Ford Forums banner

1992 merc marquis wit trans problems

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  390wagon 
#1 ·
i have a 1992 mercury grand marquis and i am havin trans problems. i can feel the car shift into gear and everything but when i press the gas i have very lil forward motion and it drives in reverse fine and i drop the pan and filter and trans fluid was fine and didnt c any metal shavings in the pan. on another site i read that it has a common problem wit the torque converter going bad. i was wondering is the actually the problem and should i just change the torque converter or get a whole new transmission

#2 ·
i would find a trustworthy tranny shop and see what they think or find a shop that has a tranny dyno. i would have to guess that if the converter was junk then reverse wouldnt work either. will the car move at all? if not jack the rear wheels up and see it it will accelerate and shift into second. if the fluid was clean it should be a valvebody problem, burnt clutches or bands make a mess of the fluid and filter.

#3 ·
390wagon said:
i would find a trustworthy tranny shop and see what they think or find a shop that has a tranny dyno. i would have to guess that if the converter was junk then reverse wouldnt work either. will the car move at all? if not jack the rear wheels up and see it it will accelerate and shift into second. if the fluid was clean it should be a valvebody problem, burnt clutches or bands make a mess of the fluid and filter.
the car does move when i put it in drive but it moves very slow and i can feel and hear the change in engine sound when it shifts

#7 ·
does it make a difference if you put the shifter in low and shift it manually? i'm not sure how involved the computer is with the tranny on a 92 but with a scanner you might be able to get some info. i'm running out of ideas, you really need to see how much pressure it has at each shift but i dont know where to install the gauge on that trans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.