XF cuts out - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 02:26   #1 (permalink)

XF cuts out

Hi all,

I've got a '87 XF (dual fuel). Recently the old girl refused to run on gas (I think it has something to do with the solenoids as I don't hear them click when I turn on the ignition, anyhoo!), so I've just been running on petrol.

But for the last two days I've occasionally had the car not cough, but loose power for a few seconds when driving, then suddenly get back up and run again. It feels like the engine has just cut out and the car is coasting. The car hasn't stalled, but it seems to be very similar issue cropping up as was right before the gas failed for good.

Now my initial thought could perhaps be the fuel pump but my only experience with faulty fuel pumps is the car will run rough or revs move up and down. Then I was thinking with the electronic ignition is the ignition module about to fail?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. BTW, the car is a 4.1 carby + 3sp auto.

Cheers,
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2007, 16:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: XF cuts out

hi ive got a 1986 xf 4.1 ghia model , its the efi model aswell and ive had the exact same problem cos i get about mins down the road and it cuts out for a few seconds and you can pump the gas but nothing happens then it comes back on again and eventely it turns off. well ive replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter and even new lines and that changed absolutely nothing, and ive also been told that the electronic ignition modules on the side of the dizzys in the xfs pack up all the time and always need new ones, so i suggest you replace that , if that doesnt do it then try replace the dizzy. because i had fuel pumping thru all the time and it was either fuel or spark problem, so ive eliminated fuel so im guessing its down to spark problems. so a new module or dizzy should do it.
XFGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:11   #3 (permalink)

Similar problem in the EA falcons. The dizzy seems to be the main source of electrical problems due to wear in the shaft & arcs out. Also as mentioned previously the soleniods always carry spares to plug & try.
Al Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:16   #4 (permalink)

Is that the shaft that goes down from the dizzy and has the rotor on the end?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:27   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFGuy
Is that the shaft that goes down from the dizzy and has the rotor on the end?
Yep. It runs through a metal tube that can be replaced if you know how. I just got a reco dizzy & did the job.

With electircal probs they are like a mine field. You just never know. 3 auto sparkies couldn't find the problem till a car dismantler told me!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:30   #6 (permalink)

Also cousin has a power out problem similar aswell & will be picking his car up on sat. Drives & power seems to cut & if he brakes it stalls had to drive with two feet.

Will let you know the outcome of that as well.
Old 06-19-2007, 19:14   #7 (permalink)

biggrin Re: XF cuts out

Ok then. but did you know im only 16 haha im suprised at what i know for a 16 yr old. its just my passion for fords i guess lol. hmm yeah GO FORD!!!
Old 07-23-2007, 22:11   #8 (permalink)

Distributor was the problem & earthing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons