consuming. It pretty much involves taking the top half of the engine off. If your confident enough and have the right tools, you should be able to do it yourself with the help of a dedicated manual such as gregory's or whatever it's called.

There'll be a tutorial up soon on eafalcon.com that me and the goodz have worked on when we did my headgasket, but I wouldn't wait for that.....

#46 ·
Farout, and I thought I was going alright. All this because of a gasket. If I get it replaced, how much would that set me back?

#47 ·
well... considering Sphell did a head change over fairly easily in a matter of hours, it didnt look overly hard, you just have to make sure you do everything in the right order.
i wanna know how to do it myself aswell, just so i don't have to eventually fork out $1000 to get it done by some mechanic thats rippin me off.

maybe that can be another eseries meet, headgasket swap over ;)

#48 · (Edited)
It took us a while coz we ran into a few hiccups (rounded head bolt and rounded/seized rocker pedestal bolt, BBQ'd rocker assembly which needed to be taken apart and rockers/pedestals/pedestal-bolts individually cleaned, corroded head that was taken to get recoed and seized locating dowels in the pedestals...) All up it set me back around $700 + $100 worth of KFC to do it ourselves. (That includes radiator flush and general service parts)

If we hadn't run into these problems we would've finished it the same day, but you always gotta be prepared for sh!t like that...

#51 ·
a factory service manual would be nice.
i really should look for one for my EF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.