To you, what makes a car a GT - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2004, 21:41   #1 (permalink)
Two Letters, GT!

To you, what makes a car a GT

With the age of most GT's except the latest breed. So many of the parts have been changed. For insantce. You can buy an old rusted paddock basher, replace all the panels and slot in a new 351, give it an all new interior, modernise the suspension and ignition etc. But its still considered a GT. Even though virtually the entire car is changed.

So im guessing it must be the compliance plates that say its a GT. As long as the chasis is still the same one it is a gt. Obviously GT's are held in best regard when they are matching number cars and not restored. Which are few and far between.

Whats your thoughts on fully restored GT's some of which dont have the original engine or gearbox. Are they less a GT?

74' Sandstone Biege XBGT, 351, FMX, Sunroof, Air Con, Power Steering.
Black EX-R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 00:33   #2 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

Re: To you, what makes a car a GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black EX-R6
Whats your thoughts on fully restored GT's some of which dont have the original engine or gearbox. Are they less a GT?
Yes, IMO they are less, also a GT with compliance plate that has been reshelled is not an genuine GT.
I would love a 6 speed in my GT, but i cant do it, will stay with the toploader.
falcon coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:14   #3 (permalink)
PHAT COUPES

I think a GT is a car that came from the factory a GT .
I also think owning a GT becomes a responsablity . I own a XA GT coupe and as above would love to change things such as 4 link rear end but think a GT should only have bolt on bolt of things done so it always retains its GT heritage . If you want to highly mod a car try to do it to a normal falcon .
Rebuilding a GT with new interior different shocks and the rest is not going to make it a non GT
This is just my view
tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:20   #4 (permalink)
The Big Yellow Cruizer

Who cares ,just enjoy YOUR car as you like it
WAXBFAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 15:50   #5 (permalink)

mine the threads on www.falcongtclub.org and allow 3 days to read them lol

Actually, that is a bit harsh. Most GT owners undersand that at 30, and in some cases 35 years old, these cars need freshening up and a lot of maintenance. The basic rule is, replace it with the same item it was built with. I have seen two GTs with the original fan belt on them. But I dont think I'd trust driving it across town :-)

Restoration is fine, and encouraged. The car has to be safe, and what you want it to be. When restoring, you can spend $15k, or up to $55k (no I'm not kidding).It simply a matter of correct parts. NOS if possible, if not the best available. But the golden rule is, GTs didnt come with nitrous or powerglides :-)
www.falcongtclub.org
XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 22:46   #6 (permalink)
New toy in the shed

I think a GT is a car that came from the factory a GT .
I also think owning a GT becomes a responsablity.

I could not agree with you more. I have a Wild violet with white interior and they only did i think from memory it was 25 so it is quite rear compered to sum, and it has not been changed at all. It got a full resto in 1984 and it has covered about 1,00 ks since and it will never se another owner in my life time. (so says my dauter).
ch7472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 22:54   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

If I owned a GT I couldn't bear to change anything. If a panel had rust I'd rather fork out three times as much as a new panel cost to get it repaired.

That's why I'm going for a non-GT to play with, so I can molest it and still sleep at night.
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 23:24   #8 (permalink)
heard it before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho chicken
If I owned a GT I couldn't bear to change anything. If a panel had rust I'd rather fork out three times as much as a new panel cost to get it repaired.

That's why I'm going for a non-GT to play with, so I can molest it and still sleep at night.
i agree, i would love to have a GT looking beast with better brakes, late model wheels, different stereo, steering wheel etc.
wouldn't want to UN GT a genuine article
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:20   #9 (permalink)
wizardry

i have a fairmont hardtop and a 2 falc 500,s guess what gents the engineers that designed and built the hard tops originally would use every thing that we have today if it had been available back then so just build it the way you want and enjoy
wizardry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 13:33   #10 (permalink)
The Supreme Machine!

GT's should be kept totally original IMO, if you want to modify/make big changes to suit your tastes, do it to a replica,like what im doing :) BUILD YOUR OWN CAR!

1960 FB Holden Wagon: (Tha Yella Terra) 192ci 6cyl,4spd, 13x7 Chromies.

NA fairlane ghia 5.0
XA_GT_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons