Originally Posted by dom_105
ok, im new to this forum so be kind.
I brought a 1985 XF Fairmont Ghia in September 03 and i havnt touched it since then. There are some issues however that i hope somebdy here can give me some advice on.
1. The door handles. like any other XD-XE-XF car, the door handles are a real problem. Two of them do not work. How can they be fixed.
I remember reading a story in the Street Machine Ford special last year (blue XD on the cover) and they did a story on a 'spearmint green' XE with no door handles, but he modified it so when you unlocked the lock, the doors would come open.
If these door handles are to be an ongoing issue, would it be easier to modify it like that
2. Being a XF Ghia, the car came with electric windows. One of these does not work. How do i go about getting a new motor for the electric windows?
3. Also, the top of the dash is cracked after many years of sitting in the sun. Is it easy to replace this?
4. to get it up to roadworthy, the drivers seatbelt needs to be replaced. can i legally do this myself, and is it easy enough to do.
5. Finally, it is a black car. it had those two little red strips running the length of both sides. i managed to get them off, but they left glue on the panels. What can i use to get the glue of the panels.
happy falconing dom and welcome.
door handles don't break if you have the doors adjusted correctly, the ones on my XE ute have been on there for 3 years and it gets driven daily. so either learn how to adjust them(not easy for a beginner probably take a few hours for you) or take to panel beater and have a heart attack
electric windows in my ESP i had would pack up every 6 months if not used(always used secondhand may have contributed) if they have never been replaced the mechanism is rivited and you need to drill out four LARGE rivets and replace with bolts afterwards, motor comes off mechanism easy enough after you MANOUVER it from the door
dash: get a dash mat unless you are planning a full on resto dash can be tricky for beginner especially in ghia
seat belts arn't hard to change with a second hand one(who's gunna know if you changed it)
the strip glue is good stuff,i think it should be left over double side tape? if so you can try rubbing it off with your thumb and a fair bit of effort i've only taken one off and stuck it on replaced panel. if it was stuck on by someone like me: with silastic.... GOOD LUCK
try a search individually you may get a more detaild response but a service manual will be handy in most of these questions in a round about way.
otherwise you could post a new thread for each in their relavent section
see how ya go