You great big piece of $#(*!!!!!!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2004, 09:19   #1 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

You great big piece of $#(*!!!!!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Hello all

Spent tonight putting all my new goodies onto my car....in case you didnt know, they consisted of Slotted rotors front and rear, new pads front and rear and the installation of a whiteline 30mm swaybar

Things were going really well, right until I took my first wheel off

I started with the left rear rotor. I managed to unbolt the caliper, found the piston hadn't seized (yay). Then had a look at the big screw that holds the rotor on. It was ****ed. Rang a local mechanic (as i didnt have a tool to undo it) and he said 'I'll only do it if I replace the rotors'. Cost? 80 bucks. I laughed, but said ok as i need the car. Booked it in for monday. Packed tools up, swore a lot, drank beer.

Then an hour later, my mate rocked up. Told him my story, and he goes 'man, i got an impact driver. Lets get into it'. Finished off my 6th beer, totally full of joy, unpacked tools and got into it. Then, we broke the bit. Shite. Found another. Couldnt get the bastard off. Tried the other side. It came out no worries. Spent another half an hour bashing the crap outta the driver, and it finally came out. Yeeee har! Then tried to pull the rotor off. Whoops, its rusted on! After a good half an hour of swearing and carrying on, we took to it with a big arse hammer. After maybe 20mins of bashing it, it came off. Ditto with the other side. Put new rotors on bled the brakes, and all was apples. Now to the front!

Ok, the front came off really easy. Then it all went back on really easy, until we tightened the swaybar mount on the chassis. Not that we knew it at the time.....

All greased up, new rotors on, those lovely green EBC pads looking splended....I then seen two washers on the ground. Where did they come from? The bloody swaybar mounts on the lower control arm! Spent another half an hour undoing those damn nuts, except now i had a rotor in the way. Fun fun fun. Finally, got the sucker all put back together, cleaned up, wheels on. Awesome. Took it out for a drive, turned out of my driveway and heard a massive clunk from the front left. Mind ticks over....whats gone wrong. Stabbed the brake a few times, had a good pedal, turned the wheel a few times, no more noise.......something was just seating itself i told. Had a nice straight road to bed in the brakes, got a few stabs at it, good pedal feel but no brakes. Obviously needed a bit more go to almost whoa action to bed them in. No worries, got plenty of time, found a nice windy road.......

Got to the first corner where i could throw the car around, and WHAM! a massive bang from the front. Then a real tinny sound, kinda like I just dropped a brake bit onto the road. Many, many expletives expressed. Pulled up, got out only to find a swaybar mounting bracket lying on the road. WTF? Had a look under the car. What had happened, is that the bolts pulled the thread out of the mount attached to the chassis. I couldnt believe it. Had a bit of a tantrum, got back in the car, turned on the hazards and had a pleasant 5km/h drive back home....with no brakes still.

So now, tomorrow or monday I have to find someone who can come out and throw a helicoil or something into the mount. And take a walk up to the local wrecker and get a new bolt (i found one near the bracket, dunno where the other one went). Lucky the bush is still sitting around the swaybar...

So that was my night. to say im not impressed is the biggest understatement of the year. I just hope i can find someone mobile who can come out and get this thing fixed, or there is a local engineering shop who can do it....otherwise, im screwed.

Hating Life
old_mate

oh and btw, i finished those beers at 6 and didnt drive till midnight, in case you were wondering.....

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2004, 13:04   #2 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Re: You great big piece of $#(*!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate

oh and btw, i finished those beers at 6 and didnt drive till midnight, in case you were wondering.....
Suuuuuuuuuure you did

When I did my fronts it took a while before they came good.

Jeez garth I hope parts dont fall off those Qantas planes you fix..
Old 10-15-2004, 16:33   #3 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

I had a similar problem with one of my swaybar mounts (didn't drive on it though. lol )

What i did was get a bolt that is similar size (perhaps a tiny bit thinner), but longer. Then you can slip a nut for this new bolt between the existing thread and the chassis. When you put the new bolt in it'll go staight through the existing thread, and bite into the nut above it.

If that makes any sense... lol

Cheers,
Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 18:09   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

That's seriously tough luck Garth. :o(

It's the reason why I don't touch brakes on my car, I'd rather pay the $80 or whatever...

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 19:45   #5 (permalink)
Operation E-Series Hoon™

Brakes are easy as long as they've been changed regularly..

What is all this talk of control arms, etc? Why did you touch them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
Stop putting stupid yagz quotes in your stupid signatures you stupid people!
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 19:55   #6 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
I started with the left rear rotor. I managed to unbolt the caliper, found the piston hadn't seized (yay). Then had a look at the big screw that holds the rotor on. It was ****ed
Just use a big screw driver and a hammer to get that phillipsheaded bolt out lol I think im too late to post it
Old 10-16-2004, 04:09   #7 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

Thats tough luck Garth, hope it turns out ok for ya, you can by helicoil kits from Repco, don't know what they're worth but we occasionally use em at work.

With the brakes the idea of bedding them in is to not get the pads fully hot, so no hard stops and don't exceed a bout 50km/h, come to nearly a complete stop then go again about 8 times leaving a little bit of time between each stop and you should be laughing. Alos those pads might need a bit of heat in them to get some bite happening
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:36   #8 (permalink)
formerly sikEA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
Brakes are easy as long as they've been changed regularly..

What is all this talk of control arms, etc? Why did you touch them?

Because I put a new Whiteline Swaybar into the thing.

I got it all sorted today, rang around a few places, some dude wanted $130 plus GST to fix the two threads.....I laughed

I ended up buying two new high tensile 8mm bolts, same as the originals just slightly longer, and spent an hour piss farting about installing them with a new nut that sits above the old ones. Thank god Ford have holes right above these bolt holes, as my new bolts disappear well into the chassis rail

Finally got to drive it today, and damn what an improvement! I managed to stand on the brakes as hard as I could at 80km/h after bedding them in for a while, and I couldnt believe how well it stopped. And the ABS didnt kick in either. I have driven in a Skyline with AP racing brakes, and the old Fairmont doesnt stop as well as that, but the improvement over stock is sensational. And yes Ed, these EBC pads need a little heat to work properly....

The swaybar is possibly the best mod of all though. Throw it into the corner, SFA body roll, get on the gas and it all squats down nicely. Intentionally give it too much stick, and the arse slides out all over the place (not bad considering I have 235 rubber on it, and LSD). Even just general tootling around the car feels much nicer to drive. I dont think i'll go with the big rear swaybar now, probably will go find a XR6 item instead

...mmm clevo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
And Yagz, come back in six months faggot
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:46   #9 (permalink)

Good to hear its turned out good :)
I like the sound of that improvement!
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 07:32   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

That's good work man! Nice to see that someone noticed some improvement after changing swaybars.

It took me about an hour to change my front one, which included new bushes on the links and all that. It probably seems to all stick together a bit more in the front but not much at all. Sometimes bigger swaybars can be a step backwards.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons