XR8 BA Manual FUEL SUCKS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2004, 05:58   #1 (permalink)

Question XR8 BA Manual FUEL SUCKS

Hi Guys and Gals. I own an XR8 BA Manual 5 Speed. Goes great, handles well. and is quite capable of sub 5's 0 - 100ks But boy am I dissapointed with the fuel economy. So far the best I can get out of a tank is 398ks. Admittedley I owned a VX com V6 up until now and it gave me 500 on average and 600+ on a trip. Twice gave me from Newcastle to Tweed heads on single tank with a shade under a 1/4 left. Tell me the falcon can get get better. The power is one thing but if this is the economy I think I will go for the blown V6 com.
bigdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2004, 06:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: XR8 BA Manual FUEL SUCKS

Mate to get almost 400km out of a tank would be great, on a good run i get 320 from a 65ltr tank, 4 speed auto driven in sports mode

My Car
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:17   #3 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

BAs, Ford and most cars come out of the factory running very rich. This is a warranty friendly thing as if they are too lean, they burn... and also cars are made for less of the performance aspect than the daily driver aspect. So they tend to be a bit conservative and its always safer to run richer than leaner within reason.

Also, each engine is not individually tuned on the line - and each engine IS different. So some engines will run leaner than others....

I found that with mine. My AFRs were around 11 when it was first dynod. Which was about as bad as they had seen. I got a Unichip and it went up to around 12. Since I had the exhaust mods the fuel efficiency has improved again.

I would recommend getting it dynod to see where its at, if you havent already. And then think about some sort of chip to help with that. Either that or the Boss Edit, which I assume would also fix that problem.....

It would get better over time too, as you run it in....
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:18   #4 (permalink)

JESUS I think I will get a towbar fitted so I can tow a fuel tank behind me. Thats bloody redicules. You would think with all this computer advancement you could get better economy. Mine only has 4000 ks on it and it hasnt been for a good run yet. Newcastle to Sydney is the longest its had. Yes I do run PULP, I think I will cahse a new exhaust and see what happens. Thanks Guys.
bigdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:22   #5 (permalink)
Movin!

I average around 450 to a tank, 5spd manual, mixture of city and freeway driving, most of the time hard

Have gotten over 700km+ a few times from melbourne to canberra, i'm quite happy with the fuel consumption of it, better than my last V6 Rodeo. Perhaps it's the mods that I have, they lean out the fuel, cause a cleaner burn and use less petrol, but I've also heard that some cars use a lot more fuel than others from the factory too. A case of getting it flashed at the dealers
Old 11-05-2004, 12:42   #6 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

roll Re: XR8 BA Manual FUEL SUCKS

[QUOTE=bigdodge]Hi Guys and Gals. I own an XR8 BA Manual 5 Speed. Goes great, handles well. and is quite capable of sub 5's 0 - 100ks

Sub 5 sec 0 to 100 in a XR8 I would love to see that!!!!!
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:58   #7 (permalink)
BA XR8 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodderz
I average around 450 to a tank, 5spd manual, mixture of city and freeway driving, most of the time hard

Have gotten over 700km+ a few times from melbourne to canberra, i'm quite happy with the fuel consumption of it, better than my last V6 Rodeo. Perhaps it's the mods that I have, they lean out the fuel, cause a cleaner burn and use less petrol, but I've also heard that some cars use a lot more fuel than others from the factory too. A case of getting it flashed at the dealers
We have a larger tank in the ute Rodderz, we have 80 litres as opposed to 68 litres in the sedans. The bigger tank in my ute makes me feel better when I see that I am getting over 450 kms to a tank... I am averaging about 15l/100kms which would work out to 533 kms per tank.
Old 11-05-2004, 13:37   #8 (permalink)

Biggest change to the fuel economy of my car was noticed after having Unichip fitted. These cars are definately set up to rich from the factory. T he chip made a huge difference both to fuel economy & bottom-mid range power, mind you a lot has to do with the bloke fitting & tuning the chip too. I also altered the final drive ratio at the same time & this is counter-productive to good fuel economy yet the reduction in fuel consumption was still remarkable. Try the chip, it will pay for it self in no time.
Old 11-05-2004, 16:05   #9 (permalink)

The GT's get around 400 klm to the tank, city driving,but you have to remember that they are a big beast and a heavy car with that big Boss engine underneath it.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 23:24   #10 (permalink)
BLUEPRINT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdodge
JESUS I think I will get a towbar fitted so I can tow a fuel tank behind me. Thats bloody redicules. You would think with all this computer advancement you could get better economy. Mine only has 4000 ks on it and it hasnt been for a good run yet. Newcastle to Sydney is the longest its had. Yes I do run PULP, I think I will cahse a new exhaust and see what happens. Thanks Guys.
I think with all the computer advancement you are getting bloody good fuel economy, can you image how much fuel a 400hp pushrod, carburatored v8 would use? besides, 400km out of 65 litres is like 16litres/100km. thats less than average for the boss. Can you imagine the boss290, that stupid 5.7ls1 motor averages between 15 - 22litres/ 100km(+5litres of oil per 100km).
You should have done some research before you bought it, plenty of boss owners out there. Besides, what are you comparing it to? a v6 dunnydore? you said you got 500km from that 150kw thing, and now your getting 400km from a 260kw v8, giveme the 8 any day.
xr6 ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons