Ford Forums banner

XR8 engine problems and more

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  julesxr8 
G
#1 ·
Hi
Has anybody else with an xr8 had an oil leak. My xr8 come out of the factory with a major oil which was discovered at the 3000kms service we are now on 4000kms and still have an oil leak even though it has been back 4 times and the last time (17/9/03) it was there for 4 days including over the weekend. So far they have replaced the sump, head gasket, brackets etc and it went back today because it is still leaking. We also have a vibration problem which according to them they have fixed, I don't think so! There was also paint missing from the front spoiler and a broken fuse box cover. I also experience a whine when it starts first thing in the morning. I have been in contact with the customer relationship centre in Vic but are getting no where apart from it will be fixed and be better than new. I am getting a little bit sick of hearing this and would like some answer as to how it come out of the factory with this problem. Perhaps they would like to pay for a new car that is lemon to see how they feel!

#4 ·
My local Ford dealer has replaced 2 BA engines. 1 GT and 1 XR8. The GT engine was an early release and had the piston problem, not hassles. The XR8 on the other had was a real mess. The guy who looks after the FPV vehicles was asked to look into the XR8 problem, leaking oil, he took it for a drive continually checking the oil pressure and he said at one point under heaps of stick the pressure went so high, he dropped the accelerator in shock, then nothing from the pressure sensor, he pulled over to see what had happened and 'welsh plug go bang'. What a mess, the engine has been replaced and all the oil cleaned up, get your guys to make sure nothing is wrong in that area, this guy had to wait a week for a new engine and engine bay clean

G
#5 ·
vibration poblem

The vibration problem with my xr8 is on accelartion which is felt in the floor, seat and steering wheel however once you have been sitting on that speed for a short time it seems to stop until you adjust speed again either up or down. They have re-balanced the wheels but since I only had my car back for a day this week I didn't get a chance to get it out on the open road however there did feel as though something was still there when sitting on the speed limit and going up a touch.

#6 · (Edited)
I have had no engine leak problems indeed no real problems at all apart from a constant jiggling vibration through the seat, footwell and the steering column. These are the optional 18's. First noticed it at 800km. Intentity seems to vary with different road conditions but the vibration is always there. Not happy Jan as its difficult to enjoy all the other positive aspects of the car. Thankfully the dealer agrees that it is a problem. The dealer has matched balanced the wheels and tyres which made it a little better but its still there and very annoying. Dealer has tried wheels and tyres from another car which according to the dealer has eliminated the problem and is suggesting that its a problem with the tyres but cannot yet pinpoint what. I would suggest that for a $55,000 plus car all the tyres should be replaced but given that expense the dealer is considering all options which we will be examining this week. Dealer has looked after me to date so am prepared to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt at the moment. Heres hoping for a happy outcome with no stop gap, penny pinching solutions.

#8 ·
DGROMS.com said:
My local Ford dealer has replaced 2 BA engines. 1 GT and 1 XR8. The GT engine was an early release and had the piston problem, not hassles. The XR8 on the other had was a real mess. The guy who looks after the FPV vehicles was asked to look into the XR8 problem, leaking oil, he took it for a drive continually checking the oil pressure and he said at one point under heaps of stick the pressure went so high, he dropped the accelerator in shock, then nothing from the pressure sensor, he pulled over to see what had happened and 'welsh plug go bang'. What a mess, the engine has been replaced and all the oil cleaned up, get your guys to make sure nothing is wrong in that area, this guy had to wait a week for a new engine and engine bay clean

Ummm, if a welsh plug blows it would be leaking coolant, not oil.

#10 ·
Mine has a noise when you select reverse when cold in the morning (auto). It sounds like a high pressure oil squeal coming from the transmission. Mentioned it to Ford they said to leave it with them overnight so they can check it when it's cold but I have been down this path before, you leave it there and they'll say did'nt make a noise, so you bring it home and the next morning it does. All it does is waist your time and money running it back and forth so I will wait and see if anything results from the noise.

G
#11 ·
laminge said:
Personally

I would let the guys at FCS have a days rest!

The poor dealer has purchased the car from Ford, maybe they need to get a Ford Rep out there and experience these issue first hand!

Hi
I agree with you totally it's not the dealers fault for the problems but I have been in touch with ford vic several times and the last time I spoke to them I asked for a ford tech to come and look at it but they said it hadn't got to that stage yet. What stage does it need to get to BLOW UP and then maybe I may get a ford tech to look. So perhaps if you know how to get a better response please let me know.
julesxr8

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.