2002 Explorer Transmission - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2005, 04:30   #1 (permalink)

Arrow 2002 Explorer Transmission

I am experiencing what seems to be either a clunking sound or slip when I accelerate moderately. If I take it easy it normally shifts a little rough but I don't notice any slipping or clunking. This happens between shifts 0-40 mph. Also, I don't know if this is related but sometimes when I stop if I stop abruptly I feel a slip in the front end. If I stop as smooth as possible I don't feel anything. I just purchased this vehicle and it has 71k miles, it is a 2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD V8. I don't know if this is a problem but it is a little annoying since I just purchased it and didn't notice this during my test drive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

------------
David - St. Louis,MO
ExplorerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2005, 09:55   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: 2002 Explorer Transmission

check the fluid level in the trans.
When checking see how dirty the fluid is.

It could be as simple as low fluid or fairly dirty fluid. It could be as bad as trans going out.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:42   #3 (permalink)
sr2chickie

Re: 2002 Explorer Transmission

actually the same thing happened to my sr2 the trans flauid was reallly dirty...not i need a new trans...i got my car 7 months ago..i arn't happy about mine. get it checked out before it gets worse
sr2chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:23   #4 (permalink)

Arrow Re: 2002 Explorer Transmission

I drove my explorer last night and thought of something. I have been driving with overdrive on. I turned overdrive off and there wasn't any slipping or clunking, but the shifts seemed a little rough. Another thing I noticed was, is that when I "gun" it and at around the 2nd gear or so I feel a little resistance or scratchy noise for about 3 seconds and then it goes away once it reaches the next gear. I don't know if this has to do with the transmission or engine. Also, everytime I punch the gas I hear a little scratchy noise in the front end that sounds similar to a diesel accelerating. Does this sound like an issue?

All the help is appreciated.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:52   #5 (permalink)

Arrow Re: 2002 Explorer Transmission

I took the explorer into the shop and they determined I have a bad torque converter. They said this was the cause of the rattling noise when accelerating and they would see if it fixes the rest of the noticeable shifting problems. Thankfully it is under warranty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline