XF Ghia problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2004, 01:47   #1 (permalink)

XF Ghia problems

ok, im new to this forum so be kind.

I brought a 1985 XF Fairmont Ghia in September 03 and i havnt touched it since then. There are some issues however that i hope somebdy here can give me some advice on.

1. The door handles. like any other XD-XE-XF car, the door handles are a real problem. Two of them do not work. How can they be fixed.

I remember reading a story in the Street Machine Ford special last year (blue XD on the cover) and they did a story on a 'spearmint green' XE with no door handles, but he modified it so when you unlocked the lock, the doors would come open.

If these door handles are to be an ongoing issue, would it be easier to modify it like that

2. Being a XF Ghia, the car came with electric windows. One of these does not work. How do i go about getting a new motor for the electric windows?

3. Also, the top of the dash is cracked after many years of sitting in the sun. Is it easy to replace this?

4. to get it up to roadworthy, the drivers seatbelt needs to be replaced. can i legally do this myself, and is it easy enough to do.

5. Finally, it is a black car. it had those two little red strips running the length of both sides. i managed to get them off, but they left glue on the panels. What can i use to get the glue of the panels.

thanks
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2004, 02:55   #2 (permalink)
heard it before!

Re: XF Ghia problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
ok, im new to this forum so be kind.

I brought a 1985 XF Fairmont Ghia in September 03 and i havnt touched it since then. There are some issues however that i hope somebdy here can give me some advice on.

1. The door handles. like any other XD-XE-XF car, the door handles are a real problem. Two of them do not work. How can they be fixed.

I remember reading a story in the Street Machine Ford special last year (blue XD on the cover) and they did a story on a 'spearmint green' XE with no door handles, but he modified it so when you unlocked the lock, the doors would come open.

If these door handles are to be an ongoing issue, would it be easier to modify it like that

2. Being a XF Ghia, the car came with electric windows. One of these does not work. How do i go about getting a new motor for the electric windows?

3. Also, the top of the dash is cracked after many years of sitting in the sun. Is it easy to replace this?

4. to get it up to roadworthy, the drivers seatbelt needs to be replaced. can i legally do this myself, and is it easy enough to do.

5. Finally, it is a black car. it had those two little red strips running the length of both sides. i managed to get them off, but they left glue on the panels. What can i use to get the glue of the panels.

thanks
happy falconing dom and welcome.
door handles don't break if you have the doors adjusted correctly, the ones on my XE ute have been on there for 3 years and it gets driven daily. so either learn how to adjust them(not easy for a beginner probably take a few hours for you) or take to panel beater and have a heart attack

electric windows in my ESP i had would pack up every 6 months if not used(always used secondhand may have contributed) if they have never been replaced the mechanism is rivited and you need to drill out four LARGE rivets and replace with bolts afterwards, motor comes off mechanism easy enough after you MANOUVER it from the door

dash: get a dash mat unless you are planning a full on resto dash can be tricky for beginner especially in ghia

seat belts arn't hard to change with a second hand one(who's gunna know if you changed it)

the strip glue is good stuff,i think it should be left over double side tape? if so you can try rubbing it off with your thumb and a fair bit of effort i've only taken one off and stuck it on replaced panel. if it was stuck on by someone like me: with silastic.... GOOD LUCK

try a search individually you may get a more detaild response but a service manual will be handy in most of these questions in a round about way.
otherwise you could post a new thread for each in their relavent section
see how ya go
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 03:41   #3 (permalink)

re power windows. we had a fairmont. there is a plastic gear cog inside the motor which over the years falls apart and skips on the cog teeth. $10 will get you a new cog from rare spares (in adelaide anyway). Once you get the motor out as described above message. Pull it apart (easy) and you will see what i mean, probably have its guts full of plastic bits.
bwragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 04:30   #4 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwragg
re power windows. we had a fairmont. there is a plastic gear cog inside the motor which over the years falls apart and skips on the cog teeth. $10 will get you a new cog from rare spares (in adelaide anyway). Once you get the motor out as described above message. Pull it apart (easy) and you will see what i mean, probably have its guts full of plastic bits.
thats if you can still hear the motor running but not driving inything, i filled it up with fibre glass bog lasted 3 years before i sold car, could be still working????
3 plastic rollers from memory, they dissintegrate
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 17:03   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deankdx
thats if you can still hear the motor running but not driving inything, i filled it up with fibre glass bog lasted 3 years before i sold car, could be still working????
3 plastic rollers from memory, they dissintegrate
Yes, i can hear the motor still running in the doors, so i will try that out.

thanks for the help guys
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 17:31   #6 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
I've used wax and grease remover with great success. Also have polished the glue off as well, but the wax and grease remover was easier.
Old 12-17-2004, 20:11   #7 (permalink)

[QUOTE=deankdx]happy falconing dom and welcome.
door handles don't break if you have the doors adjusted correctly, the ones on my XE ute have been on there for 3 years and it gets driven daily. so either learn how to adjust them(not easy for a beginner probably take a few hours for you) or take to panel beater and have a heart attack

Exactly right
The door handles are the weakest link, and always break due to other worn components. Best thing to do is replace the door lock, the door latch, and the white bushes in the door hinges, as well as a new handle. I did this to my xf and the drivers door is still working fine after about 4 years of using it as a delivery van - getting in and out of it about 100 times a day is not uncommon.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons