XF Falcon Ute - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2004, 03:48   #1 (permalink)

XF Falcon Ute

I just purchased my first car thursday, an XF falcon ute. I got it for $250!!. While the body does have some rust in it, mainly on the roof on the edge of the windscreen and in the tray, but my more mechanically minded friends assure me this can be cut out :D, infact a mate of mine who also owns a pretty sweet XF will cut it out for me for the cost of the materials :D.

However what problems are normally assosiated with an XF what should i look out for or perhaps replace.

The engine is a 250 crossflow which i hear should give all the 253 small block v8s in the all the commodores around here a good run for their money.

All and all im pretty proud of my new car and cant wait to get it de rusted and resprayed :D.

Im going to take some pictures tomorrow so you can see what its like now and the finished product :D.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2004, 05:08   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: XF Falcon Ute

you should check ALL ball joints and tie rod ends to make sure they are still good. give it a good tune and you will notice a big difference. the power of the carby 250 is about 98 fwkw and the EFI is around 120 fwkw but should give you some fun against some old 253s. also the drivers door will probably need new hinges as they do get sloppy and sag over time. and you cant go past a good set of extractors and a 2.5 inch flow through exhaust....just for fun.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:22   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
you should check ALL ball joints and tie rod ends to make sure they are still good. give it a good tune and you will notice a big difference. the power of the carby 250 is about 98 fwkw and the EFI is around 120 fwkw but should give you some fun against some old 253s. also the drivers door will probably need new hinges as they do get sloppy and sag over time. and you cant go past a good set of extractors and a 2.5 inch flow through exhaust....just for fun.
yeah i was looking at getting a new 3 inch exhaust if that would fit, and the door handles are stuffed, but a freind of mine said he can fix that easy and would do it when he has time. Also if i got buckets how expensive or hard would if be to get the column shift auto put on the floor (i have a bench right now)

im also wondering what i could do to replace the cracked vynal on the doors, is there a cheap method i could use in the short term at least?
Old 07-17-2004, 05:33   #4 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

ok a few things first. if you put bucket seats in you WILL need an engineers certificate to be able to get a RWC. you will be required to weld some plates in where the second set of holes will be for the seats for extra strength (safety). column to floor isnt that hard im lead to believe (never done it though) and you will also need an engineers certificate to get a RWC for that as well as having to weld plates around the hole you cut in the floor for extra strength (safety). go talk to ANY RWC tester about this and they will tell you the same thing. column shift isnt that bad. i have it in my XF pano and im past caring about it.
as for the door trims, take a trip down to your local wrecker and he will sell you a set for around $20. if you can, go pick the ones you want then that is even better. if not tell him the colour you want and he will get them and show you so you can inspect them first. (note price is only what i would pay and would be able to get in my town.) so when you have them you can take yours off and throw them away and no more rips.
hope this helps you some.
its best to ask here about anything that you want to do as there is alot of knowledge here that can save you time and money...not to mention headaches, so feel free to ask about anything...doesnt matter how big or small or even if you think its stupid.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:43   #5 (permalink)
No longer around

thor. where abouts are you? if your in melbourne i have a perfect condition XF S pack dash including cluster that i no longer need. its grey colour and also comes with all necessary trims to convert your interior to grey if its the crap brown colour. no door trims though as i had a ghia interior in my ute.

ill be happy with $ 150 for all that

also, you can put an EA console in it, which will greatly increase interior looks over teh XF one. get a series 2 or EB console as they have the lid, and also get an early EA shifter and surround (as early EA's came with the 3 speed auto)
MADNC_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 05:46   #6 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
as i had a ghia interior in my ute.

did you have the ghia dash in too? was that a pain in the arse job not really recommended for your average joe? been thinking about it but not too sure if i can finish it or not if i start.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:50   #7 (permalink)
No longer around

no. mine had the poo brown interior, and i put grey velour trims and seats, and power windows in. i also had the digi cluster.
i stopped caring about it when i bought my NC, and sold the ute without doing the grey interior changeover

ive heard that the full dash isnt hard. get a stuffed Ghia or fairlane and totally rip out everythnig from your falcon. fit EFi while your at it.
replace every loom in teh front of the car and the dash should go in with ease
Old 07-17-2004, 05:52   #8 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

sounds like me now. just got the ZL and really dont know if i care about the pano anymore......all it seems good for now is to take out and give a good squirt (as the ZL is a grandpa car)
Old 07-17-2004, 05:57   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
thor. where abouts are you? if your in melbourne i have a perfect condition XF S pack dash including cluster that i no longer need. its grey colour and also comes with all necessary trims to convert your interior to grey if its the crap brown colour. no door trims though as i had a ghia interior in my ute.

also, you can put an EA console in it, which will greatly increase interior looks over teh XF one. get a series 2 or EB console as they have the lid, and also get an early EA shifter and surround (as early EA's came with the 3 speed auto)
I live in queensland but im really interested in that, is there anyway you could send it down here, but i get the cost of shipping would be more than the cost of the stuff itself :(.

and thanks for the suggestions !
Old 07-18-2004, 03:11   #10 (permalink)
No longer around

ill work out what size box and the weight of it, then we'll be able to work out transport costs. TNT deliver boxed items australia wide, so i'll go with them. is there a TNT depot near you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons