XF v8 conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 13:57   #1 (permalink)

confused XF v8 conversion

Hi Guys,

I know it's probably a repeated topic, however I can't get the Search Engine to help me search the forums; no matter what I type in, it returns "Sorry, I can't find what you're looking for."

I've currently got an XG panel van on gas, but it's real tired and run down. My wife wants a new Lancer, so by default I've got the financial go-ahead to invest some more money into a daily driver.

After careful consideration, I've decided the XG was not the right way to go because what I really want is a v8 panel van. Don't get me wrong; the XG is OK, but I also own a 351 XB coupe, and compared to that, it's the overtaking power the XG lacks, especially pulling a load.

XF panel vans are easy to find so I'm considering the option of setting one of them up with a v8 - perhaps using an old XD v8 as a donor car for the wiring loom, etc.

The questions I have are quite simple, but worth finding out before spending coin.

I understand there's only about 1/2 an inch clearance on the firewall of an XF with a v8 in it, but that's fixable by cutting out that section of firewall and replacing it with a flat sheet (I'd prefer not to simply bash the firewall with a hammer). I know I also need to put in a different heater core and I'd like to run Air Conditioning as well.

I welcome any comments and sugestions you guys have, or an experiecnes you may have had doing this in the past. Also can you suggest any good Engineers in the Moorabbin (VIC) area who I could talk to? (I assume as this is not a standard engine option I'll need to get a cert for brakes and suspension upgrades, which I intend to do anyhow to lower the stance and RRS brakes for stopping with a load).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
okteiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2008, 02:34   #2 (permalink)
njp

Re: XF v8 conversion

I'm putting a cleveland into a XF at the moment. Cutting out the firewall and changing the heater box is a big job (trying to get a different heater box to work with the XF dash controls won't be easy).

I'd just leave the XF firewall, and the only thing you will have to change is the heater core inside the heater box, as the outlets will interfere with the heads.

Two ways to do this, first is to turn the heater core upside down and get the pipes modified slightly, or you can use the A/C core as the heater core (don't know how well it works, but i've seen it done).
njp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 21:10   #3 (permalink)
Ducati Monster

Re: XF v8 conversion

Hi, i'd look around for an xd/xe panel van as they were set up to take a cleveland. they may be a bit harder to find, but depending on which state you are in it will be a whole lot esier to get rego'd, all legal with v8. maybe a windsor into the xf is a better option for room. you'll most likely have to go straight gas to pass emissions etc. with either engine into an xf.

thats about all i can think of at the moment. but thought the info may be of help.

regards drew.
JG41XYGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons