XG Ute - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2002, 15:31   #1 (permalink)
Willo

XG Ute

Hey Guys
I realise this topic is WAY off EA's, but I remember recently someone mentioned they had an XG ute, with the 4ltr MPFI motor. I am buying one very soon, but first I want to know any problems with these utes. It will be a project car for me, so any mods would be good to find out about too.
Cheers
Willo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2002, 20:14   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I don't know of any problems with them - the 4.0 engine is tough and reliable, and the XF body shape tried and tested.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 07:00   #3 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Willo,

Sorry that I have taken so long to reply (didn't have my password at home, only work)

I have an XG Ute. BUILT FORD TOUGH!

As ilsautomotive has said any major problems in the structure should have been well sorted by XG. Do note however that the front suspension is the earlier (spring-on-upper-arm) design that had been on Falcons for eons and is not as advanced as that found on EA-later models. Steering is also by steering-box rather than rack & pinion. Mine is also fitted with wider wheels/tyres (225/60/15 on 15x7" alloys) so wheel alignments needs frequent attention and the odd squeak/groan is heard. Just had to replace all balljoints, bushes, spring pivots etc. That said it is no worse than any other pre-EA Falcon.

Mine has just split it's heater core which is going to be a bitch to replace (full dash removal) but this could happen to any car. The smartlock and the air-cond pipes has discouraged me from attempting this so far.

Like the EB (see not so off-topic) the XG has the MPFI 4.0l six and 4-speed auto (or 5-speed). Nothing out of the ordinary experienced here - you will have read about the strength/weaknesses of this combo on the board.

I am very happy with mine. Though if you can afford the extra and don't mind the EF/L style grafted-on front and you get an XH you will benefit from the later front suspension/steering as well as an updated interior.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:02   #4 (permalink)
Unregistered

Re: XG Ute

i own an xg only problems i v had. replace both sill panels cause of rust, snapped door panel from the door hinge psg side, whining gearbox second one gone through, crack in radiator.
but i still dont seem to want to get rid of it go figure
Old 04-05-2006, 04:51   #5 (permalink)
BA Barracus

Ahh, lament, the first ute i bought new was a XG longreach GLI 1Tonne(july 95), (Mauritius blue), and i optioned the 15x8 5 spoke tickford mags, tub liner, 5speed manual, and rust protection(which is a must for that model).
It never gave me a ounce of problems, those 4.0L were very reliable and economical(better than the current six). I traded it in 2000, it had only travelled 55000km and stillwell ford sold it the next day to a tradie,(i nearly cried, cos i knew he would destroy it).
The thing to remember is this model was essentially a XF and if you know what goes wrong on XF's(ie door hinges, rust, suspension, bumper misalignment, ball joints and idler arm) then you know what your dealing with and all is good.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:42   #6 (permalink)

post retracted...no wars please....i am a pacifist with a gun

Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 18:30   #7 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Maybe the Unregistered person has a 14kbps modem and logged on to reply in 2002?
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:41   #8 (permalink)
BA Barracus

I dont take much notice of post dates etc, and others who dig, if you guys want a flame war, bring it on
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons