XR6 N/A Blower Pics. Anyone? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2004, 20:54   #1 (permalink)
Crazy Kid!

XR6 N/A Blower Pics. Anyone?

I was keen on finding out if anyone had supercharged a N/A XR6 and would happen to have a few photos of it installed. I know there's a heap of room to slide one in, I just want to know how much room it takes up.
So if anyone would have pics of it, that would be really great.
143.2 rwKw and 448.9 Nm!
Bad thing about it... its me Old Man's car and he won't let me drive it!
Green Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2004, 02:25   #2 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Re: XR6 N/A Blower Pics. Anyone?

I'm guessing you are talking about BA XR6? I don't think anyone would bother supercharging an XR6 for the fact that it would cost more than to just buy a fully warranted factory Turbo setup. I know I would rather a Turbo anyway.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 21:05   #3 (permalink)
Just hear the Exhaust!

And why not?!?!?!?!?!

I still want to supercharge the BA XR6 with a Vortech kit once warranty expires and the car's paid off. Just to be different. I'm more of a fan of superchargers anyway. There are disadvantages and advantages in both setups, personal opinion which I'm not about to go into!!!.

Hey??? I wanted the T!!! Couldn't afford it at the time. Besides, the extra cost of an additional $10,000 on road just for a hair dryer and traction control. Then there's the insurance on an XR6T, OUCH!!! A supercharger kit would cost $6,000 to $7,000. More expensive is it? Sure it's covered under warranty but put more than a cat back muffler and what have you done, VOID!

$2,800 worth of basic mods and our N/A is one hell of a weapon. Sure the T will slaughter the N/A once boost starts to carry it away but I will leave them standing and get one hell of a head start.
Old 03-12-2004, 21:36   #4 (permalink)
a vile merchant

From the ford website for bare bones XR6 vs XR6-T there's only $6,500 difference. Also I guarantee that insurance for a stock XR6-T would be better than an aftermarket abomination XR6 supercharged, that's if you can get insurance at all. I think the XR6T would be a far better package, the engine transmission and ECU all being properly setup for it and as you said, covered by warranty.

I just don't see the point of buying the lowest powered variant of a model and then deciding you want a fast car, but, it is your choice and it would certainly be different! Hopefully you remembered to option the LSD from factory for $360 as it will be more expensive to do that later too, a single spinning supercharged XR6 would be a bit ghey

"Five litres of Ford's finest cast iron!"

Last edited by PigDog; 03-12-2004 at 21:40.
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 22:39   #5 (permalink)
BOFH

Well, I think it would be an interesting setup, lets face it, the BA XR6 T is pretty thick on the ground now whereas an XR6 SC would be a rareity.

I do have to agree with Pigdog about the LSD though, hope you have it otherwise driving in the wet will be a "spinning" experiance!

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 18:25   #6 (permalink)
Just hear the Exhaust!

Oh it came with LSD, I wouldn't drive one without it as an option. I insisted it was installed as a freebie due to the stuff around with the 1st car, which was not what we asked for. Rear power windows and XR scuff plates were thrown in as well.

ARRRGGGHHHHH....WHY DO I BOTHER TRYING TO EXPLAIN? It's alright for you other people that have money.

$367.00 compared to $420.00 a fortnight repayments + Insurance. Slight difference per fortnight isn't it! Especially when you are on a tight budget. I wanted the T but we would be that tight on money, it would have left us with no room for any creature comforts, well ANYTHING!!! It just couldn't be done. Yes it's a better option as the thing is covered by warranty but if I sell the N/A, too much money's wasted. If I get a second hand T, I'd still have to cover the baloon payment so it would be one that has had the ^&$* blown out of it. It's not worth it. I'm not proud of it. In my situation, supercharging looks like a good way to go in a couple of years. Yes I could turbo it as well but what's the point? An N/A trying to be a TURBO but will never be?

If I could have this circumstance all over again. I would have placed a blindfold over my head so I would have never seen the AU III VCT. In a few years time, I'll be in a better position to play with the BA, who knows, who cares, sorry I brought it up!

Last edited by NA Thunder; 03-13-2004 at 18:29.
NA Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 19:57   #7 (permalink)
BOFH

Mate, no need to explain to me, I agree with you. As for explaining to others, screw em, your car, your money, your choice.
I want to turbo my AU XR6 VCT and get told all the time "Just buy a BA XR6T!!" Well, I dont want a BA XR6T, I want a turbo charged AU XR6 VCT.

Just do it when you can, and enjoy what will be a very rare beast.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 20:25   #8 (permalink)
a vile merchant

Hey I totally agree that you should do whatever you want and at the end of the day it all comes down to your own personal preference. I guess my main point was I don't think the end result would be as good as an XR6-T and it certainly wouldn't be as good a value for money. I know exactly what you're goiing thru when it comes to trying to balance car payments and mods aswell as everything else. It all gets a bit too much sometimes!

"Five litres of Ford's finest cast iron!"
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 00:18   #9 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

PigDog has the exact same point I was trying to make. That an XR6T would be cheaper in the long run than an XR6 Supercharged.

NA Thunder: Since I am aware of your situation now, I do understand why you purchased the XR6 N/A, but if it were me I would have waited a little longer then got an XR6T.

Your car does sound good though and has responded very wel to those mods. Any idea what time you'd get over the quarter?
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 00:47   #10 (permalink)

To do every thing that i wanted to do to my BA XR6 was going to cost around $26500 stage 2 super gharger (capa), cast iron heads, bigger valves, bouble springs, intercooler, pistons, torque converter, etc. there is a lot more to do then slapping it on IF u want to do it properly, and that's not inclueding upgraded brakes--u do have to stop it !!!

My Car
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons