08 Lincoln MKZ front wheel wobble - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 06:38   #1 (permalink)

08 Lincoln MKZ front wheel wobble

Someone in my family hit a curb or pothole last year (nobody will confess) and bent the front right wheel rim so that it wouldn't hold air and had to replace it. Now, I have been hearing a noise from that side so jacked it up and can feel something is loose when wobbling the wheel. Took wheel, caliper, and rotor off and can see the end of the axle move sightly when I wiggle it. I'm thinking CV shaft??? Wheel hub? Noise was getting worse. Can see the CV boot move as I do this also. Is it hard to change? What do I have to do? Anyone input appreciated!!!! Thanks, Doug
doug rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 05:23   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 08 Lincoln MKZ front wheel wobble

Could have damaged wheel bearing or c/v joint .May have also bent something and thrown steering geometry out .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:29   #3 (permalink)

Thanks RS. Worked on it for hours sunday and could not get the hub off...Sucked it up, put it back together and took it in. It was the wheel bearing and is fixed.....$205. Ouch! But...just glad it wasn't anything worse..
Old 05-18-2011, 08:31   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Glad to hear that it's fixed. Even though it cost some, you can be sure that it's safe to drive.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:25   #5 (permalink)

Talked to the ASE mechanics and even with their press and all the right equipment, he said it was a DEVIL of a job. Never could have done it myself with pry bars and such. The whole knuckle had to come off to put it on the press to get the bearing out. I'm happy! Thanks guys and it drives great now.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:41   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Thanks for the update.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:16   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

At the end of the day , going by what the ASE mechanics said , $205 well spent . Think of all the scraped knuckles , frayed tempers and frustration you saved yourself !!! Also you know now your car is right for all family members to use again .
Old 05-18-2011, 11:35   #8 (permalink)

Absolutely RS! Wife's car and I want her safe! Thanks
By the way....smashed one finger on sunday not to mention the frayed temper I had and this 61 year old body??? LOL! Stiff and sore after trying to do it. I'm good now though. Cost was actually $199 when I picked it up AND has a lifetime bearing in it. I was going to put a cheap Chinese 1 year if I'd have gotten it apart...Shouldn't have to worry about doing it AGAIN in 13 months! LOL! Doug
Old 05-18-2011, 12:11   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

After spending a lifetime in the motor industry , and now retired , know exactly what you mean re. sore and stiff through using muscles not used for many a day and hands that are now too soft / easily cut . Usually takes me a few days to recover from doing any of our family cars nowadays . If needing any further help , get back to board , all the best .
Old 05-18-2011, 13:23   #10 (permalink)

will do. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline