Xe Esp Vs Brock Vh Ss - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2005, 16:44   #1 (permalink)

Xe Esp Vs Brock Vh Ss

A mate of mine bought an old motor magazine of ebay which had a comparo with the ESP VS VH SS. I havent had the chance to read it but he tells me the esp gets beaten in straight line, handling and everything else you could possibly imagine.

If anybody has read any reviews maybe they can share some more light on a rare classic?
KNG-40L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2005, 18:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: Xe Esp Vs Brock Vh Ss

This may be the article you are talking about the VH does a 15.1-1/4mile to the XE's-16.1 but the falcon has a slightly higher top speed although the Ford gets a good write up they call the Commodore Group3 the best sports sedan in the world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg espsml.jpg (68.3 KB, 106 views)
mattlea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 19:58   #3 (permalink)

I owned an XE 351 ESP, 4 speed. The only reason the Brock car beat the ESP in the test was the fact Brock homolgated the VH for Bathurst and there was nothing really stock about the VH. The ESP had a sports suspension set up which Ford boasted about having Bilsteins shocks but the ESP was more or less a police pack Falcon.
The last of the Cleveland V8 was one of the best. I ended up spending some money on the engine, (Holley, extractors/exhaust, port and polish, mild cam) and it transformed the car.
Pity some scum stole it.
Mr GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:12   #4 (permalink)

Mattlea 1. thats the article im talking about which i actually read today. It was an interesting read but just regarding to quarter mile times, the journo's didnt rev the car all the way and thats how they acheived a 15.1 compared to brock when he achieved a 14.6 because he much drove the car harder and revved it more which got him a better time.

Mr GTHO that probably sounds about right on how brock homolgated the vh for bathurst which made it a quite different car. Very sorry to hear about your ride being stolen. They are big head turner once there modified right to bad you dont get to see cars like these classics on the road more often.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:12   #5 (permalink)

I also noticed the ford had 149kw and the Holden was putting out 180kw so the ford had a handicap to start with.
mattlea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 22:17   #6 (permalink)

In a stock 4.1L XE ESP Ghia 4 speed vs Commodore VH 4.2L V8 SL/X 4 speed, the Motor roadtest of the time finished with the quote: "And that's the crux of this test, what the Commodore does it does well, what the Ghia does well, it does better then the Holden (or words to that effect) with the decision favouring the Ghia ESP....remember where talking stock manuals, Ford I6 vs Holden 4.2L V8 with the Ford judged as winner. A little more fairer comparison then a Brock special against a stock model.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 22:38   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

They comparisons may be a bit unfair, they were probably the best of each manufacturer at the time. It certainly wasn't a golden era in Australian Muscle Cars.

Brock's had alot of influnce on the start of building some great factory modified Muscle cars, then HSV took over from him. Ford didn't seem that focused on the area. Dick Johnson was probably one of the best Ford drivers and he was not really factory sponsored. It's probably a period for regrets.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 23:36   #8 (permalink)

Yeh thats fair enough Mattlea1 but its the real tall gearing the ESP has which also plays a role for it lack of quarter mile times. The comparisons was like the best models each manufacturer could offer at that time but i understand what your trying to get at.

Wasnt fords greatest year the 80's thats for sure but there are some unique,rare and tough looking cars ford bought out and id have to say the ESP is one of them :)
Old 01-27-2005, 00:02   #9 (permalink)

The ESP was actaully faster than every Holden produced at the time. The reason the SS was faster is because it was build by HDT and at that point in time we had no tickford or FPV. So for a true Comparison they should have raod tested a 308 4spd SL/E against the ESP.

Apple with apples.

Basically compare the ESP to an SS you would need to, take the ESP put some 4v heads on, stick a big cam in it, some extractor and a holley on top, stuff in a close ratio 4spd and some stiffer springs and bars, then see how good the SS is.
Old 01-27-2005, 00:21   #10 (permalink)

Grey esp if you do aftermarket stuff to it of course it will be better, works the same for holden once they fiddle with there engines as well. Its true how ford had no partner like the way holden did with HDT so thats another factor to consider. Its just the 5.8l is a real under performer with all these emmisions rules introduced at that time and all the other little things that go with it. For sure though being a 5.8l is has alot of potential once modified to your liking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons