Ford Forums banner

XW, which model

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Aussiblue 
#1 ·
Don't know if any one read the thread in the engine section I posted, but I'll ask here as well. I have a XW but it had one '600' badge in the box of bits that came with it, presumably from the boot. (it seems to fit there). Some say yes, they made a 600, some aren't so sure. I've emailed Ford to ask as well.

Did they make (Ford NZ) a Falcon 600?

Does anyone know where I can decode the vin plate. Aus sites seem to only concentrate on Aus models. Vin is ML23KA. I worked out Falcon 500 and Nov 1970. ML? Isn't 11/70 late for a XW?

#4 ·
greetings all
tag 141
can you let me know how big the badge is as the "500" badge on the ford was around 25mm high & the "600" badge on the F series is around 50mm high

regards
rod

#5 · (Edited)
Ok. Gave it a measure. Hopefully see picture. I asked my local Ford wrecker about it last week and he said with no hesitation that they did. He is also a member of the local Falcon club.

View the picture

I don't mind if they didn't make one, it's just that there seems to be two sides. One definate they did, one definate they didn't. The others are fence sitting.

#6 ·
PM me your full VIN number and I'll decode it for you
Its South African - ML
23 = Falcon 500
KA = Year and month, but based on the South African calendar decoder, not the AUS one
I'm assuming the 600 badge is unrelated, but if you send me the full VIN, will find out for you

#7 ·
well, well, well!!

Just heard a reply from the NZ forum about my '600'. Ford did make a 600 Falcon...

I asked the manager of my Kaitaia branch about this.

He said that yes there was a 600 model. The difference between it and a 500 was......wait for it.......Heater and Carpet standard, maybe a bit of chrome.
It was done to take sales back off the Zephyr Zodiac.
So there you go.

#9 ·
mmmm...

Granted about the carpet and heater but I have had too many people saying about that extra piece of chrome. Almost but not quite up to Fairmont standard, just enough to make it a 600. They would also be NZ new Falcons as well. So maybe a country derivative?
Mine isn't a Fairmont but has a chrome strip around the wheel arches and along the sill, well it used to before it was taken off.

#10 ·
There is a XY Falcon 500(or so I think)in my town it's an original 250-2V in Wild Violet and it has the fairmont wheel arch mould's,I know of the owner and he has had the car since new so I will have a look the next time I see it and have a look at the badge's and see if they are 500 or 600,this may be a vehicle like your's,it is totally original, a car I'd love to get my hand's on,unfortunatly for me he will never sell this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.