3.23" LSD Diff - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2003, 03:49   #1 (permalink)

3.23" LSD Diff

gidday,

approx how much would i be looking at for one of these?

anyone know what they came on standard?

and what kinda diff would be on a xe spack 4speed manual?

cheers,
OverDose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2003, 04:10   #2 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Pretty much all the 4.1ltr XE/XF's had either 2.77 or 2.97 geared diffs, both manuals and autos. The 3.3ltr modes had 3.23's but not LSD's. There were some other ratios but they are really rare.

To get a 3.23 LSD you will have to go to a EB onward diff ( I can't remember if EA's had them, or if they were LSD's ) or get a coil spring LSD from a XE/XF fairmont ghia and a 3.3ltr diff and swap the centers. Probably easier to try getting one from a wrecked EF/EL XR6 or 8. Try to get the speedo sender gear from the same car, makes life much easier!

Or if you are really brave try finding a coil spring 9" LSD, or get a leaf sprung one and have your diff shop convert it. Depends on how much you are putting through to it.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:14   #3 (permalink)

i got a 3.3litre auto with an LSD, im pretty sure but i was told it was a 2.92

theyre anyway to find out?
OverDose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 04:53   #4 (permalink)

Re: 3.23" LSD Diff

Many XD/E utes had 3.23 LSD std. Only a 2 pin lsd, though.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:13   #5 (permalink)
Whats traction?

it gets hard if it has been played with. If someone has put an LSD from a fairmont in there without swapping centers there will usually be a tag on the diff stating what ratio it is. If it has been played with counting the teeth on the gears is the only true way to detirmine the ratio.

You can try jacking up the car under the diff (use axle stands for this job too!!!), taking off the handbrake and putting the car in neutral and spinning the tailshaft by hand 20 times. Mark a wheel at the top wiht a bit of masking tape and a corresponding mark above it on the wheel arch. Then count how many times it passes that point (Better to have a mate give you a hand), eg if you spin the tailshaft 20 times and the wheel spins 6.7 (approx) times you have a 2.9:1 center. If it spins 5.7 (approx) times you have a 3.5:1 center, etc. (Formula is 20 divide by X amount of turns).

This can be impacted by a dodgy LSD center or pretty much any other fault with the diff may ruin your result. Best to try the test a few times and compare.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:19   #6 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Re: 3.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBT56
Many XD/E utes had 3.23 LSD std. Only a 2 pin lsd, though.
The XD's did have a better choice of ratios but the problem is Ford changed the diff housing design in the XE and the centers aren't compatible between the old and the new. Also the utes were leaf sprung.

I've never personally checked into it but I have it on good advise the XE utes use the old XD housings, not the updated XE ones. I just submitted and bought a XG diff for my station wagon.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:36   #7 (permalink)

Not so. The hemisphere and crown wheel went from small bolt to large bolt design. All ford BW gears will supersede forward, they just won't (always) go back.
Old 07-14-2003, 15:52   #8 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Quote:
Not so. The hemisphere and crown wheel went from small bolt to large bolt design. All ford BW gears will supersede forward, they just won't (always) go back.
If you have done a swap sucessfully congrats. I have not tried one after the bloke at Keysborough diffs told me it was impossible without combining the old housing with the coil sprung axle housings.

I have put centura gears in an XD LSD before which worked well but was told of the problems when trying to move the same center over to the XE housing.
Old 07-15-2003, 04:53   #9 (permalink)

Early stuff is 75 series. Late stuff is 78 series. I have put early gears into ED XR8, AU XR8, XG, etc. I put XF gears into an XW housing last week. All go straight in. He is mistaken. I find a lot of people make in out to be harder than it is to warrant a ridiculous price.
Old 07-15-2003, 19:11   #10 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Quote:
Early stuff is 75 series. Late stuff is 78 series. I have put early gears into ED XR8, AU XR8, XG, etc. I put XF gears into an XW housing last week. All go straight in. He is mistaken. I find a lot of people make in out to be harder than it is to warrant a ridiculous price.
Thanks for the tips :s5

Because he didn't try to charge any obscene price I didn't think twice about it, but now that I think about it he did try to sell me a 9" instead ... Hmmmm (his ploy didn't work tho. I got rid of the car after I got my XD, which has a 9"!).

Out of intrest, do you know if the 3.45:1 gears and axles from an XG ute single spinner will fit into an XD LSD? I was not even going to try the gear swap (because of the now proven dodgy advise) and i've been searching for early falcon/centura sets to stuff in the LSD, but if there is a chance it might work i'll give it a bash!.

Last edited by xdc351; 07-15-2003 at 19:18.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Trans | Driveline