XR8 ute or SS ute - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2004, 04:19   #1 (permalink)

XR8 ute or SS ute

I brought a vz 1 tonner with the new 3.6l engine and it goes like puss and sucks the fuel 17L/100!!
Iam now thinking of trading it in on a auto mk1 xr8 ute with cold air induction, Iam wondering is the xr8 a great ute or should i go with the ss?? Also does the cold air induction do that much and whats the fuel economy like???
denny j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2004, 04:36   #2 (permalink)
BA FALCON XR6™

Re: XR8 ute or SS ute

Get a BA Mark I XR8 mate, you wont regret it!!

As for the Fuel consumption you must have been giving that VZ a belting, Doesnt matter what it is they all drink it.. You can buy a 6 cylinder Falcon and it ill use just as much if you drive it hard / don't give it time to run in. How many Kms on the VZ? I wouldnt expect any decent fuel figures until its done atleast 10,000 kms.
FPV TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 04:47   #3 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

i would say to test drive each and then decided, but also be fair to each brand and not be pig headed towards one brand only. if you buy it, you have to drive it so sum it up properly.
pretend that each brand DOESNT have a badge on it when you test drive it.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:37   #4 (permalink)
.au member

I have heard that SS's are more expensive to insure than XR's? I dont know how true that is, but depending on your age it may be something to consider.

My impressions of the BA range are that if you can afford the fuel costs, then they are the pick of the bunch. But that said, a good GenIII will most likely suck as much out at the bowser as a BOSS. A bad one will also suck the same amount in oil.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:03   #5 (permalink)
Sandwich Connoisseur

If you want straight line speed, go for the SS. A few mods like bigger throttle body and an edit and they fly. But if you want something that's overall a more refined vehicle that's just a pleasure to drive, but still has some balls to put you back in your seat, go the xr8. The BOSS also responds well to mods like the genIII, as a fair few members on here will testify, and a BOSS edit has just been bought onto the market, but the verdict is still out. If you tend to turn over your cars pretty often I'd also go the boss, as ford tends to only bring out a new model every 2/3 years, where as holden seem to every 6 months, killing the resale value.

I6, 5sp Factory Manual , Wade 1636, Pacemaker PH4480s, HF Cat, Cat-Back 2 1/2" Mandrel Bent Lukey Zorst, Car-puter, XR Front and AUII Clear Side Indicators.

Dull Alloy factory mags, ooo yeah.

Proud TQE Operator
donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 13:11   #6 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny j
I brought a vz 1 tonner with the new 3.6l engine and it goes like puss and sucks the fuel 17L/100!!
Iam now thinking of trading it in on a auto mk1 xr8 ute with cold air induction, Iam wondering is the xr8 a great ute or should i go with the ss?? Also does the cold air induction do that much and whats the fuel economy like???
hi Denny J, your about to spend alot of money take both for a good test drive and see which one you like the best also take a turbo ute for a run they go good..
i liked ba xr8 ute, they have a leaf spring rear, have lowered a little looks great..
the holden rear on the ute has a IRS..
GOOD LUCK..
XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 13:40   #7 (permalink)

17L/100 is taking it easy around town, 18L+ if i give it some. It has 9400km on it and it hasnt got any better since i got it. I have taken it back to holden but they say its running fine and thats the ammount of fuel they use. Also it will only do 185km/hr flat out and takes a long time to get to it. I live in the NT with open speed limits so it would be nice to have a car I can open out now and then.
denny j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 15:57   #8 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

I'd go the BA XR8, you just can't go past the bulge, straight line speed bettween the two is stuff all, the falc carries a load better but the commy has a better ride, that's about the only thing the commy has over the falcon, the rest is personal prefrence in look's.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 19:39   #9 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

I can't see how going from a 6 to 8 is going to be better in economy but hey, I'd use that excuse to buy an 8.

Like the others said. Test each one out. The Commie will have straightline speed but not necessarily be the better overall package. You may drive it and think differently tho.

Performance bits wise there's a lot coming on for the new Ford v8 engine including the equivalent "ls1 edit" for Ford.

The SS will definately be more to insure.

Are the load capacities different between the two utes ? Is that something you need to consider ?
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 19:42   #10 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

You could always get an XR6 Turbo Ute... better value for money then both XR8 and SS.. faster then both, and well, the cheapest to get decent street power out of. Probably uses less fuel then SS and XR8 to. My uncle has a 2003 VY SS Ute, and it averages 19L/100km, and he drives it hard.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons