Xr8 Pinging Badly - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2004, 18:35   #1 (permalink)

Xr8 Pinging Badly

G'day all,
I have an XR8 with 23000 klms on it.It has run faultlessly but last week was pinging badly.I ran some OPTIMAX to cure the problem and it did.However I had been running unleaded with no pinging at all for the previous 15000 klms.
Was it just a bad batch of fuel ? I thought the computer should have backed off the ignition to uit the octane and prevent the pinging.
Haven't heard pinging like that since i had my closed chamber big port Clevo ! :-)
Any ideas anyone ?
srv dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2004, 21:35   #2 (permalink)

Re: Xr8 Pinging Badly

Well knock me over with a feather. My XR8 has done 22,000 and I too have been thinking the very same thing over the last 2/3 weeks as the car has been climbing the big hill home under load. I also last experienced pinging in the old 351 Cleavland in my Mach 1. I haven't been sure whether I have just been dreaming this pinging metallic sound or not - me now thinks not! I have been assuming however that the 260 engine has a knock sensor in these modern times to prevent pinging. Looks like I was wrong.

I have always run the car on unleaded but surely it shouldn't ping.
BeansNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 21:38   #3 (permalink)
Bottle Feed Your Baby

I thought the Boss motors were manditory Premo??? Mabe i am wrong
my Au 5L requires Premo, i thought that these would be the same
Tighe custom grind camshaft, 75mm Throttle body, EGR Spacer, Head pocket work, 11.5 comp, SRP forged Flat tops, Autronic Computer, Pacemakers, twin Mandrel bent 2.5" Exhuast, custom mandrel bent 3" air intake, Tremac 3650, Lowered, 18"s Polished roll bar, intake Manifold, Shortend 4" alloy taillshaft, Leather, Momo wheel and gear nob, Autometer C2 5"shiftlight tacho, air fuel meter. 50-250hp NOS Kit, 4:11 Diff gears, 2 12" subs and sony amp,
NOS 347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:51   #4 (permalink)
What a spooky world!

I have just hit 10,000 km's in my XR-8 and I cant say there has been a problem with pinging(yet). Having owned motorcycles in the past I did notice that it would ping with some fuels and not with others.
I use BP Ultimate in both my car and bike and no problems. When I purchased my bike I was told to avoid Optimax (for the pinging reason). Maybe its related maybe not. Try BP Ultimate (gold handle not yellow at the pump) and see if she still pings at you....worth a try
Ford Falcon XR8 Dec 2003 BA, Silhouette Black, Char/Red Interior, Manual, 23,000kms, One owner, Side Airbags, Premium Sound, Tow Bar, Tinted Windows, Scuff plates, Factory Sunroof, Mud Splats, Floor Matts, Aux 12v Socket, Genuine Nokia 'no holes' Car Kit, Serviced very regularly (1,000kms, 3,000kms, 10,000kms, 15,000kms). Regrettable sale $41,000. David 0422-22-5363 Caroline Springs, Melbourne
image001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 19:22   #5 (permalink)

My undertanding was that premo was not mandatory, however it is strongly advised.
Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 20:51   #6 (permalink)
▲▼I ♥ XR6T's ▲▼

Quote:
Originally Posted by image001
When I purchased my bike I was told to avoid Optimax (for the pinging reason).
I know a guy, Jason, who builts tough engines and won Hp Hero's at Summernats for best small block N/A V8 and his car was in Street Machine, anyhoo, he said the same thing. Dont use Optimax.

I think i've earned my stripes...

Θ°° Fusion - 18's in Shadow Chrome°°Θ

----------------------------
For a Ford, see Dean (AKA RATT) at Peter Warren Smithfield for a great deal...
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 00:21   #7 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Standard unleaded is the recommened fuel for the XR8. Premium is only for the FPV's. There is no knock sensor either which seems pretty poor as there is provision for one in each bank of the valley. Mustangs have knock sensors so why don't these have them.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:10   #8 (permalink)

I'm surprised that there is no knock sensor. Then maybe it is pinging that we are hearing. The owners manual definately states that unleaded premuim is the recommended fuel. Is there any harm in using Premium Unleaded?
BeansNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 06:34   #9 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

i always use 98 ron fuel..
if you dont want to pay the extra i would at least use 94/95 ron...
i put 91 ron in my wifes hyundai they say we can run it also but for me, no way...

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 06:46   #10 (permalink)

I used OPTIMAX for the first 5000klms with no pinging problems.I have no pinging now since I went back to OPTIMAX either.It just started in the last few weeks and was very bad last week.I'm putting it down to bad fuel batches.I'll stick to OPTIMAX for a few tanks and try unleaded again.
The BAXR8 is fine on unleaded as the comp ratio is lower than the GT which is Premium (98ron) only.
It's interesting though to hear the car doesn't have a knock sensor as I thought it did before this.
I wouldn't believe any of the crap about OPTIMAX.There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.I know,I make it !
Ron
srv dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons