XG Panel Van/Drop Down Tailgate - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2004, 02:00   #1 (permalink)

Tongue XG Panel Van/Drop Down Tailgate

Hi there,

I have a 4/93 XG Panel Van, with standard barn doors, which I want to exchange for the ol' style drop down tailgate.

Has anyone with a panel van done this? And, if so, could you let me in on how and where to get my hands on one of these tailgates.

If anyone has done something similar, let me know too, all comments and suggestions are very welcome!!!

Cheers,

Ryan...
xgpanelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2004, 18:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: XG Panel Van/Drop Down Tailgate

Just a follow-up to my query....

Could you please help me with details of which panel vans ie. xa - xf, possibly came standard with this option?

Cheers...
xgpanelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 21:59   #3 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

A mate has an XD pano with the tailgate rather than doors. The lower tailgate is a ute one. I think you could still get this option with the XF, but I couldn't tell you when it was dropped.

Not having studied the door opening of panel vans very much (damn, knew there was something missing in my life!) have a look to see if there is an obvious mounting place for the hinges on the roof to hang the upper tailgate. I don't think Ford changed much panelwork in the back of the panelvans, so if it is there presumably all you'd need to do is get suitable tailgate panels to swap over and do a bit of work on the mounting points.

Are you able to have a look at a van with the tailgate to compare with yours?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 04:12   #4 (permalink)
It finally arrived May'03

From my experience with 93 XG Longreach, the last model to have the drop down tailgate and lift up top window section was the XE panel van. The tailgate is easy to find as any ute tailgate from XD to XG will fit. The problem will be sourcing the top section as the car you need one from is now 20years old. The mounting points should be there as the stampings didn't change much. Just remember you are gonna have a whole lot of holes to fill when you take off the barn doors. It's sounds like a great conversion to do, just finding the parts will be fun. ( PS, you might be lucky and get the panel from ford still??? Who knows) Good luck with it!
MercSilvXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 05:25   #5 (permalink)

i've seen early xf's with drop down tailgates, but they're rare...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons