XR6 NA Test Drive - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2004, 20:16   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up XR6 NA Test Drive

I took an XR6 NA auto for a test drive this morning at Knox Ford as a part of the freebie magazine subscription promotion. I chose this car because it’s affordable and what I would buy when the time comes. It’s also the closest match to compare with my current ride.

After the formalities were done the guy went out the back to get a car. He returned with a Lightning Strike XR in completely standard trim, no options. This thing must have not long come off the truck from the factory, still had transport stickers and 4km on the clock!! It had 22km by the time I finished.

The route was into Ferntree Gully, back out towards Lysterfield, to Kellets Rd, Wellington Rd and back to FTG along Glenfern Rd. A great test drive route as you have undulating winding roads with road surfaces that aren’t spot on. Perfect test of roadholding and handling.

The car didn’t feel much quicker than my AU but it felt a damn sight nicer. Much better seats and seating position, I really like the support around the back of the shoulders. The steering felt great and this car just felt so well balanced. It seemed like only a missile strike could knock it off the road. There was very little wind and tyre noise. Noise from road surface ripples, potholes and cats eyes lane dividers was unobtrusive. My AU really clunks and thumps in this situation. This car was just so nimble and poised its just streets ahead of the AU in terms of refinement. The only negative in all this was getting back into the AU afterwards. Actually, the AU aint that bad, it’s still a decent ride in its own right but the BA is a much better package.

Anyway, this has reinforced my decision that this is the car for me in the Ford line-up. If I had the bucks there and then I’d have signed up for that particular car. I’m still at least 6 months away from being able to do anything. Better start saving.

Would love to hear about ownership experiences of other XR6 NA owners, particularly those with auto transmissions.

Cheers………..
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2004, 00:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: XR6 NA Test Drive

If u have the money to mod it (BA XR6 NA ) go the BA XR8 stock, I'v put in about $3500 of mods and still not much poke compaired to the BA XR8. Put your self in a bit deeper and go for the 8, I would have at the time, but who am i to talk in tradeing the moded BA XR6 for a FPV GT !

My Car
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 00:29   #3 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Or even the XR6 Turbo. You want BFYB, you get that. But by the sound of Bearman he doesn't want mods, and will only just be able to afford the NA XR6 when the time comes. Straight line speed doesn't appeal to all.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:13   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Or even the XR6 Turbo. You want BFYB, you get that. But by the sound of Bearman he doesn't want mods, and will only just be able to afford the NA XR6 when the time comes. Straight line speed doesn't appeal to all.
Exactly right. That's about all my budget will run to, an XR6 NA with a couple of options like LSD, electric windows all round, towbar and maybe leather. Depends on the deal I can get at the time. Not interested in modding it.

Also, I do around 25,000 to 30,000km per year so running costs is an issue. XR6T needs PULP and although you can get away with ULP with the XR8 it'll use more juice. This is on top of finding an extra 6-10K to buy these cars.

Simple as that, just straight out economics.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:11   #5 (permalink)

Bearman,

The XR6T can run on either ULP or PULP. l have tried both and noticed no difference.

If you dont mind going secondhand there are plenty of 6-12 month old T's getting around for about the price of a N/A. May be worth consdiering if you are not set on buying brand new.
mondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 18:42   #6 (permalink)
Just hear the Exhaust!

Heya Mondie,

It's Ed....etc...

Anyway, Bearman.

Go for a second hand XR6T. Don't follow in my footsteps and make it the most regrettable decision you will ever make. You could easily get a good, second hand T for the same price of a new N/A. I just explained my situation in another post and I'm now quenching the flames coming out from the sides of my head so I'll spare you the details. Because of a financial mistake going into debt for an AU III VCT, it cost me the opportunity to own an XR6T and I'm stewing about it for a long time to come by the looks of it.

Don't make the same mistake.

In saying that. After $2,800 worth of mods, (see sig), my N/A is quite a weapon. It will launch well in front of a T but boost will win the battle as always. It's great but I want more.
Old 03-13-2004, 23:56   #7 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

Why get a XR6NA?
besides the headlights whats the advantage over a XT sports-pack?
XT with rear wing, front airdam, side and rear skirts, sports suspension and 17" alloys? Mine looks great. theres not too many about and it really turns heads.

same engine and drivetrain as N/A so performace would be on par.

with the savings i got tint glass, rear power windows, cruise, premium sound and a few goodies. I will put better air intake and exhaust on it down the track. maybe a hot chip. would still be cheaper then NA.

cheaper to insure too.
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:30   #8 (permalink)

cool Re: XR6 NA Test Drive

Bearman

Your post reminds me of my first test drive. I can still remember every corner, every gear change, every.......thing!

I had to get one!!!!!!!!

Nine months later and I still can't get the smile off my face everytime I open the garage door and go for a spin........Heck, I even enjoy washing the bugs off the front!

Start saving those pennies

xrwillo
xrwillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 04:46   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Mondie and NA Thunder - I've been searching carsales and what you're both saying is a good option. I don't absolutely have to have brand spankin' new but there is something about it. A low Km "T"?? Hmmm...... got me thinking.

Jemmex - The XT Sports is a good value unit and those rims look great. I would still prefer an NA. Apart from the headlights you get better seats, blue light dash, better colour choice, better resale and stiffer tune suspension. The XT sports suspension is the same as the Ghia, set somewhere between the standard XT and the XR. I just love the almost go kart like handling of my AU and would like the same again in my next car.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:54   #10 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Bearman - I know what you're saying mate there's nothing like a new car. But still The XR6T is a better option. In years to come you will sell it for alot more than an NA XR6 that's a year newer. In my firm Beleive you will get much more enjoyment out of the Turbo aswell. As much as straight line performance might not be your thing, that XR6 whistling on boost is addictive!
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons