1967 Select-A-Matic sometimes not engaging in any forward gear - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 15:11   #1 (permalink)

1967 Select-A-Matic sometimes not engaging in any forward gear

I have a '67 MG Midget with a Mustang 289, Ford 8" rear axle, and a C4 Select-A-Matic in it, which I'm told came out of a '67 Fairlane GT. Every once in a while, I start the car up and it refuses to engage in 1, 2, or drive, but engages perfectly in reverse every time. It's not the dreaded "morning sickness," because so far it always engages perfectly in the morning when I first start it up. I could drive the car several times in the same day with no problems, but occasionally it just doesn't engage until it's damned good and ready to. Once I'm moving, it continues to work perfectly and shifts are quick and firm. It never disengages once it's moving. The only thing I can think of is the linkage feels sloppy, like the bushings are worn, but sliding from 1st through 2nd and drive, I would expect it to catch in one of them even if the linkage was sloppy. Fluid level is where it should be, and a nice healthy red color. Anybody have any ideas of what I should be checking to narrow it down?
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 10:27   #2 (permalink)

Re: 1967 Select-A-Matic sometimes not engaging in any forward gear

Buehler?

Anyone?

Anyone?
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 14:30   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Sorry. I'm not familiar enough to help much. Other than need to determine if its in the Trans or linkage. The c4 is a simple unit but I've never messed with that style shifter

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 19:11   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

That is a tough one. Not many selectamatics out there. r-clar's right, you have to separate whether it's the tranny or the linkage. I'd try to tighten up the linkage and see what happens
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline