Wind Noise:Door Seals/Mirrors - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2004, 00:28   #1 (permalink)
ED Fairmont Member

Wind Noise:Door Seals/Mirrors

Hi everyone, Im after some advice re: wind noise on my ED Fairmont. Im finding I get a fair bit of wind noise from the drivers side door and I'm after tips to combat this problem. I've tried adjusting the door so it sits as flush as possible with the middle (b pillar area) of the car, as well as bending the top of the frame in so it sits as flush as possible, however i still i get a fair bit of wind noise most of the time.

Im able to stick my finger in between the door and the body and I dont know i this is a bad thing-does anyone know how flush the door should sit against the body of the car? Is it possible this is an age/wear problem, or simply a design fault that could be helped with retorofitting EF/L door seals etc?

Also one last quick question- has anyone fitted EF/L mirors their EA/B/Ds and found them quieter than the original items?

Thanx.
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2004, 00:47   #2 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Re: Wind Noise:Door Seals/Mirrors

if you have adjusted it in and its still doing it, check to make sure the body line lines up all the way along. You may find the door has dropped slightly with age. Other than that the rubbers may be getting a bit old

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 00:57   #3 (permalink)
ED Fairmont Member

Hi Six-I c u gave an EF, you wouldnt know if the EF door seals are different to the ED ones? I remember hearing they were thicker one time. Thnx for your reply.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:20   #4 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

they are definately a better design than the EA-ED style, Im not 100% sure if they are interchangeable but I would say they are

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:22   #5 (permalink)
Formerly: SmokeEA

im pretty sure they would be at interchangable, since the EF doors are the same as ED ones, or so ive been lead to believe.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:16   #6 (permalink)
still around... sometimes

I was thinkin of gettin new seals in my ED but cbf ringing ford to find out the cost. I guess if the EF ones will fit i'll get them instead. The only real noise i get is around the bottoms when it's raining i can hear the water off the tyres. Still don't wanna ring ford for the cost though...the poor person on the other end will probably get a "you've got to be fycking joking!" in their ear.

Jared

- T04b 1.15 A/R
- 3" zorst
- big cooler
- DBA slotted rotors
- 17x8 AJR Directors
- kings superlows
- megasquirt
- T5
- not quite finished...
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:00   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Hmm, I was thinking of upgrading my EA ones for ED ones. I got a quote for $40 from Falcon Stuff in Bayswater. Just Falcon wont seperate and aren't willing anyway as it's too hard to get them out without damaging them. They are a absolute pain to get off though, and back on without breaking the gazillion little clips. I'm not so sure about getting ED ones now from what you guys are saying!

ED ones look about twice the thickness of EA ones though, and a lot spongier. EF/L are a lot thicker as well, although the rear door ones would be longer due to the extra bit around the quarter window. I'm not sure how they are mounted though, but they are probably mounted in a similar if not the same way. They are made to stay in their positions obviously for the life of the car.

Wind noise one of the more major problems on these cars, so I don't think you can eliminate them instantly by retro-fitting EF/L parts! They did all sorts of stuff in EBII and ED revisions to solve the problem, obviously to no avail.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 07:33   #8 (permalink)
{';'}

Hmmm I actually thought I read people say the EF/EL ones weren't as good as EBII/ED ones... ? I get a lot of wind noise too. It sounds so much noisier than my mate's VS or even my mum's Hyundai. It would feel much more solid and comfortable if it didn't have so much damn noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 15:29   #9 (permalink)

Thanatos went from his EA ones to like EB ones and now he has EF ones.
he's very picky with his wind noise so he might be worth speaking to in relation to this :)

they're deffinately interchangeable but u have to snip bits off as the EF ones are longer.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 16:13   #10 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

There are two different seals that can be replaced. One is the actual door seals and the other is the seal that runs along the tops of the doors, attached to the roof of the car.

Of the door seals, the EF/EL are the best (they are much thicker than the earlier ones), followed by the EB2/ED. The EA ones are just crap. They are all 100% interchangeable. The easiest way is to leave the clips clipped into the door, and remove them from the holes in the rubber, then do the opposite to install the new rubber. This saves breaking all of the clips.

As for the other seal (along the roof), the EA/EB2 one is basically just a right angle peice of rubber (i.e. CRAP!). The ED one is much better, and has multiple sealing surfaces and channels, but if this is going on an EA, replace the metal strips that run down beside the windscreen (they screw in from the side). The EF/EL one is basically the same as the ED one, except one piece of rubber (which seals against the door) is 2mm longer. If you already have the ED one, the EF/EL one is not really worthwhile. Fitting the EF/EL one is a bit of a pain, as the rear end of it needs to be modified to fit the EA-ED C-pillar trim.

Oh, and some free advice for all you ED-EL owners: If you have wind noise, try tucking the roofside seal into the metal strips beside the windscreen. If you look closely, you'll see there is a little lip there for it to tuck under, which makes the seal kinda "puff" out more.

And for all you Melbournians, The official E-series HQ (Jolly Rogers) has door seals for $8 each and those roofside ones for $14 each.

Cheers,
Dave

BTW John, I'm not picky! Not at all...

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons