XR Steering Wheel on Stock - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2005, 15:56   #1 (permalink)

confused XR Steering Wheel on Stock

Hey guys, thought this would be the place to ask. Would it be possible to remove the airbag/buttons unit from a stock BA sedan steering wheel and use the unit with a wheel from a BA XR8. Im not sure how interchangeable they are but I would like leather to make my lil xt falcon not quite as plastic. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
emark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2005, 03:18   #2 (permalink)
I love my FORD!

Re: XR Steering Wheel on Stock

it's not a problem mate. what you need is a torx screw (like an allen key with the center cut out) and you can remove the centre from the steering wheel, undoing the screws in the back.

you'll also need to unplug the airbag and and wiring for the other controls. (just remember where it all came from). they are fully interchangable with the xr steering wheel.

you'll need a large allen key to undo the steering wheel bolt.

and at tip is to half undo the nut and then yank on the wheel to jump it from the tapered spindle it's on. leave the nut on so that when it comes off you don't hit yourself in the face with it. lol.

the whole thing should take about 20mins. and a trip to bursons if you don't have the right tools. hehe.

i've done this mod, and i'll tell you what the leather is soooooooo much nicer!! you won't regret it. :)
2003 BA FUTURA. Harvest Green, Lowered with Kings springs and Koni shocks, 18" GT-P mag wheels, XR front bar headlights and grill, XR rear spoiler, Fairmont Bootlid trim, XR6T snorkle, Typhoon second CAI, K&N filter, Pacemaker extractors with Herrod cat back, 3.73 LSD & CAPA FLASH with custom tune. ALSO 12" dual voice coil kicker, JL 5x7's and 1800W of amps!
dawal5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:03   #3 (permalink)

Sweet man, thanks for the advice just what i needed to know Im sure a nice steering wheel will make it feel like a whole new car. Well its a start anyway,will let u know how things come along. I think my mods will be a slow process, maybe some new rims next then suspension hmm brakes, engine,exterior aargh what am i getting myself into Btw hope your beast is back up and running and all holding together, best place for it is on the road!
Old 07-15-2005, 09:52   #4 (permalink)
I love my FORD!

bloody oath mate. back on the black top and going strong! the only place for it. good luck with the wheel.
2003 BA FUTURA. Harvest Green, Lowered with Kings springs and Koni shocks, 18" GT-P mag wheels, XR front bar headlights and grill, XR rear spoiler, Fairmont Bootlid trim, XR6T snorkle, Typhoon second CAI, K&N filter, Pacemaker extractors with Herrod cat back, 3.73 LSD & CAPA FLASH with custom tune. ALSO 12" dual voice coil kicker, JL 5x7's and 1800W of amps!
Old 07-15-2005, 20:23   #5 (permalink)

Gonna go down the auto shop and get some torx keys today. I heard you have to unhook the battery and let it sit a while so theres no stored current or the airbag can go poof. Is this what you did dawal? I havent got the wheel yet but should have it in a week or so hopefully. Thanks for the tip leaving the nut on knowing me i would have busted my nose or something stupid Are u a mechanic by trade? Out of interest how much do you think you have spent modding so far? Dont know if i would spend as much as you, might have to get a second job to pay for some of this stuff lol
Old 07-18-2005, 00:55   #6 (permalink)
BA futura pilot

hey dewal, my planned list of mods is very similar to yours (i'll only go 17" mags, smoking 18s is a bit expensive)
when you put on ur XR front were did u put the fog lights button? my futura doesnt have the fog lights and traction control buttons in there little surrounds.

Ahh, im gonna have no money now if got a car, but it'll be worth it.
jarridtheruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:20   #7 (permalink)

My suggestion, get FORD to fit it. For $38.00 they fitted a FPV wheel to my XR8. For that kind of change I chose to avoid the hassle and a possible airbag inflation!
Old 07-18-2005, 05:04   #8 (permalink)
I love my FORD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emark
Gonna go down the auto shop and get some torx keys today. I heard you have to unhook the battery and let it sit a while so theres no stored current or the airbag can go poof. Is this what you did dawal? I havent got the wheel yet but should have it in a week or so hopefully. Thanks for the tip leaving the nut on knowing me i would have busted my nose or something stupid Are u a mechanic by trade? Out of interest how much do you think you have spent modding so far? Dont know if i would spend as much as you, might have to get a second job to pay for some of this stuff lol
g'day emark,

i did disconnect the battery, sorry i forgot to mention that. and do leave it sit for a while. but if it is only $38 to get someone else to do it when you'd have to buy a torx screw and so on, i'd just do that. saves the hassle and without the risk of airbag inflation. that being said, if the battery is disconnected you'd really have to abuse the airbag to get it to inflate.

btw i'm not a mechanic, just and enthusiast. but i am studying mechanical engineering, so that helps a bit.

mate, i added up the money spent the other week... on performance mods about $5000 and about the same on cosmetic mods. bloody terrifying. i've only had the car since last october. but once you start you just can't stop... you just set your sights on the next thing. i only intened to do the wheels, suspension and exhaust. then the idea of the body kit came along... and so it goes.

also jarridtheruler, i didn't acually put in a button, cos i too didn't have the panel to the left of the steering wheel and the button was something like $70 from ford. so i just wired the foggies so that they came on when the parkers were turned on. i figure that you'll want them whenever the headlights are on anyway.

also your comment about the tyres is so true. good rubber for the 18's is like $1600 where the same tyres for 17's is $1100. bloody heck! pay more for less rubber!! but the 18's look SWEET!

Dawal5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons