2008 Ford escape Tranny Problems! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 11:52   #1 (permalink)

2008 Ford escape Tranny Problems!

2008 Escape Ltd Tranny Issues - Please Help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------Sorry I posted this first in thew wrong forum, hopefully this is the right place.

Hi everyone,

I have an 08 Escape LTD with about 100K on it. This thing has been a lemon from day one with 31 warranty issues addressed in over 20 visits. Since April 2007, I have probably been without the thing for at least 90 days.

Lots of problems but the transmission one I am having this time bothers me.

I have had the AC Condenser replaced twice.

The tranny and been re & re'd on another occasion for a leaking main seal

In July it was brought in because of hard shifts when slowing down and then softly hitting the gas and I lost the vehice for about a month. The replaced some tranny parts but the invoice was not specific.

Now, just over a month after it seemed mostly fine until the weather got a little cooler. On take off, it is slipping right off the bat the first couple of times and then will not do it again. Also, it is still hard shift and making some clunks at all types of different speeds. Well, I bring it to the dealer again and after having it for only 1 day the service manager gets his admin to leave me a message and say the truck is ready for pick up. No fault found. They clain they tightened the stabilizer links but I am assuming they were okay.

I have to go back tonight and test drive it with the guy but I know it will not do it if the car has already been running and also it is warmer mid day.

Any of yo guys or girls have an idea of what this could be? I think the tranny needs to be replaced and that the dealer just does not want to fix it as it would be under warranty still.

Many thanks everyone!

JJ MONIE
JJMONIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 20:11   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 2008 Ford escape Tranny Problems!

Verify with the dealer that all TSB's or technical service bulletins, specifically software updates, have been installed. Also, read your owners manual and check the trans fluid level if you haven't done so. I'm not sure if the newer Escape's are entirely sealed, meaning it's a dealer service item only (like the Jeep Liberty from 08+ that don't have a trans dip stick!). A slipping transmission generally means that the fluid level is low, in a worst case scenario the gears themselves are causing problems or the valve body is clogged causing flow problems.

As the transmission is computer controlled it can throw a code on it's own, and be brief enough that you probably didn't notice the light even flash on the dash. Codes are generally stored in the computer for up to 50 restarts before it gets purged. Just FYI.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline