1989 Ke Laser 5 Speed Manual Help?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2003, 00:36   #1 (permalink)
AUII S

confused 1989 Ke Laser 5 Speed Manual Help??

Hey all need a little help

My Girlfriend drives an 89 Laser 5 Speed Manual, controlled by a carby.
She has recently had a problem, where she will be driving along in gear fine and the Pedal is in a slightly touched position (to maintain current speed).

All of a sudden the Car jerks and begins to drop in speed (she wasn’t changing gear at the time just cursing at 80km the first time it happened.) The engine has turned off (all warning lights are present Battery Oil, power is fine radio working) etc.

She turns the car over and it starts fine, and runs fine. No more then a minute after it happened.

This has happened twice in 3 days (however the car wasn’t used very much in those days) once whilst in 2nd gear and the other in 4th. It happened while the engine was at normal running temp.

Any ideas please help?
Amp - Eclipse PA5422
Fronts - Alpine SPS-571A
Rears - RockFord Fosgate T1572C
JMM Mods Some Day

vbman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2003, 18:46   #2 (permalink)

I have limited knowledge of the oilly bits in cars. It'll show in the following paragraphs.

Used to have a KE TX3 (EFI). Shouldnt make a diff though.

Find the spark plugs. Follow the leads back to the... (distributor?). The cable in the back of that, follow that back to a small little box (if i remeber correctly) near the airbox on the front left corner of the engine bay.

This cable should go in one side, and on the other side, another black cable disapppears somewhere into the engine bay. My problem lay with that cable. Where it plugs into the little box, it kept coming loose, and i had similar troubles as you have described. Remove the rubber dust cover (pull it off), pull that cable out the little box (it just clips in i think). Bend the clips in a bit and plug her back in.

Whenever i drove, that cable jiggled loose, kills the engine you see. Took it to a mechanic and they wanted to replace modules(?) at a casual $600. Hope this helps. Keep us informed on the outcome.

btw, i have a set mags for a KE laser i wouldnt mind getting rid of. 17" x 7", new tyres, $1500. Interested?
Old 03-14-2003, 19:56   #3 (permalink)
AUII S

mr brock thanks for your help will be checking that out 2morrow for sure, and ill let you know of the results I also bought a new fuel filter for it will put that in too, just to help eliminate something else.

Mags sorry dont have that kind of money at the moment. Would be nice but.
Amp - Eclipse PA5422
Fronts - Alpine SPS-571A
Rears - RockFord Fosgate T1572C
JMM Mods Some Day

vbman187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 21:05   #4 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

this is weird it's happening on my g/f KC EFI must be electrical.
It's only happened twice though.
I'll try what you said MRbrock
Old 03-14-2003, 22:18   #5 (permalink)

Yeah mine was very irregular. Sometimes it would happen twice in a day, or once a month. Everytime it happend i ended up pulling off the distributor, cleaning it, putting it back together, just so happend that everytime i did that, i checked all my leads and plugs throughout the engine bay - made sure they were all secure. All that effort for nothing really.
I only found out about whilest i was checking my belts one day whilest idling on the drive - bonnet up - put my hand on the lttle box, next thing i knew the engine died!!
MrBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline