XF accelerator cable woes, help please! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2005, 04:28   #1 (permalink)

XF accelerator cable woes, help please!

My '89 XF panel van caught fire but that's a whole 'nother story. I'm trying to replace the accelerator cable and got a 2nd hand one from another 4.1 XF which SHOULD fit mine or so everyone keeps telling me. The problem is that inside the car the cable runs through what looks from the front like a plastic cube but which is iregularly shaped at the back, that is set into the middle of a hole towards the top of a plate which is affixed to the firewall but sits out from the firewall where the cable runs through it. No problems getting the cable off the pedal, but getting it through that hole in the plate is impossible and the bit of plastic in the middle of the plate can't be shifted unless I cut it to bits with a very sharp knife. I'd cheerfully do that, but would have trouble later with the new cable rubbing on the edges of the metal plate.

The end of the cable won't go through the hole in the bit of plastic or the piece of metal surrounding it. I can't pull the metal plate out, nor the bit of plastic set into it.

What is supposed to happen is that the diamond shaped bit of plastic (which the new part has but the old one doesn't) is bolted to the firewall with two 10mm (?) bolts. The old setup presently on the car has no diamond shaped bit of plastic, no bolts and nothing resembling either, there's just this plate (which would be about 5cm across with curved outer edges) running up from the direction of the floor with the cable passing through the bit of plastic (about 1.5cm squarish) set into it towards the top.

I am not exaggerating in any way. The plate exists. The diamond shaped piece of plastic doesn't exist on the old cable. I can't get the plate itself out because the heads of the bolts go through the firewall and are inaccessible, (especially if you're trying to do this on your own!) while the nuts that hold the plate on are inside the car well below the level of the cable and it's attachment to the pedal. There has to be something here that I'm missing, something really easy like just a little bit of leverage in the right spot. Unfortunately, I'm not game to go applying leverage madly because anything I break can't be replaced while I have no transport!

No one I've spoken to will believe me that this is what I'm looking at and I keep getting told to just undo the two 10mm bolts going through the piece of plastic. There is no piece of plastic there and there are no bolts going through the nonexistent piece of plastic!

There are two bolts, much larger ones, going through the plate much lower down. They're positioned vertically, one above the other and are way too big and too far apart and too far away to ever fit into the little diamond shaped piece of plastic on the new cable.

I can't get the car to anyone to help me with this unless I rig up something with a bit of tie wire... I live in a country area and getting someone out to help with it is less likely than the car itself taking flight over the nearest cliff...

So PLEASE, PLEASE, if you have any idea what I'm talking about with plates and cables etc and why the old cable won't come out, PLEASE HELP? I'm probably missing something minor, but I really don't know what it is and no one believes me that what's actually there IS what's there, so I'm getting no help in actually fixing the problem. I don't care if you tell me I'm silly- just believe me that what I've said exists DOES and HELP, please!

This is the newest car I've ever owned and I don't think I'll be updating it when it finally gets rolled off a cliff in a fit of pique. It's damn lucky I bothered fixing it after it decided to spit a power steering hose and get its own little flame thrower going under the bonnet. Too many stupid, minor, unnecessary things like door handles break and stuff like plastic-mounted wing mirrors cost a fortune to replace when you sideswipe wandering cattle on a regular basis... not to mention the rotten plastic bumper bar affair that's always about to fall off because the silly little plastic clips have disintegrated... My '76 Effie's definitely going back on the road soon! The only silly little plastic clips on it hold the door trims in and who needs them anyway?
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005, 05:05   #2 (permalink)
heard it before!

Re: XF accelerator cable woes, help please!

woahhh,
firstly i cant make sense of what you are on about, BUT.......
if its an XF, the cable must be undone at the carby first(or throttle body in EFI) then undo the inner cable from the pedal just clips in bull it bac toward the rear of the car A bit.
then you undo two horizontally mounted 10mm nuts that are over a black plastic oval shaped thing, this may be hidden by carpet or Felt it will be directly inline with where you unhooked the cable fron the pedal lever. once you have undone the two nuts you simply pull the cable through from inside the car,

simple i've done it ,many times.
that is for an XF, i'm going to bed now but i can take a pic tommorow of removed cable and the nuts in my XF if you ask me too, by that stage you may have already worked it out or someone else may speak your panic lingo
have another look please and make sure its an XF, as XD comes through fron engine bay and has one bolt in almost the centre of the fire wall where XF is closer but under the bonnet release cable
Old 06-06-2005, 05:32   #3 (permalink)

OK, thanks, I am panicking. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer. What you're describing is what's SUPPOSED to be in my car and what the new cable I have ready to put into it looks like.

Yep, I undid the cable at the carby end, then removed it from the pedal. No problems there.

The two horizontally mounted nuts you mention are not there. I promise you. I've spent five hours today ripping the carpet out and tearing chunks of my hair out over these supposed bolts that everyone says are there. They really aren't.

I've looked at the new cable. I can imagine where the two bolts would go through the oval shaped plastic thing if it all fitted as it's supposed to. But that's not what's in my car. There is NO plastic oval shaped thing in my car and NO bolts attaching it to the car.

Instead, where the bolts might be is a metal plate that comes up vertically from the floor which has one hole through it which is lined with a squarish piece of plastic that the cable goes through before it goes through the hole in the firewall. There is no oval shaped plastic thing attached to this. there are no bolts attached to it either. The plate (think narrow sheet of slightly convex metal) is held onto the car much lower down by two large bolts.

There are no bolts at all holding the cable in place. The cable is held in place by passing through the hole in the piece of plastic inside the metal plate (think grommet inside the plate.) I can run my fingers along the cable between the plate and the firewall and there is nothing around the cable there.

I know that the cable I have is theoretically the correct one for an XF. The new cable I have sounds like what you describe too. My car is supposed to be an XF- 1989. I don't think the set up you describe for an XE would fit either. There are NO bolts involved in holding the cable in place inside the car. Not two, not one, none.

The old cable looks exactly like the new one except that what you describe as the oval shaped thing is just not there on the old one and the end has a ball on it rather than a cylinder as the new one does. Both have green carby ends with a spring. both are identical apart from the one oval shaped thingie and it's attachment, or lack thereof...

I'm sorry, I've spent all day stressing about this and until I get it going I'm stuck here. I very much appreciate your help and wish my explanation had been clearer. Thanks for your offer of pics. If I'm still stuck tomorrow I may post pics in an effort to explain what I'm seeing here that isn't what everyone else reckons should be there. I understand what you're talking about. I know what it should look like and how it should fit. I'm stumped by the fact that it's not happening like that. Thanks!

firstly i cant make sense of what you are on about, BUT.......
if its an XF, the cable must be undone at the carby first(or throttle body in EFI) then undo the inner cable from the pedal just clips in bull it bac toward the rear of the car A bit.
then you undo two horizontally mounted 10mm nuts that are over a black plastic oval shaped thing, this may be hidden by carpet or Felt it will be directly inline with where you unhooked the cable fron the pedal lever. once you have undone the two nuts you simply pull the cable through from inside the car,

simple i've done it ,many times.
that is for an XF, i'm going to bed now but i can take a pic tommorow of removed cable and the nuts in my XF if you ask me too, by that stage you may have already worked it out or someone else may speak your panic lingo
have another look please and make sure its an XF, as XD comes through fron engine bay and has one bolt in almost the centre of the fire wall where XF is closer but under the bonnet release cable[/QUOTE]
Old 06-06-2005, 11:52   #4 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerulean

I know that the cable I have is theoretically the correct one for an XF. The new cable I have sounds like what you describe too. My car is supposed to be an XF- 1989. I don't think the set up you describe for an XE would fit either. cable
[/QUOTE]

here's your problem i think, the XFs were made upto 1987 so you have an EA i haven't removed one of these yet so it just may be as you describe, what you have bought is an XF cable what you need by the sound oof it is an EA cable, EAs were made between 1988 and 1991 there is two types of cable i guess, one for multipoint fuel injection and one for centre point injection which if it looks like a carby is what i think you will have
try the E series section for removal advise
Old 06-06-2005, 15:05   #5 (permalink)

Thanks very much deankdx! I was thinking it had to be something like that. The "plate" I describe is actually a bracket for the accelerator itself. My car definitely has a carby (a weber). I'll try to find an EA cable next and will pick the brains of whoever sells it to me about how to get the old one out! When I finally get it out, if there's some trick to it, which I'm sure there's gotta be, because I've tried everything I can think of, I'll let you know.

here's your problem i think, the XFs were made upto 1987 so you have an EA i haven't removed one of these yet so it just may be as you describe, what you have bought is an XF cable what you need by the sound oof it is an EA cable, EAs were made between 1988 and 1991 there is two types of cable i guess, one for multipoint fuel injection and one for centre point injection which if it looks like a carby is what i think you will have
try the E series section for removal advise[/QUOTE]
Old 06-06-2005, 19:47   #6 (permalink)

OK, I've been on the phone again and found that my car IS an XF as I believed, BUT for a few months in 1989 they were fitted with a different type of accelerator cable and pedal bracket, similar to but not the same as an AE. Apparently Ford makes four different types of XF accelerator cables and this is just one that wasn't put on that many cars comparatively-speaking.
I ordered the corect cable and am waiting for it to arrive late this afternoon. I hope THIS time I've got the right one! I've got the bracket out and discovered that it should be possible to get the cable out without removing the bracket by pressing in on the sides of the black plastic square (that holds it inside the pedal bracket) with a pair of pliers. But that's probably more annoying than just pulling the whole bracket out and you can't see what you're doing any way to tell which sides to push in on with the bracket in place.
Thanks again for the help!
Old 06-06-2005, 22:07   #7 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
OK, I've been on the phone again and found that my car IS an XF as I believed, BUT for a few months in 1989 they were fitted with a different type of accelerator cable and pedal bracket, similar to but not the same as an AE.!
where are you located, not Australia? i've never seen an 89 XF or that accel cable set up, good luck anyway
Old 06-07-2005, 01:38   #8 (permalink)

I live in the Hunter in NSW and the car was bought new in the area I believe, but I might be wrong. No one else has seen one like it either. In fact it was the local Holden dealer who found out about it for me! They needed to check the month it was made-only a few months' cars made in '89 have this type. The wreckers, helpful friends and Ford place I spoke to didn't check- just told me to bolt on that little diamond shaped piece... grrrr.
The new cable is on and the car's going. It's very easy when you have the right one! Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:47   #9 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
I live in the Hunter in NSW
The new cable is on and the car's going. It's very easy when you have the right one! Thanks again.
i would love a couple of pics of the cable,the ID tag and anything else you reckon may be different just to satisfy my curiosity if you can,
amzing things that ford do sometimes
Old 06-07-2005, 07:54   #10 (permalink)
I love my FORD!

mate, i had an 88 ea... WTF!!! they weren't still makeing xf's after the release of the ea?????
2003 BA FUTURA. Harvest Green, Lowered with Kings springs and Koni shocks, 18" GT-P mag wheels, XR front bar headlights and grill, XR rear spoiler, Fairmont Bootlid trim, XR6T snorkle, Typhoon second CAI, K&N filter, Pacemaker extractors with Herrod cat back, 3.73 LSD & CAPA FLASH with custom tune. ALSO 12" dual voice coil kicker, JL 5x7's and 1800W of amps!
dawal5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons