Worst Mechanical Failure - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2002, 18:59   #1 (permalink)
EA Ford Fanatic

Worst Mechanical Failure

G'day ford fans,
Just wondering whats the worst mechanical failure you fella's have had with your EA. Mine came after having the head redone, after a cool water + hot engine incident (young and naive). Anyway, I had a mobile mechanic come over to the house and put on a new head. The oil had turned into a white emulsion before the car seized and I realised what the **** was going on.
Anyway, about a month after having the work done, on a run into the city for work, at a set of traffic lights the car just cut out. Rolled the car to outside Daimaru and put on the hazard lights and left it there while I did a shift at work. The next day, had another mobile mechanic come and have a look at the car. He just shook his head telling me that it was the head, but I told him that i just fixed it. He had to rip the thing off and when he did, I almost died!
The timing chain had come out of the cam, sending the pistons smashing into all the valves. All 12 valves were absolutely bent so they couldn't open or closed.
The happy ending to this story is that because the first mechanic didn't secure the timing chain properly he had to redo the job. New cam, new valves and he claimed it on insurance so it didn't cost me anything to get it all fixed again, the only problem was doing without the car for a couple of days.
copscatchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2002, 19:53   #2 (permalink)

Oh man, that would be hell...

If that happened to me, i'd want to rip that mechanic a new arsehole..

That's one thing I hate about the motor industry, is the amount of wankers and scammers out there that either rip you off, or don't do a proper job.

Neways, at least you got the car up and running, and he fixed it again for free, so he can't be too much of an arsewipe, but still...

Dave
antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 20:04   #3 (permalink)

The worst mechanical failure I've had with my EA? Umm... that would probably be needing a new alternator closely followed by needing a new Fan belt. I can't complain.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 21:24   #4 (permalink)
eafalcon.com member

The worst thing that has happened to my ea is the throttle position sensor. It f***ed up and the car was constantly revving high. When I slowed down for lights the car would still try to rev at 1500-2700rpm then taking about 40-70 seconds to lower the revs, fighting the brakes a hell of a lot during this time. Very scary when having to break suddenly as it did not want to stop. I replaced it and now it runs sweet as.

never late in a V8

comming soon
K&N air filter
XR8 intake snorkle
High flow exhaust/cats/hm headers
Clear front & side indicators
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 22:19   #5 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

TFI Module dieing, it's happened Twice, the first time was when I was driving it a couple of months after I got my licence, it was running roughly so i went to turn right into a side street and it died, I had to push the damn thing out of the intersection and nearly got hit by a bus. Second time dad had the car and luckily it died going out of one of mums friends driveway, weird thing is it happened exactly 1 year and 13 days after the first time it was replaced, luckily it was still under warranty and we got it replaced for absolutely nothing, they didnt even charge labour to replace it and they did it at 4 o'clock on a friday arvo
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 23:55   #6 (permalink)

In my old EA, a snapped handbrake cable would have been the worst in nearly 50,000 kms of ownership. Who said EAs were unreliable
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 00:13   #7 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Well I have two incidents that I can't decide between.

About a year ago, it was a wet night, and I decided to take my EA down to a deserted industrial area for an ass whippin. After revving a little too much, it backfired and blew out the head gasket. I am pretty sure it was caused by burnt out spark plugs.

Then a few months ago, I was attempting to do one of my first burnouts with a newly installed T5 and LSD diff.... BANG.. Bye Bye new LSD.
Pushed her home, put it on a trailer and towed it down to the diff place for a new diff.... again.

So as you can see, the only major problems I have had are a direct result of me being an absolute dickhead, so I deserve it, So I cant complain either :-)

U wanna Play, U gotta Pay
Old 06-28-2002, 05:01   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

argh,

my worst ford incident was a drag racing one, pushed the ED too far dragging my mates silvia, had a green shower over my front windscreen, turned out to be a clogged radiator!!!

paul
ed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 05:04   #9 (permalink)
400 kg ego

My worst was when my friggen battery wasn't working properly. The car had been jump started and I was going on a long-ish trip, but the car almost stalled when I tried to turn on the headlights and it was dark. I was damn worried at the time. Ended up having to get a new battery along the way, which solved the problem....

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 05:43   #10 (permalink)
E-Series Cameraman

I have not as yet had any real problems with the LTD. Other than an unhealthy shudder from the front discs, which was rather cheaply machined out. And the ISC solenoid not doing its job which I fixed recently and the aircon and heater not working. But it's never left me stranded, but it has saved a few other vehicles.

Alex
The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons