Editor on P Plates
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Express Publications, Sydney.
I think I pretty much had the first or second BA XR6 on the forums, mine being a Blueprint N/A Auto.
Well, Iím 10000km in now, so here are a few observations based on my 5 months of ownership that I hope are helpful.
- You will get fed up with every Sik Moit asking you ĎIs that the Turbo?í
- Every bastard in existence has ordered his or her XR in Blueprint.
- Coming from a 4 cylinder (turbo or not), the average fuel consumption will initially horrify you.
- Any mod you want to make to your car will bring out the regular selection of geniuses on here accusing you of being a wanker who loves Ďriceí.
- Everyone who canít afford one themselves will call you a fool for not buying the Turbo.
- Itís a BARGE to park when youíre used to a smaller car
- Farkwit driving a Fully Sik VH Commode in three shades of primer will still laugh at your car just coz itís a Ford.
- The BA is a looks magnet in Blueprint.
- The ride and handling are so good youíll wonder how you ever drove the harsh bumpy 4 you came from.
- No matter what your mates say, theyíll all be green with envy once you take them for a drive.
- The power delivery is so smooth and so quiet itís like riving a luxury car.
- Try cruising Sydney to Melbourne and back at 120km/h with 4 guys, a boot full of luggage, air-con on most of the trip, room to spare and 10.5litre per 100km economy in a VR4.
- New car warranty means you donít need to worry for at least three years about more than normal running costs.
- Buying a Falcon means your insurance premium should have got cheaper in a relative sense. Smartlock & Tibbe door security means insurance companies love Falcon (My Falcon costs only as much as my old Accent cost to insure, even though itís 1 Ĺ times more expensive)
- VY Commodore owners look away in shame.
- The interior environment is the best thing this side of a $100K luxury car. Youíre now driving a car that will redefine the way local manufacturers make cars.
- Youíll look forward to future upgrade choices like XR6T, XR8, GT, GT-P, GT-HO (when they build it, we will come).
- In the unlikely event you have an accident, youíre in a MUCH safer car than VR4.
- You can come on 3FB, Ford Forum and FPV-Tickford Club cruises.
And there are many other things that I could go on with.
In all honesty, I do sometimes wish Iíd got a turbo, but as you mentioned and as you would know, insurance costs for a Turbo in Sydney can be Ďprohibitiveí. I donít miss one enough to justify a $3000+ a year premium (with 60% NCB and over 30).
No car is perfect, the Falcon included, but as a private buyer who changes his car every two years or so (I get bored with them easily), I can finally say Iíve found a car I could see myself still owning in five years.
Itís so good in standard form I have no desire to go out and spend $$$$$ to get it Ďup to standardí, Itís comfortable, fast, smooth, fast, quiet, fast, roomy, fast, good looking, fast, big, fast and did I mention that itís fast?
Iíve found it really is the ultimate cruise machine. Last year, I did just over 15000km in total, yet I love driving the XR so much that Iíve done over 10000kms in only five months since I bought it.
I still canít get the smile off my face when Iím in it (What a clichť Ė I canít get enough of it!). :s6:
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE