XF Fuel Economy ???? How far should it go - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2005, 05:54   #1 (permalink)

Question XF Fuel Economy ???? How far should it go

Hello all, thanks for stopping by

I have an 87 XF wagon. 4.1 L Auto.

On average with the stop start city driving we are getting just 250 - 270 km out of a full tank. We have the ZL dash (all electric) At the moment it has the 2 red lights and 2 small green lights left showing for the fuel gauge and we have only done 200km from full.

I have put a full rebuild kit through the carby, standard weber. We also have fitted the posiflow fuel saver thingies (not much noticeable difference though)

My main concern is is this fuel economy average or terrible. If it is terrible any ideas on what would help improve it would be greatly appreciated.

It doesnt matter if I drive it or my wife, it still gets around the same in the city. So her lead foot theory doesnt work, lucky me.

Any help greatly appreciated especially with the rising fuel costs.
bwragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2005, 06:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: XF Fuel Economy ???? How far should it go

Well, my dad has an XF Manual. 250km from a tank sounds terrible, they have 65 litre tanks yes? If the engines sluggish then it's tired and could use a rebuild, otherwise make use of proper mixture and timing as these are crucial. And I'm not talking just about initial timing at idle, timing's gotta advance right too. Somethings really wrong with 250km from a tank.By the way my dad reckons he gets around the 420km from a tank, and it's a pretty tired engine too, he reckons when it was knew we'd drive it on the highway, to queensland and back and he'd get 600km from a tank.
Old 06-02-2005, 15:46   #3 (permalink)

http://www.geocities.com/falconfacts.../xffalcon.html

XF wagon fuel tank is 72 litres. At 11.5 l/100km for city driving you should have a range of around 626 km.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 16:08   #4 (permalink)
XFFAIRMONT

Theres no way you'd get 626km city driving, i get that highway driving in my xf which i thought was ok. Your fuel economy sounds pretty bad mate. I always use optimax seem to get better fuel economy and better overall for the motor. Also i've advanced the timing a bit so its better all round.
Old 06-02-2005, 17:19   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
http://www.geocities.com/falconfacts.../xffalcon.html

XF wagon fuel tank is 72 litres. At 11.5 l/100km for city driving you should have a range of around 626 km.
City driving in Sydney would use a lot more petrol in 2005 then in the 80s when the XF was tested. I suspect it would use more like 18L/100Km.
Old 06-02-2005, 23:50   #6 (permalink)
XB Falcon 500 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwragg
Hello all, thanks for stopping by

I have an 87 XF wagon. 4.1 L Auto.

On average with the stop start city driving we are getting just 250 - 270 km out of a full tank. We have the ZL dash (all electric) At the moment it has the 2 red lights and 2 small green lights left showing for the fuel gauge and we have only done 200km from full.

I have put a full rebuild kit through the carby, standard weber. We also have fitted the posiflow fuel saver thingies (not much noticeable difference though)

My main concern is is this fuel economy average or terrible. If it is terrible any ideas on what would help improve it would be greatly appreciated.

It doesnt matter if I drive it or my wife, it still gets around the same in the city. So her lead foot theory doesnt work, lucky me.

Any help greatly appreciated especially with the rising fuel costs.
I'd say about 400 odd at best - on a nice motor.
Old 06-03-2005, 22:52   #7 (permalink)
1987 'S' Pack Falcon

Hello,

Here's my 2 cents worth,

I have a 1987 XF 4.1 carby sedan.
it has a 63 litre tank and around town i can get around 500k's per tank and around 600 on highway.

I have worked out highway usage at about 10kms per liter.

I have tried using premium fuel a few times but for some strange reason i seem to get noticeably worse econonomy.......but from what i have heard it should be a bit better....any ideas on this?...as i said i tried it a few times with similar results...

Anyway 200 - 250k's per tank is very bad......

Also for interest my XF has only just gone over 115,000k's!!!
goXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:36   #8 (permalink)
MMM

sounds about right my XE only city driving was getting about 300kms its crap
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 23:04   #9 (permalink)

My XE sedan was getting 320k's / tank with a stuffed motor. I have now changed the motor, but the speedo stopped working! Typical! Anyhow, I suspect it is much the same. Would like any suggestions on how to improve it tho. Mostly local driving, running on crappy unleaded (leaded motor), standard reco carby, standard exhaust.
LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons