XR8 18" TYRES - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2004, 20:47   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

XR8 18" TYRES

hey guys just wondering if anyone has changed tyres yet, and if so what they put on and how have they fared compared to the OE Dunlop 18's. After reading the tyre test am thinking of going the Hankook's or the Falken's. Would be interested to hear if anyone has used these what their opinions are from a street point of view.
My 18's have done about 18 000 and the front ones were scrubbed out on the inside while back ones were wearing even, but are now also fairly worn down. Have put the camber kit into the front which will hopefully stop the scrubbing, when the new tyres go on.
zexr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2004, 22:43   #2 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Re: XR8 18" TYRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTS220
i got the Falkeens on the 17 inch rims and they have worked around really well. Done 20,000 kms so far and expect to atleast get another 15,000 - 20,000.
I put 17" Falkens on the front of my old AU XR8 ute and thought they were a great tyre for the money.
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 23:30   #3 (permalink)
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by zexr8
hey guys just wondering if anyone has changed tyres yet, and if so what they put on and how have they fared compared to the OE Dunlop 18's. After reading the tyre test am thinking of going the Hankook's or the Falken's. Would be interested to hear if anyone has used these what their opinions are from a street point of view.
My 18's have done about 18 000 and the front ones were scrubbed out on the inside while back ones were wearing even, but are now also fairly worn down. Have put the camber kit into the front which will hopefully stop the scrubbing, when the new tyres go on.

I"ve bought Falken ZE-326 for 18" and I reckon they are pretty darn good for the price :)

45,000km service coming up - and i'll be asking for a sizable list of fixes:
* Gearbox (3rd time)
* Steering click (5th time)
* Brake Shudder (2nd time, and has the applied "Fix")
* etc...
ianmcginley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 23:49   #4 (permalink)
More horsepower required

I have 18" Sumitomos on mine . Better wearing than the Dunlops , and just as much grip , although I have had a few moments in the wet that made me wonder.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:27   #5 (permalink)

I find the 18" Dunlop 9000's very noisy. Anyone try a different brand which is quiet?
Old 03-09-2004, 01:41   #6 (permalink)
Impatience is a virtue

I know your asking about 18" tyres, but I thought I'd put my experience into the muddle. I bought my XR with 18's and was appalled by the tyre roar! Decided to get a set of 19" anyway and had a dilema about what tyres to use. Tried the Piri's, Dunlops, Micho's and ended up with the Hani's... Yep, a brand that I swore Id never buy... But after 2500km's I can say great grip, bugger all road noise, and a relative bargin!

Cheers
Old 03-09-2004, 01:59   #7 (permalink)
wasting money on cars

no complaints here love my 18s if 19s were a option i would not think twice to buy em
dicast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 02:31   #8 (permalink)
FF Moderator

I find the factory 18" very quiet, but I have come from a 4 x 4. Based on past experience I'm normally not a big fan of Dunlop tyres i.e. over priced and track alot.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 02:36   #9 (permalink)
17" is for 4cyc

I thought when I had the original Dunlops they were great in the dry and wet but pissed off by the tyre wear uneven and noisy past half worn. I w/a my car every 3mths and tyre pressures kept to the lb so it wasn't from lack of maintenace.
Went to 18's first then 19's since and have run the Hankook Ventus, you probably read my response in the tyre test. VERY happy with them.
Just sold the 19's and getting new stuff this week, will get them again but have been advised from good sources the Sumitomo's are damn good as well. Falkan 326 also good reports.
Old 03-09-2004, 02:44   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Orange
I find the 18" Dunlop 9000's very noisy. Anyone try a different brand which is quiet?
Try Falken Azenis ST-115. I'm using them on an AU1 XR6 on 17" rims. They're pretty quiet but also a good performance tyre. I've done nearly 30,000km on them and they'll be good for at least another 20,000km as long as I keep the front end aligned. I'll take some photos of them and post a detailed report on them soon.

They're a bit pricey at around $270-$300 each (for 17's) but this price compares with premium Bridgestones, Dunlops etc. If I was to spend that sort of money again I'd get another set of these Falkens.

I've had a really good history with Falkens, I've had 3 sets in the past on a variety of cars and I've been really happy with them all.

If I was to go for anything different it'd be price driven and in that case I'd be looking at Kumho or Hankook.

Cheers..........
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons