XR8 throttle died - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2003, 19:41   #1 (permalink)
Mmmm, forbidden donut

Question XR8 throttle died

EDIT: I've updated this with more specific info the person gave me

Hi folks,

Friend of mine who has just acquired a Phantom XR8 ran into a funny problem yesterday. To quote them:

Quote:
The temperature was about 12 degrees outside the car. The car had been running for about 2 - 3 minutes before the light came on and it came on when the car was stationary. The car accelerated twice after the light came on but stalled when I stopped at the lights then tried to accelerate (in first gear) to turn the corner. When I restarted the car the light was gone and everything went back to normal. The light has not come back on since.

Last edited by The Mighty XE; 06-18-2003 at 21:49. Reason: Have just got some more specific info from the person
The Mighty XE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2003, 19:45   #2 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

Sounds like a glitch in the software or else an stuffed sensor. A quick stop at a ford dealer will give you a diagnosis
Old 06-17-2003, 20:06   #3 (permalink)

Edited By DK - Contributes nothing and is borderline on a personal attack against another member, therefore removed
Old 06-17-2003, 20:32   #4 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

Oh Yeah! My XR8 did this on the 2nd day and stalled on the 4th day. I know a guy with a GT who had similar problems within the first week, but the problems seemed to disappear. Have also heard of a couple of XR6's with stalling problems for which the treatment was new throttle bodies.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:00   #5 (permalink)
Movin!

If the orange throttle sensor indicator light came on (on right hand side of speedo) it indicates there is a problemn with the drive by wire system. Some parts being electrical out of 1000's, at least the select few are bound to have a problem, same as everything else

If it's stuffed, you will have to replace the assembly including the actual pedal, which could take a while to get the part. But i'm pretty sure that it won't be dangerous eg. throttle jamming on
Old 06-18-2003, 02:09   #6 (permalink)

PCM moniters actual throttle plate position compared to demand from pedal & if a difference between the two exceeds 5% then a forced engine shutdown occurs. I'm not sure this is the cause of all occurances but it may help explain why it will restart & your dealer can't find a fault.
SPALDING GREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:13   #7 (permalink)

When the light came on the vehicle would have logged a DTC. Take it to your dealer and they can retrieve it and erase it. Unfortunately it wont tell them why it did it. Have seen this quite a few times before so it's not an isolated incedent. Sorry i could'nt be more helpfull.
FordTech65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 18:06   #8 (permalink)
Phantom BA XR6

are these problem specific to manual/auto or both
Old 06-20-2003, 01:16   #9 (permalink)

Re: XR8 throttle died

Edited by DK - Contributes nothing

Last edited by Donut King; 06-20-2003 at 01:55.
6speedxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:06   #10 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Re: XR8 throttle died

I assume the first acceleration hit was from driver input - that is to say that the car didn't decide to accelerate on its own.

Some of the VR V8s had a problem of losing half of their electrics due to an electrical bus failure - mine did - just pulled over - turned the car off, turned it back on - it was fine. I wonder if it could be related: its a long shot; but did he notice any of the other electrics go down - ICC, indicators etc ?

Probably Rodderz is closer to the problem.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons