XE V8 Conversion questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2004, 21:17   #1 (permalink)
82XE 351c

confused XE V8 Conversion questions

Hey fellas...
I am putting a 351c in an 82 XE manual.

Has anyone done this and kept the 6cl driveline? 4sp borg,6cl tailshaft and the 2.73 SS borg diff.
Now when i push my gearbox up to my bellhousing, the gear selector section is way past the pre-cut whole for the gear stick...
Now the cast part that the gear stick comes directly down into, bolts off the back of the box.. I know this as you replace them if you strip the thread for the gearstick.
Now what i need is that part, but with the 'thread whole', where ya stick goes in, about 3 or so inchs back towards the diff. Is this a standard ford part? did they release V8 borg 4spd's?
I am not sure what to call the part either!

Also, when all that moves forward I am going to need resizing of the driveshaft... who has done this to the 6cl before? can you rem the lengths? Is balancing needed as i prob smash uni's and rest of driveline soon anyways?

before you say just go a v8 tailshaft, the yoke will need to be changed which is $$, also the gear box end will be a diff diameter pin.

how have you guys over-come this 2 problems?

thanyou if you reply, this forum makes doing any mods alot easier!!
pracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2004, 01:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: XE V8 Conversion questions

The only advice I can give you is be realistic Pracy.
The six cyl drive train is just never gunna hack the pace with a 351 in front of it.
Your 2.73 diff will fry the clutch around town before tearing the spider gears out
of your 2 pinion B/W rear end, the gearbox is different and I dont think its as simple as changing the extension housing, and yes, it will spit out unis, then the tailshaft belts the shit out of your mufflers while your trying to get it stopped.
The cost of repairs,towing fees,the inconvenience of not having your car will far outweigh the $$$ you are complaining about paying for a diff yoke.
Do yourself a favour, save a bit more and see if can pick up a rusty V8 XE from the Trading Post or the wreckers.
Sell the engine and your left with a complete V8 drive line and all the other little
bits [cables,electrics,radiator, exhaust etc.....
And that will get you a much better car with a lot less money and dramas.
Good luck with it:]
Old 12-05-2004, 13:14   #3 (permalink)

The singlerail will work fine.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 18:34   #4 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Is the 6cyl single rail the same as the V8 one? A 2 pinion diff won't be strong enough. Presumably you are not putting a V8 in it to toddle around like a grandma (no offence to any grandmas reading haha) so as REDEBXR8 said do it properly and do it once.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 19:13   #5 (permalink)
82XE 351c

well bugger his advice :p
i dont mean that but still, i said i needed cheap, whats the point of telling me to get another donor car?
Prob fixed for about $55 :)
new V8 long tailshaft, fits straight in any borg i found out and i am changing the diff end. It may brake the diff ( it will) but that would happen anyways. So hopefully this is the way to go.
Now i need the exact length of standard V8 tailshafts?
Old 12-05-2004, 22:12   #6 (permalink)

I have converted 2 XE's from 6 cyl auto to 351, 1 with single rail and the other with FMX. With the single rail, I used a 6 cyl box, 6 cyl auto tailshaft (sedan) and same BW 2.77 diff. Over approx. 9 months I blew up 3 gearboxes, 1 diff centre and twisted both axles. Didn't have any problems with shifter not lining up to hole in floor. Good luck!
LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 23:12   #7 (permalink)
82XE 351c

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeGT
I have converted 2 XE's from 6 cyl auto to 351, 1 with single rail and the other with FMX. With the single rail, I used a 6 cyl box, 6 cyl auto tailshaft (sedan) and same BW 2.77 diff. Over approx. 9 months I blew up 3 gearboxes, 1 diff centre and twisted both axles. Didn't have any problems with shifter not lining up to hole in floor. Good luck!
exact thing i was waiting to hear, the box did end up being in the right spot, not sure what we were doing on sat? :( lol

thanks for your help guys!
Old 12-05-2004, 23:58   #8 (permalink)
heard it before!

yeah i'll just reinforce the truth, i converted my 6 cyl EFI ESP XE to 351 and used all 6 cyl stuff from gearbox back. as long as you've got single rail bell housing on you're clevo of course.
i was thinking first that you may have a cortina single rail as the shifter position is closer to motor, otherwise the gearbox is the same without the extention housing.
when i did mine i blew 2 second hand 6 cyl gearboxes(v8 ones have taller first gear prob won't like 2.77 diff) had another 6 cyl box recoed and never died in 80000kays i had car for. diff was a 2.92LSD with 25 spline axels and prob 2 pinion but never died with regular chirps, burnouts, donuts and drifting(lsd was very tight) a single spiner diff won't last long i don't think as for tailshaft never had a prob with 6 cyl one
personally the thing i disliked with this conversion was the loss of handling with a big heavy motor making understeer and fuel econ which you would have to expect
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 00:06   #9 (permalink)
82XE 351c

yeah i am worried about how much handling diff its gunna make!!! i think alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons