XR6T, XR8, or GT - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2004, 01:59   #1 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

XR6T, XR8, or GT

Just reading through some of the threads and I was amazed at how many XR6T's are now doing low/mid 12's with the APS II kit.

Just interested to seek opinions from all the XR8 and GT owners to see how they feel about the "little bro 6" doing so well and if they ever get that.......... "mmmmmm maybe shoulda bought one of them" type evil thought.

As a performance bargain, the XR6T (even with the $7900 fully fitted APSII mods) is so appealing and judging from many of the threads, so much fun, considering that they can run these numbers on full street trim.

Now I'm a V8 redneck from way back, but Ford is spoiling us so bad with the 6T that it is leading me to distraction.

Is the XR8 still worth buying ?? Is the GT under fire ??
Is owning the GT badge still worth being blown away by a humble looking 6 ??

I love em all and I reckon it would be such a hard decision to make if you were in the market to purchase any one of them.

What do the owners and potential buyers reckon ??????????????????????????
ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2004, 02:41   #2 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Re: XR6T, XR8, or GT

We'll see how those boosted up T's are going in 2 years time and then it will be easier to give an opinion. Engines and drivelines on some will be stuffed, especially the manuals.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 02:45   #3 (permalink)
BOSS 260

I reckon that if a person wants a turbo car,some thing easy to mod and get quick times out of, then get the xr6t. but if your a v8 person like myself, go the xr8 or GT.
I used to have a turbo car(although it was only a 4 cylinder), modded it etc, and lost interest in the turbo mods, like boost,BOV, etc.I finally sold it up and got what i always wanted, the V8.
When my mates see my ute, some say ohh the xr6t is quicker than the xr8, why didnt you get that, and i tell them, i wouldve kept the tx3 if i wanted a turbo car, but i wanted something for cruising,nice v8 note,and can do my work for me during the week, and maybe a little fun at eastern creek.
I even tell whoever asks me that i know the xr6t will probly beat the xr8, i dont deny it, but the main thing i wanted was the grunt,and an engine that will last me a fair while without having to recondition turbo,etc.
I had the decision and couldnt go past the bulge and exhaust note.
That's my thoughts neway! :D

Tony.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:47   #4 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

You may be right, but judging from the drags turnout, there'll be a heap of tired and clapped out XR8's and GT's in 2 years time as well.

As an XR8 owner, would you ever consider going the 6T ???????????
Old 08-01-2004, 02:57   #5 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GT
I reckon that if a person wants a turbo car,some thing easy to mod and get quick times out of, then get the xr6t. but if your a v8 person like myself, go the xr8 or GT.
I used to have a turbo car(although it was only a 4 cylinder), modded it etc, and lost interest in the turbo mods, like boost,BOV, etc.I finally sold it up and got what i always wanted, the V8.
When my mates see my ute, some say ohh the xr6t is quicker than the xr8, why didnt you get that, and i tell them, i wouldve kept the tx3 if i wanted a turbo car, but i wanted something for cruising,nice v8 note,and can do my work for me during the week, and maybe a little fun at eastern creek.
I even tell whoever asks me that i know the xr6t will probly beat the xr8, i dont deny it, but the main thing i wanted was the grunt,and an engine that will last me a fair while without having to recondition turbo,etc.
I had the decision and couldnt go past the bulge and exhaust note.
That's my thoughts neway! :D

Tony.

I agree with you, the V8 rumble is irresistible. We are a special breed considering we can stick to our V8 steeds regardless of the Turbo temptation.

But how long do you think you can abstain when there is that 12 second temptation just beckoning at you at the nearest Ford Dealer. ( then straight to APS of course )

I have a sneaking suspicion that FORD may have engineered the situation that way.

Would you consider buying the 6T and trading the 8 at a later date ?????????
Old 08-01-2004, 03:07   #6 (permalink)
rod

greetings all
i dont have a Gt but i do have a Pursuit so i will give you my opinion based on the "UTES"

i dont regret not for 1 minuite buying my Pursuit & am happy to say i am still as happy with it now as i was when i first bought it

as for the XR8's i belive that they have there place as some people are happy with the V8 & wouldnt have anything else, if there was no Pursuit i would have bought an XR8

for the Turbo's there is no doubt that they are quick but how many people just by a car because of the speed you can get from them, i dont belive that the owners of the GT's, Pusuits or XR8 are threated by them as at the end of the day its still a Ford & we all have Blue blood running through our veins

just as the I6 has its place as well

at the end of the day i belive that they all have a practical place in the Ford line up & if they were to drop any of them it would leave a large gap that would most likly be filled with a car from the dark side

just my $0.02c worth

regards
rod
Old 08-01-2004, 03:47   #7 (permalink)
FF Moderator

I love my XR8, but would also consider the XR6T, F6 or GT. I just want to try them all!!
The XR6T represents better value IMO, but I'm a V8 bloke in the end and will most likely prefer to stay with those.

Many have reminded me that the XR6T is faster, but this does not concern me. I'm happy with my XR8's performance, its fast; it’s strong and has never left me embarrassed on the street. I'm not that interested in serious modifications at the moment, but if I was I would most likely turn to the Turbo option. If I however was in it for the longer term, there would only be one…THE GT (or GT-P).

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 04:13   #8 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

There is enough threads on this forum about this subject.

ESP, mate please do a search as these threads will only degenerate into who has the biggest dick.

Guess which one I'd pick?
Old 08-01-2004, 04:21   #9 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

I've only got a lowly XR6 but recently I had the luck to drive a GT for a week and to tell you the truth, it didn't impress me as much as I thought it would. Immediately after driving out of the dealer, it felt much more cumbersome, there is something about the steering in the GT I didn't like, it felt 'sluggish'. Best way to describe it was my XR6 felt like a go kart in both steering and handling my comparison.

When handing it back to the dealer, I discussed it with a few there and they all agreed with me, if I where spedning that amount of money I think the Typhonn would get the nod, and thats not just down to strainghtling performance.

Having said that, the old school V8 sound was music to the ears and I loved that bonnet bulge from the drivers seat. To me, these 2 things combined say 'Muscle Car' which cannot be said of the XR6T.

Just in case you think i'm pro turbo, i've owned 3 V8's, one in a 68 Mustang GT and never owned a turbo of any description.

Reliability wise, I can't see any turbo rebuild etc being a problem, modern turbo technology has pushed that old turbo unreliability well into the background.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 04:38   #10 (permalink)
BLACK PANTHER

buddy you cant go past that deep burble V8 sound
ORSMXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons